Atkins Diet

Options
13»

Replies

• cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    You can lose weight on Atkins quite well, but the long term health is not so good.
    I did Atkins twice, with short term success.

Look into Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. I've been doing it for the past 6 weeks and have lost 28 lbs since starting. It's also extremely healthy in the long term. Worth checking out at least.
    I bought that quacks book, mostly out of curiosity. I want my money back. I knew better too.

If you haven't done the first 6 weeks, how can you judge? A doctor who consistently reverses heart disease, diabetes, and other chronic diseases through dietary intervention is nothing to be scoffed at. Please qualify your comments instead of trolling.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight on Atkins quite well, but the long term health is not so good.

Look into Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. I've been doing it for the past 6 weeks and have lost 28 lbs since starting. It's also extremely healthy in the long term. Worth checking out at least.

I don't see how long term health isn't good with Atkins????

Explain how that is the case when my blood and lipid markers were and are still stellar and I eat more fat now than I did on Atkins lifestyle.

My health just gets increasingly better.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

Explain how that is the case when my blood and lipid markers were and are still stellar and I eat more fat now than I did on Atkins lifestyle.

Eating more fat isn't exactly bad. Only thing I'd be concerned with is having excessive amounts of protein (significantly more than required) can adversely affect the kidneys.

So long as you get enough vitamins and minerals in your diet as well as an adequate amount of protein, you should be fine.

Some worries with many low-carb diets is the increased difficulty of getting the proper nutrients, but when done, should be overall fine.
  • cjc166
    Options

Certainly, when compared to the Standard American Diet, Atkins is going to be better, and you should see an improvement in health when comparing the two. Being a healthy weight is certainly a big plus. Not everyone who smokes gets cancer either, and I know a lot of perfectly healthy smokers.

However, there is a high correlation between animal protein consumption and cancer, heart disease, osteoperosis, decreased longevity and many other chronic diseases. Does this mean that it will happen to everyone? Certainly not, but it increases the risk significantly at consumption levels of over 10% of total calories. This is outlined in tons of medical literature, and is the general consensus of most research.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    However, there is a high correlation between animal protein consumption and cancer, heart disease, osteoperosis, decreased longevity and many other chronic diseases

Sources please...
  • cjc166
    Options
    However, there is a high correlation between animal protein consumption and cancer, heart disease, osteoperosis, decreased longevity and many other chronic diseases

Sources please...

The China Study by Dr. Campbell is the most obvious source.
    Also, if you read Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman, everything is sourced. It's a very long list.
  • taylor5877
    Options
    Reeks of biased scare tactic...
  • cjc166
    Options
    You ask me for sources and then dismiss without reading or considering? It appears you weren't really interested in sources.
  • afcgirl
    afcgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Atkins/low carbing for at least five years.

I am and have been in the best shape of my life, even after having two kids. I weigh the same that I did in high school and I am now in my 40s. I am 5'8" and weigh 125-128 pounds. Even the shape of my body improved (from the increase in protein). I also jog and do weight training 5 days a week.

I have a family history of heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol and I have none of that. My blood tests have been perfect. Many of my doctor friends eat low carb.

I use myfitnesspal as a tool so that I can maintain my health and fitness goals. It is not a sign that Atkins doesn't work.

I eat much more healthy now than when I did weightwatchers. On WW I ate fat free hotdogs, potatoes, low fat popcorn, WW meals (i.e., junk). Now I eat chicken, eggs, salads, steak, veggies, berries. Less processed foods. I am not knocking WW, I am sure others eat much more healthy on WW than I did.

I have greatly reduced my binge eating and feel better mentally.

I write this because Atkins improved my life and want to let others know it could improve theirs. I am fine if others do not agree. I don't understand the hostility towards the Atkins lifestyle but to each his own. For those that prefer low fat eating or WW, I am happy for you that you found something that works for you. Just keep an eye on the more current studies about avoiding diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
  • cjc166
    Options
    I write this because Atkins improved my life and want to let others know it could improve theirs. I am fine if others do not agree. I don't understand the hostility towards the Atkins lifestyle but to each his own. For those that prefer low fat eating or WW, I am happy for you that you found something that works for you. Just keep an eye on the more current studies about avoiding diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

I'm certain Atkins can improve someone's quality of life and is healthier than WW or low-fat diets.
    However, I have not seen any cases where Atkins has reversed heart disease, and doubly so in patients who have had bypasses and stints put in. There are diets out there that do cause complete reversal of heart disease at that stage, Atkins is NOT one of them.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost weight but I think my cholesterol went up. That diet has ALOT of meat and and unless you only eat fish I think it might be bad for your heart.

It's not; common misconception.

I don't eat any more meat than I used too ... I just don't have the junk food and I swap out the starchy sides for more veggies ... you don't have to have a ton of meat on the diet really ...

Did it work for you??? If you like it - could do it - then try it

But you stopped before so maybe you didn't really enjoy it very much?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    But you stopped before so maybe you didn't really enjoy it very much?

This, for every plan.
  • xoxobollywood1991
    Options
    Umm...well I use the atkins endulge bars as treats...:) but not as a diet. like meal-replacements. I eat natural foods all the time, and atkins bars every now and then. but be aware! they are full of chemicals!!!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Umm...well I use the atkins endulge bars as treats...:) but not as a diet. like meal-replacements. I eat natural foods all the time, and atkins bars every now and then. but be aware! they are full of chemicals!!!

Frankenfoooooooooooooood....OoOoOoOo.... *shuffles off into the distance*
  • taylor5877
    Options
    You ask me for sources and then dismiss without reading or considering? It appears you weren't really interested in sources.

My problem is lumping all animal protein together. I've not (and looking for a plethera here) seen sources that say fish (particular those high in omega 3's) or dairy significantly increase cancer risks and cardiovascular disease.

Red meat singled out I wouldn't have a problem with the original quoted statement.
  • Yukon_Jack
    Yukon_Jack Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I didn't think this would be such a long thread when I posted it! I see opinions from both ends of the spectrum as well as in the middle.
    I think for me personally I will just cut out most processed food and white flour (I eat very little sugar anyways).
    I know that the Atkins will help you lose weight but , again, for me personally I find it too restrictive. I do jog about 2 miles every other day and along with this website and the community, I know I will reach my goal by the end of December. Thanks again!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I didn't think this would be such a long thread when I posted it! I see opinions from both ends of the spectrum as well as in the middle.
    I think for me personally I will just cut out most processed food and white flour (I eat very little sugar anyways).
    I know that the Atkins will help you lose weight but , again, for me personally I find it too restrictive. I do jog about 2 miles every other day and along with this website and the community, I know I will reach my goal by the end of December. Thanks again!

Best of luck! Fight the good fight :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Better idea -- http://www.marksdailyapple.com

Some concept only much better.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost weight but I think my cholesterol went up. That diet has ALOT of meat and and unless you only eat fish I think it might be bad for your heart.

You "think" your cholesterol went up but didn't check? Just to add my 2 cents, I have been on Primal (again better then Atkins IMHO) for 9 months. My lipids are half what there were in Nov. 2011 (except HDL which has gone up 6 points but that was likely the exercise doing that), I am off 3 of 4 blood pressure medicines and my blood sugar is in the normal range where I was pre-diabetic before.

FYI -- I am lucky to eat fish once a month and if I do that I fry that crap in oil first. :-) Give me bacon any day.