Low carb breakfast ideas

Options
Has anyone got any quick and easy low carb breakfast ideas which aren't egg?! Really struggling!

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast and veggies.
    Protein smoothies.
    Cottage cheese with fresh veggies.
    Greek yogurt with veggies
    Protein Pancakes (may be kind of high in carbs depending on how low you wish to go)

Edited to add:

Smoked salmon lox and cream cheese on cucumber slices.
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    how much are you limiting your carbs?

when i was doing 10 grams, bacon and eggs weren't really a choice. however, 15-25 gives you a bunch of wiggle room :wink::

1/2 cup of greek yogurt (full fat) and almonds. it'll average out to about 6 carbs. i'll drink some green tea too and it holds me over pretty well.

try making a smoothie with almond milk and berries.

or try some cinnamon toast pancakes if you've got time:
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/cinnamon-toast-pancakes

possibilities are endless. just google low carb breakfast and you'll be overwhelmed.
  • crazycakez
    Options
    I eat a lot of leftovers for breakfast. This morning I had leftovers from dinner last night: steak, mushroom, and onion stir fry. Yesterday morning I pulled some chicken off of a store-bought rotisserie chicken and just munched on that. I know some people have trouble with "dinner" foods in the morning, but I like it and it's quick to grab in the morning.

I do eat a lot of eggs, too, though. Hard-boiled, scrambled, quiche, etc. If you don't like plain eggs but do like quiche, I like to make one on Sunday to eat throughout the week for a quick breakfast or lunch. Lots of veggies, bacon, and a little bit of cheese - yum!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Whey protein shake.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    This may or may not be low enough carb for what you're wanting, but I bake these and eat 2 for breakfast every morning along with a protein shake. They're delicious. Hope you find something--I have this same problem because I like to eat a protein-filled breakfast, and when you don't feel like eggs, it can be tough to think of something.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/thistimeismytime/view/pumpkin-walnut-protein-bars-with-chia-and-flax-seed-392822
  • wrinju
    wrinju Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Eggs, sausage and cheese muffins.

Take crumbled (cooked) sausage and place in the bottom of a muffin pan, add your whisked eggs on top and sprinkle with cheese. You don't want to fill them to the top because it will rise.

I baked them at 350 for about 20 minutes or so... just keep watching. These freeze. I would pop two out and micro wave and eat on my way to work.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Eggs, sausage and cheese muffins.

Take crumbled (cooked) sausage and place in the bottom of a muffin pan, add your whisked eggs on top and sprinkle with cheese. You don't want to fill them to the top because it will rise.

I baked them at 350 for about 20 minutes or so... just keep watching. These freeze. I would pop two out and micro wave and eat on my way to work.

These sound great! I can't believe they freeze and re-heat well! That makes a big difference when you're in a hurry in the morning. :drinker:
  • rrsonia5
    Options
    I drink eas carb control shakes on the days I don't have eggs..
  • PinkyNans2012
    Options
    I totally understand, sometimes eggs can get really boring...

You can make a juice with the following

1/2 cup apps. Vanilla Soy Milk (just make sure carb count is low - no sugar added) - sometimes I add a little regular milk as well (you can also try unsweetened coconut milk)
    1/2 plain yogurt
    a couple of spoonfuls of Silken tofu
    Stevia to your taste
    1 tablespoon of no sugar (natural) peanut butter (or almond butter)
    if you want to make it with a chocolate taste you can add in a teaspoon of coco powder
    Blend them together. add in some ice cubes as well if you would like it chilled.

also you could try ricotta cheese with stevia, peanut butter and some vanilla extract as another breakfast idea

Check south beach phase 1 breakfast recipes on google for more ideas (some with eggs some without...)

Happy Eating
  • Caralynl
    Caralynl Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm about to start a low carb diet and I've read where LOW is considered 20-50 carbs/day. What is your opinion? I need to lose about 80 pounds. Thanks!
  • Yrla
    Yrla Posts: 19
    Options
    Don't limit carbs myself, but stole this recipe off someone on another health and fitness forum:

Paleo "Oatmeal"

-2 tablespoons chia seed (~15-20 grams)

-2 tablespoons flax seed (~15-20 grams)

-2 tablespoons hemp seed (~15-20 grams)

-1/2 cup hot water

-1/4 cup milk of choice (optional)

Mix all ingredients together and let sit at least 15 minutes so the seeds can absorb the liquid (or better yet leave over night in the fridge). Eat cold or hot.

Add berries, chopped nuts, and/or cinnamon for flavour.

I'd recommend this for no other reason than that it's so yummy, the nutty aroma and flavour of the seeds are really released from being soaked in hot water. Have never made it exactly as above, but perhaps the quantities I've listed (which are from the original recipe) might need to be adjusted for someone who is on a calorie-limited diet plan. Haven't worked out the cals so have no idea what it comes to - and don't know how many grams of carbs either, obviously it won't be as low as a breakfast of animal protein. It will definitely keep you full for ages though! I do a variation on this myself, where I soak some flax and chia seeds in (hot) water overnight, and then mix with nuts, buckwheat flakes, and cinnamon in the morning, so it basically becomes a kind of muesli, which I have with milk. But that's no longer low carb really.
  • sazloufox
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Shakes sound good coz I can make one up and drink it on the way to work!
  • LLRider
    LLRider Posts: 65
    Options
    I haven't the time to go through this whole thread but did anyone mention I Breath...I'm Hungry ~ A great place to find low carb recipes. Many on MFP maker the cream cheese pancakes. :wink:
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Spinach Scramble
    Ingredients: Spinach, Feta Cheese, Egg Beaters (or egg whites)

Sautee 2 handfuls of spinach.
    Leave spinach in hot skillet.
    Add egg beaters or egg whites over spinach
    Sprinkle feta on top and cook until eggs are done.

About 250 cals and keeps me full all the way to lunch, and loaded with protien.