Pregnant and not eating. NEED SUPPORT.

Options

Replies

• stillthesamegirl
    stillthesamegirl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this in a negative way at all. I'm sorry you are going through such a tough time.. But you're baby did not ask to be put into this situation and deserves a mother that can give it everything it needs. I know you realize this which is why you are asking for help and that is great that you want to improve your situation. It may be good for you to eat tiny things that are full of protein or nutrients throughout the day.. that way you don't have to think too much you just force it down. Try protein shakes or eating some almonds or other nuts, cheese strings, banana's and eat them as much as you possibly can. That way you are getting the calories but it doesn't feel like as much of a task. I do also suggest you find a support group outside of MFP. It will really help you feel like you have someone while your husband is gone and it can help you with your emotional/eating issues. I truly wish you the best and I hope you get to see your husband soon. I can't imagine how hard that must be. Congratulations on your pregnancy!
  • stephenmarbut
    Options
    I didn't read past the original post so this may be redundant, but bring your OBGYN into the picture as soon as you can. They should absolutely be involved in this issue. They can help direct you to the right spot (nutrition, counselling, whatever). Since you are consuming less food its more important than ever to hit the prenatal supplements. If you don't have those, they'll give them to you at the OB.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

About a week and a half ago, my husband left to start Army Basic Combat Training. Today is the first day that I don't feel like a complete wreck emotionally (I think normally I'd be able to suck it up a little better, but I'm 17 weeks pregnant and HORMONAL!!!). Unfortunately, I have been struggling with my eating since his departure as well, and have lost 2 pounds in one week. I can't be taking in much more than 500 calories a day, which is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous. And I mean, OBVIOUSLY I'm going to take up the issue with my Doctor at my next prenatal appointment-which is on Friday, but aside from that, I'm just looking for supportive people who wouldn't mind being friends, thus forcing me to hold myself accountable for my actions a little more. I'm DEFINTIELY not on here to diet. Just to hopefully help me get an insight into how much I'm actually eating, and then slowly improving that for my health.

I would probably discuss with your doctor in this case what would be best for you. I really hope everything gets better sweetheart. A really tough time to have your man away and being pregnant. Try to stay socially active with friends that are positively influential during this process. Staying active in the gym is another way to make this go by easier.
  • my_bleu
    my_bleu Posts: 12
    Options
    Don't worry so much about losing weight- I can't help but feel like letting it stress you out will cause you to lose more weight- it really seems like you are stuck in a cycle. My mom lost 30 lbs with both her pregnancies (morning sickness) and my sister and I both turned out fine. The baby will get what he/she needs from you regardless of whether you are eating or not. This might result in hair loss, brittle nails, bad teeth, loose skin, or any other number of vitamin deficient symptoms in your body, so for your own good, try to at least take vitamins/ protein shakes, something.

Congrats on your new addition. You will fall in love like never before :)
  • jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    It gets easier (family member in the forces)

it is difficult especially first few weeks but push through it, take care of yourself and your baby.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm not a military wife, I had severe depression during my pregnancy and couldn't eat. My OB suggested those nutritional shakes--I think they were called Boost. Then she scolded me for not eating. I deserved it. But the shakes helped soooo much! Good luck and I hope you feel better.

ETA nothing of value :P
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    good luck adding a a baby into that mix.

yikes.

Yeah, because that is not a horrid thing to say!

To the OP, I had really bad PND and PTSD and stopped eating enough. That, believe it or not, is how I gained all my wieght! I had to work really hard to learn to eat again and now I eat more to weigh less and feel horrid if I don't eat enough! I am totally up for helping you stay accountable with your eating and helping you to eat more! I do also understand how you feel and I am always up for suporting someone who is going though the ringer! Feel free to add me! And keep you chin up! You seem to be getting some great advice here esspecially about the military wives!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options

yikes.

He's in basic. He'll be back in a few months. She's hormonal and yes she needs to eat and hydrate but holy crap cut her some slack!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Chin up coconut. It's only basic. He'll be back in a few months and he'll be ripped! :drinker:

Military life is stressful to say the least but you'll learn the ropes quickly! My husband and I have been through many ups and downs and had three babies in the mix! I understand hormonal, I cried once because a car passed me on the interstate. JUST passed me and nothing else and I broke down. The hormones will calm down.

As others have said you do need to hydrate and provide nourishment not only to the baby but to yourself as well. Take your vitamins and if you can't stomach them take gummi vitamins. Be sure to get that fluid though especially since it's summer. If you want to talk feel free to add me! All the best!:smile:

EDIT~ smoothie idea is WONDERFUL!
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Your have the right to feel this way. I am not pregnant yet but trying right now but hubby was in the military for 6 years and he retired July 2011. My husband was deployed to Iraq in January 2009-2010.
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    oh how i remember that!! I lost 6 pounds right away do to being nauseous all the time though. I think the smoothie idea is very good. Baby technically only needs 300 extra calories a day from you to grow. I would for sure think that itts to do with anxiety or something because your husband went away...I would be the same way!! :(
  • Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be friends and help support you! I'm going to request you right now! Hope you and baby are doing well!

~Glynis
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options

yikes.

Way to be supportive... For some people, pregnancy can bring on depression, throw her husband being gone right now into that and it probably isn't helping. Have you ever been pregnant? Not every pregnancy is rainbows and unicorns
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My mom lost like 15 pounds during her first few months with me due to "morning" sickness. Talk to your doctor. They would be able to help you find things you can eat if the problem is keeping food down. Congratulations!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    eat foods that at least get some nutrients, like eat salads and peanut butter, not together though, might be yucky =P And definitely at least take your vitamins! I had a rough time eating with my 2nd daughter, as long as I drank enough and took my vitamins, they didn't make it see like TOO big of an issue.
  • staceface519
    Options
    i can tell you a really sad story. . . . ive been pregnant 3 times and only have one child. . . the first time i was pregnant i was so scared about gaining 30 pounds i ended up losing weight in which i miscarried at 9 months. . . it was teh WORST experience of my life. . . . my second pregnancy i was so stressed (but eating) from my job i miscarried again. . . . then some months later i got pregnant again and now i have my wonderful little girl. . . i DID gain 30 pounds but i had to realize that whatever i do affects a little beating heart. . . if ur not eating that means tha baby is getting no nutrition and barely forming. . . i even had morning sickness for the first 3 months with my daughter but once that went away i ate everything and anything to make sure she got the proper nutrition. . . . you may be a hormonal wreck ( i remember those days) but you need to look at the bigger future that theres a little you inside of you that needs to eat. . . . all my pregnancies were all different, (emotionally, time of my life, etc). . so i know how u feel. . .
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    Get your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist / dietician. They can help you with ideas, what works, and how to plan.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    So sorry kiddo! Being pregnant is hard enough when your hubby is there for support. Its even harder when he is not. Don’t use that as an excuse though. Pump it up, pick your head up. You are pregnant and you have to think about the baby first! I would ask your doctor to start seeing a therapist to help as well, asap!

Make sure you are taking your prenatal and if you don’t feel like eating a lot make it high calories like avocado’s, burgers, something that will get you to where you need to be calorically speaking. Work on the what later once you get your amount down. Eating healthy is important but we need to get you eating first and if you only feel like a burger at McDonalds or parfait get the freakin burger/parfait!!!
    Your baby will suck the life out of you if you are not consuming enough calories and it will make everything start to fall apart if you are not careful. So much is going to the baby and with you not eating it gets taken from you! Your teeth will suffer, your vision, your bones, all your organs, and it will start to attach your muscle. I ate right the last time however I still ended up with a root canal, couple of cavities, my eyes changed -.5 from where they were at and I lost a TON of muscle. Some where between 8-10 pounds I am thinking. She sucked the crap out of my muscle, but she obviously needed something my diet was lacking. I was working out btw so it wasn’t lost do to being inactive…. I was working out the entire time even while I was in labor (didn’t know it btw)

So we are here for you! What is your height, weight, age? 2k calories is great for a pregnancy BUT if you are taller or shorter you might need less or more. I was eating around 1600-1800 (I am 5’1). In the begging those extra 500 calories they SAY you need really isn’t until further along….. the babies calorically needs are not the same all though your pregnancy. They need not as much in the begging but a lot more at the end. Being as though you are only 17 weeks you are going to start to have to get a lot more calorie wise in a day since you are in your second trimester. For your babies healthy but also yours…. Or she/he will suck everything good out of you, heheh.
  • fierceangel1982
    Options
    Hi,
    So........ if you are upset and overwhelmed, etc., try to drink your calories--- smoothies, shakes, etc. When I was pregnant with #2, and it was HOT out, and I didn't feel like eating, I would make smoothies. I bought powdered milk at Sam's Club and added a scoop of that to my smoothies to get a bit of extra calories in each one.

Other than that, please, please, please talk to your doctor. It really isn't good to not be eating when pregnant. It puts alot of stress on the baby and on your body.

I agree with this. At one point in my life I was too depressed to chew food, and I drank milkshakes, meal replacement shakes, and ate pudding to survive.
  • CuteWittleWifey
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who had positive comments, feedback and advice!
    Today was a much better day for me. :) At 5'3 and a pre-pregnancy weight of 138, I should be getting about 2000 calories a day. Today wasn't perfect, but I was at like 1655 which is really awesome! Maybe if I keep pushing through and eating at least around this much, my metabolism will rev back up a bit.

Again, thanks everybody!