Does anyone else get made fun of?

Options
I bring my lunch to work daily. I find it easier to make healthy choices when I'm making it myself, rather than running out to fast food on my lunch hour. I bring salads, wraps, leftovers from dinner the night before.

I get A LOT of comments from coworkers for it. Such as "Salad again?!", "You know you can eat pizza once in a while, it wont kill you", and my personal favorite "Ugh, you eat so healthy. Try a cheeseburger sometime".

I'm not thin. I'm a size 16 down from an 18/20. I know what pizza and cheeseburgers are. Thats how I got into this mess. I try to tell myself theyre just trying to make themselves feel better about their fast food lunch choices. But its really annoying.

Does anyone else have this happening to them?

Replies

• Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    They are jealous that you have the power to do it and they dont.

I actually worked in an environment like that about a year ago when I did MFP for the first time...honestly? peer pressure broke me and I went back to bad habits. This time around I'm actually in a different job and there are actually like 5 other people that use MFP here so I have a ton of support and it is much easier this time around.

I hope you do better then me and dont give in to the peer pressure from co-workers, day after day it can wear thin. (I am in a job that involves constantly going to lunch with co-workers so I was affected by this every day) Hopefully your situation does not require you to be around them as often. :)
  • sierrajade2012
    Options
    I bring my lunch to work daily. I find it easier to make healthy choices when I'm making it myself, rather than running out to fast food on my lunch hour. I bring salads, wraps, leftovers from dinner the night before.

I get A LOT of comments from coworkers for it. Such as "Salad again?!", "You know you can eat pizza once in a while, it wont kill you", and my personal favorite "Ugh, you eat so healthy. Try a cheeseburger sometime".

I'm not thin. I'm a size 16 down from an 18/20. I know what pizza and cheeseburgers are. Thats how I got into this mess. I try to tell myself theyre just trying to make themselves feel better about their fast food lunch choices. But its really annoying.

Does anyone else have this happening to them?

I'm lucky where I work-I only work with one other lady and she is a health nut -next time someone makes a comment tell them you would rather make healthy choices!
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I used to hear a lot of comments when I worked with people. Ignore them. I would just tell people I eat foods I like to eat. What is the big deal? I have never told someone....omg how can you eat so much fat or it won't kill you to eat a vegetable. lol. Turn the tables on them and ask why they don't eat fruit or something. That will shut them up. I don't care what other people eat for lunch. I care about what I'm eating and if I enjoy it. It costs to much to eat out everyday anyway. I would rather eat my own food and save money.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Get used to it, it will never stop.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    95420085824390935g5U9qsRPc.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not at all. In fact, when we have parties (and NOT at my request!), whoever organizes makes sure there's something there for me. I mean, part of that is I'm vegetarian, but also they make sure it's something healthy.

And, really, almost everyone I work with -- men and women -- are working on their own weight, at all different stages. A group of us used to get together and do yoga at lunch twice a week, too. We had to stop when we switched buildings. :-(

I work with some great people, I guess.
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yup. I work in an office of just women, the majority of whom are quite overweight (myself included). They are very unsupportive, its pretty sad. I take my lunch every day too. I'm in control of my calories this way, and it saves money. I just ignore them...if theyre very persistant I'll make a comment back like "Salads are great, you should try one sometime." Mean, yes, but they generally shut up after that.
  • jayne12469
    jayne12469 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I watched this happen to a coworker when she decided to change her lifestyle and eat healthier foods and be more fit. The snide remarks others made were just unbelieveable, and I felt that a good portion of them were based on sheer jealousy.

For this reason, I've chosen not to advertise that I'm trying to change my lifestyle. Only a few close friends (and my poor coworker that went through this) know what I'm trying to accomplish.

I plan ahead for office celebrations. I scope out what's there, take small portions of the things I'll truly enjoy, and then sneak in some healthier food at my desk, if necessary.

As for daily lunches, I frequently eat at my desk (even though it's frowned upon) or I'm "so busy with a project" that I don't go to the lunchroom until everyone else is on their way back to their desks.

I realize how ludicrous it is to be "sneaking around" with my lunches, but life is too short to put up with daily negativity from coworkers. It's just easier for me to avoid it.
  • Cyndist1
    Cyndist1 Posts: 21
    Options
    I would always get teased. I wrote down everything I ate, the calorie count and would not eat the crap the drug reps would bring in to work. Amazing how unhealthy all my former coworkers are. They would sit there eating all that junk and complain about not being able to lose weight. hmm I wonder why. =)
    Cindy
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Most people get hung up about food, and my guess is, they look at what you are doing and know that they should be more conscientious about what they eat, so they try to prevent themselves from feeling guilty by making fun of you. When you realize that they are jealous (and in a way, this may be their way of saying 'way to go!') maybe you can view their comments as compliments and not allow them to annoy you.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Sheesh. They see you eat one meal on work days. There are at least 16 other meals a week you eat. Maybe you enjoy pizza on the weekends or a cheeseburger is actually great protein. People are lame. I like the one comment about telling them they might enjoy a salad.
  • TheCrimsonCountess
    Options
    Thanks all. I try as much as I can to ignore it.
  • ValentineMomma
    ValentineMomma Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No that doesn't happen to me. Where I work, it seems like everyone is eating healthy.its the people with fast food that seem embarrassed on their own...because most of us are munching on healthy stuff.

I agree that the people at your work are just trying to make themselves feel better about their unhealthy choices. The best thing is that you don't need to explain yourself to them.if anything I'd turn it around and invite them to bring their healthy lunch, and eat together. "oh, its not hard, bring your lunch, and join me...we can help each other!"

Good luck. We all know you're right. Keep on doing what you're doing. I always tell my Hubby that in or society its easier to over indulge and be unhealthy.we have everything!
  • ValentineMomma
    Options
    I love it that you stood up for yourself. Damn bullies.
  • ValentineMomma
    Options
    I agree with not advertising things. The only people whoknow that I'm trying to get healthy are my supporters. People who will lift me up, not pull me down.sounds cheesy, but we have to set ourselves up for success!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Happens here too. From family mostly. ANNOYING.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't hang out with *kitten*. Everyone has been very supportive of my healthier meals and compliment me constantly on my willpower and progress. *shrug*
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    Not anymore…I have a way of getting people in person to make wiser choices when they speak to me. The trick is…I talk back in a clever way that will make you look stupid! :bigsmile:

People hate and can’t control their own voice of ignorance. Give them a big I am smarter than you smile and brush your shoulders
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    they're just jealous with a capital J! :) i'm lucky i work in the middle of no where with nothing close by so the majority of people i work bring their lunches (or eat out of the vending machine which when they do i make fun of them!) really a burrito from a vending machine - that is NOT appetizing!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Tell them b!tches get stitches :laugh:

Seriously, if you have asked them to lay off, you could always give them a dose of their own medicine. Ugh, fast food again? Do you know what that does to your fatty, bloated, salt riddled body? :frown: