Best HIIT DVD for a newbie???

Options
I'm looking to increase my cardio and have heard great things about HIIT based workouts. I dont have a huge amount of free time and heard HIIT can produce great results in as little as 15 min a day several days a week. I am not currently working out regularly but at almost 20lbs lost from diet alone I think its a perfect time to start. I'm an ex athlete so I'm familiar with what its like to be in shape but I havent been for almost 10 years and I miss it! I'm not going to lie to myself again and get a gym membership that I may or may not use effectively. But by having something at home staring me in the face after work I am more confident I can and will stick with it.

So my question is what beginner HIIT at home DVD would you suggest??? I'm getting lost looking at all the choices. I'm sure none of them will be easy and I want it to burn so good :wink: . However its important that I can do it without hating it...at least initially so I will get into a routine of consistently working out.

Replies

• CatholicUK
    CatholicUK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred is pretty intense! There is someone to copy if you're particularly unfit and another if you think you can step it up a notch, doing the same exercise but different intensity.
  • laurenjessica315
    laurenjessica315 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started Insanity on Monday :) It's intense but I'm enjoying it! Am trying to tone up:)
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just finished Turbo Fire and really enjoyed it. This is a combo of cardio and HIIT. I was able to lose about 20 lbs in three months. It was a lot of fun - combination of dance, aerobics, and kickboxing - and it was the fun part that made me stick with it. I actually started to enjoy working out. It is intense (hence the weight loss) but you don't seem to notice as much because the routines are so engaging.

I have since moved onto Insanity, which also contains a lot of HIIT exercises. It is pretty intense - and you notice the intensity because there is no dancing in this one! :-) I was big into track and field in high school and this is pretty much what this reminds me of......that or football practice. :-)

I was really athletic in my youth also, then I let it all go for years. It is amazing how quickly your body remembers. I think whatever you choose, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how your body changes. Best of luck!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about this: http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/cathe-friedrichs-cardio-hiit-5796

You should be able to find Tabata HIIT videos on YouTube as well.
  • Cruella24
    Cruella24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred is pretty intense! There is someone to copy if you're particularly unfit and another if you think you can step it up a notch, doing the same exercise but different intensity.

I second Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - it is amazing! I am hoping to do the other one she did too when I am done this one...
  • TChester_05
    TChester_05 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks! There are so many to choose from but sounds like 30 day shred or the Turbo fire are good ones to check out mixing in dancing in TF def sounds fun! The last time I was athletic really was college I played basketball. And that feels like forever ago lol. Gotta start somewhere though...thanks again!
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It depends on what YOU LIKE to do, so you will stick with it. Personally dancing was NEVER exercise to me...so I was drawn to Zumba. I use to be a personal trainer and was trained to do a few minutes of cardio then strength training then 20 min. of cardio. Something about having your heart rate up while you are strength training. But then again that was in the 80's? What do you think? Ballet was the MOST INTENSE exercise I have EVER done.
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The Turbo Fire HiiTs are great !! And the shortest one is 15 minutes. You can also get free Tabata workouts on You Tube. Those are really good and free! Go search Mindy Mylrea Tabata on you tube.
  • nbeth901
    nbeth901 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It depends on what YOU LIKE to do, so you will stick with it. Personally dancing was NEVER exercise to me...so I was drawn to Zumba. I use to be a personal trainer and was trained to do a few minutes of cardio then strength training then 20 min. of cardio. Something about having your heart rate up while you are strength training. But then again that was in the 80's? What do you think? Ballet was the MOST INTENSE exercise I have EVER done.

GREAT reply! I agree. She should buy what is most appealing to her. Like going to the grocery store. Buy what you know you wanna eat! :wink:
  • achillesheel93
    Options
    I did 30DS for the first 15 days and while it's good for working out I find it quite repetitive as you're doing the same video every day for 10 days, and then the next video you do every day for 10 days etc. I get bored easily! But I start Insanity soon and as it's constantly changing things it'll be less repetitive. Shop around, watch the videos on youtube to see which is most appealing before buying any yourself!
  • TChester_05
    TChester_05 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    How long are each of the workouts on 30 DS??
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Buy a GymBoss and learn all forms of lunges and squats - then do your own HIIT workouts including weights or resistance bands, playing your own music and dancing to the beat of your own drum.

Make a loop tape saying "You are awesome" "Yes, feel the burn" "Two More" "Shake it out" "YEAH" "YEAH"
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    It's not a DVD, but it is FREE: Bodyrock.Tv -just google it. average workout is about 12-15minutes, but it's a killer :happy:
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The 30 DS routines are about 20 minutes each. You alternate between strength training and cardio. The strength training part is pretty good, especially if you are using heavier weights. I alternate between 5 lbs and 7 lbs depending on the exercise. The cardio is okay, but not as intense as other programs.

Hope that helps!

By the way, there are three different workouts in 30 DS. You are supposed to work on the first for a while and then move up to the next and then the next. All are 20 minutes long.