My appointment with the Nutritionist

Options
UPDATE: Just to avoid confusion my appointment was with a dietitian registered at the hospital in the big city nearest us.

So I had my first appointment with my nutritionist yesterday. I thought I would share what she said since the questions I had tend to come up here also a lot.

DISCLOSURE: Keep in my this is advice she gave to me for my current situation. This advice may not pertain to everyone's situation. Also, she is just one woman. These are her opinions based on what she learned in school and what the medical board suggests. Not everyone may agree.

Q: Is starvation mode real and at what point does it kick in?
A: Yes, it will kick in at around 1200 calories. Meaning if you don't eat that many each day you body could go into starvation mode.

Q: Does this apply the same way if I don't NET 1200 calories.
A: Net calories mean nothing. If you eat your recommend calorie intake for the day then exercise off a good portion, your body still got those calories. Your body still got the nutrients. Don't pay attention to net calories.

Q: Do you recommend eating exercise calories?
A: No. We recommend you aim to eat the same amount each day. So if you start eating your exercise calories your body might adjust to the higher calorie intakes. Plus you might not see as many pounds lost.

Q: What if I'm really hungry after a hard workout?
A: It's okay in moderation but try to avoid eating exercise calories as it promotes overeating.

Q: Do you promote calorie cycling?
A: No.

Q: Well, I've noticed that when I do calorie cycling I lose more that week.
A: Hmm.....well if it works for you then maybe your lucky.

Q: Why am I more hungry some days than others?
A: Means your body is working hard on something else. Recovering from a workout or maybe fighting off illness. Can be hormonal also.

Q: What is your opinion on juicing?
A: Is has a lot of nutrients in it but it can also have a lot of calories. If you juice make sure to track it also.

Q: What is the recommended weight loss rate?
A: 1-2lbs a week max. Anymore than that you will be losing muscle also and that can slow your metabolism down.

Q: How much exercise is enough?
A: To lose weight without a calorie deficit then you must workout 1 hour 6 days a week. So you must find a balance between a calorie deficit and exercise.

Q: I'm kinda all over the place with exercise. Haven't found anything I love so I mix it up. Is this ok?
A: Since you are already doing cardio three times a week and strength training three times a week this is a good amount. So many people don't do strength training. But the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism will run.

I asked other questions also but these were the big ones. Hopes this helps some people.

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Did you see a "nutritionist" or a registered dietitian?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You really should check people's qualifications before parting with money.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

There's absolutely, positively, no way a dietician wrote those replies.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    what a joke lol i would demand my money back
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options

Yeah that's what I thought too lol but I just wanted to clarify.
  • Brooke1076
    Brooke1076 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A: Net calories mean nothing. If you eat your recommend calorie intake for the day then exercise off a good portion, your body still got those calories. Your body still got the nutrients. Don't pay attention to net calories.

A: No. We recommend you aim to eat the same amount each day. So if you start eating your exercise calories your body might adjust to the higher calorie intakes. Plus you might not see as many pounds lost.

As a newbie, I am now extra confused, wahh :'( - I just barely figured out what net calories are and how they work! (I know, I'm slow, ha ha). So now I am thinking maybe I shouldn't be eating them back? Maybe I need to experiment more..hmmm
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    still,,,everyone opinion is interesting ...even if we dont agree with them :) thank you for sharing what she had to say!
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Even experts (like say the FDA, USDA) tell people information that THEY think the individual needs to hear to better themselves.

Nobody really wants the truth, because no one wants to admit how truly incompetent our available knowledge base is on mosts subjects.
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

As a newbie, I am now extra confused, wahh :'( - I just barely figured out what net calories are and how they work! (I know, I'm slow, ha ha). So now I am thinking maybe I shouldn't be eating them back? Maybe I need to experiment more..hmmm

So am I, here I am trying to eat extra calories to net at least my BMR which is over 1200, and eating exercise calories back. I am totally lost, and about to give up :( Maybe I should not eat my exercise calories back either. I have been at a plateau for 4 months now.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Sorry, but she's a moron.

Starvation mode is different for everyone. It can happen for some at 1800 calories. It all depends on your individual metabolism.
  • jenichenny
    jenichenny Posts: 73 Member
    Options

My insurance covered it because it was with a registered dietitian at the hospital. So she's legit.

Curious as to what made you say she wasn't. Not trying to start trouble just a friendly conversation : )
  • xoMeaghan
    xoMeaghan Posts: 175
    Options
    still,,,everyone opinion is interesting ...even if we dont agree with them :) thank you for sharing what she had to say!

Yup! Very true, you gotta find what works for YOU and everyone hits a plateu, also, then you switch it up!! =) But, that's my opinion.
    Thanks for sharing! I probably won't follow this, and probably not most of the people on here. Good to know different views.
  • taylor5877
    Options

I would almost guarantee that she didn't answer question knowing you track your calories with a 500 or 1000 calorie deficit planned in.

I would answer no if someone outside of MFP was interested in weight loss and asked if they needed to eat back calories burned during excercise.
  • jenichenny
    jenichenny Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I would almost guarantee that she didn't answer question knowing you track your calories with a 500 or 1000 calorie deficit planned in.

I would answer no if someone outside of MFP was interested in weight loss and asked if they needed to eat back calories burned during excercise.

Actually she did know. I showed her my MFP plan and told her what I eat each day and what my deficit was.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    hummm interesting about the eating exercise calories back and the 1200 cal thing..... i just don't know what to think.... i know some that eat 1200 cals and will burn 1000 cals a day, how can that be healthy?
  • lifescircle
    Options

So am I, here I am trying to eat extra calories to net at least my BMR which is over 1200, and eating exercise calories back. I am totally lost, and about to give up :( Maybe I should not eat my exercise calories back either. I have been at a plateau for 4 months now.

Listen to what others say but...

pay attention to your own body!!

You have GOT to pay attention to your body and to how you feel. You cannot blindly just follow others because no one else lives your life but you.

Take these things as guidelines, try them if you wish, but do not give up on yourself because what worked for someone else isn't working for you. You've got to give YOU more attention that you give these boards or any doctor or trainer or dietician.

>>>And there was a big disclaimer where at the start of the OPs post.>>>

NOTE: I must say, there seemed to be some condtradictory stuff in there.... "don't pay attention to net calories... then a balance between calories and exercise" hmmm...
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think it all sounds very reasonable to me. Maybe the people saying she is a moron are actually morons themselves.
  • taylor5877
    Options

Actually she did know. I showed her my MFP plan and told her what I eat each day and what my deficit was.

I guess I could understand what she was saying about keeping calories constant more or less day to day, but excercise calories definitely move what you can/should eat IMO.

I'm just going to say "interesting" here and leave it at that.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options

My insurance covered it because it was with a registered dietitian at the hospital. So she's legit.

Curious as to what made you say she wasn't. Not trying to start trouble just a friendly conversation : )

I'm in school to be a dietitian and I've observed a number of different dietitians counseling clients. I've just never heard RDs give advice like that, and I probably would have answered all those questions very differently.