My 10yo Daughter is Obese

Options

Replies

• tlroesch72
    Options
    Last December I took my 9 yr old son to doctor for a check-up. He was 4'10" and 127 lbs, we also found out that he has high cholestrol. Our doctor said he wanted my son to maintain his weight for the next 5 years, not to worry about losing. We attended a nutrition class and got more active. He ended up losing about 6-7 lbs in 7 months. He is also starting to get taller lately. We were not expecting weight loss but were happy with it. It's just about living healthier now and that is what we concentrate on for him. Good luck!
  • marthathebear
    Options
    I would let her pediatrician tell you how to proceed but please get this taken care of at this young age. The longer she has bad eating habits the harder it will be to correct and she can live a better life as a healthy child.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Why are you plugging her numbers into an online calculator? You can look at her and SEE that she's not obese. She's not even overweight. She looks like a healthy kid.

Even if she were obese, which she's not, calorie counting is a bad idea for kids.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Please do not introduce calorie counting to your daughter, it will cause a lifetime of anxiety over eating that no one deserves.

Sign her up to dance classes or netball classes, something active which she will have fun at? and make healthy eating fun. x
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for being so proactive about your daughter's health.

Instead of tracking calories teach her about carbs, fat and protein and the roles they play in our overall health. Take her grocery shopping with you. Have her learn how to read labels and recognize portion sizes. I know this isn't the answer but all the little things we teach them contribute to their ability to make healthy, well informed choices on their own. I wish you and your daughter the absolute best!
  • susanhardt
    susanhardt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a 4'10" 11 year old boy. He weighed in at 71 pounds yesterday at his 11 year old check up. He was 17th percentile for weight. He is a preemie has has always been underweight. Our pediatrican told us to leave him alone and let him eat what he wants. Believe it or not, the pediatrican is worried about eating disorders if we "force" him to eat more. That being said, the pediatrican told us that as parents, we should model good behavior in both eating and exercising.

Keep healthy food in your house, ditch the bad stuff: chips, cookies, soda, model good behavior, go out walking and biking with your daughter, maybe do some healthy cooking with your daughter. Why don't you sign up for a charity 5k walk/run? Do it as a family!!!

Of course, talk to your pediatrician. I wouldn't try to force her to do anything...that starts eating disorders. Good luck.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've recommended Ellyn Satter's books multiple times on this forum - I strongly recommend it! It should be required reading for parents:) It taught me a lot.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I highly recommend checking out "Disease Proof Your Child" by Dr. Fuhrman and get the whole family on board with a new way of living. Below is a website with some info.

http://www.drfuhrman.com/children/default.aspx
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,811 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about calorie counting at 10 years old, I would simply get rid of the cookies, cakes, chips and sodas and replace with a variety of fruits, veggies, eat more chicken and veggies and other healthy stuff for meals, just make the whole family healthier, then she wont think your pin pointing her
  • wharkins
    wharkins Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time I was an obese child. Many people recommend talking to your doctor. Having been put on a restrictive low calorie diet and placed on diet pills by a doctor and having that prescribed treatment cause my heart to race all day long and create an anxiety disorder I would strongly recommend you consult your own common sense instead. Don't listen to any medical professional that tells you to put your daughter on a diet or on medication. I started out slightly overweight and easily would have grown into that weight if I had been left alone. At the age of 12 I grew 6 inches and at 13 an additional 6 inches. However, I was constantly being put on diets starting at the age of nine and with every round of failed dieting I gained more and more weight. At 14 I was 100 pounds overweight! So I have very strong feelings on this subject and a strong belief that if my interest in swimming, bicycling, dancing and horseback riding had been developed and encouraged instead of creating an obsession with what I ate my whole life story would be different. I would recommend that your family as a whole practice healthy whole food eating and that your daughter take part in that as a member of your family. NOT because she is overweight but because your family just eats that way. Don't single her out! But more important than that even is support and encourage her love of movement and exercise - any form that she is interested in and can learn to love. That love will transcend the weight problem.
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    The best thing I can say is please, delete her account...she's 10 and doesn't need to be counting calories. The best thing you can do for her is lead by example. Cook dinners for her, she should be eating the same thing you eat, if your counting your calories and watching everything you eat, she should be fine. Make sure she gets outside and plays around, go outside and play with her. ride bikes, play soccer etc...Educate her about foods and what they do to the body, don't lecture her on it. PLEASE most of all don't call her fat. (she'll end up worse off). Make sure the options in the house are good options to be eating.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Just focus on health (fruit instead of cookies, 1 sandwich instead of 2...the small burger that is meant for children rather than the grown-up meal, etc) and revisit it when she's a little older if the need is still there :) I have always wondered if obese people have obese children because of nature or nurture? I think if you and your wife are being more healthy (walking, etc) then include her in that life and all will work out. Kudos to you for being proactive!!!!!!
  • mfittracker
    Options
    You should talk to her pediatrician. Counting calories is not generally suggested for kids that age unless there is a drastic problem. The numbers provided here are for adults, not children that are still growing. For my 4 and 6 year old, I was told because they are growing that they should be around 2000-2200 calories. Sparkteen may be a better place if you really do want to count her calories though. At least they take into account a child's needs.
  • ljd110
    ljd110 Posts: 1
    Options
    In my opinion, I think calorie counting might not be the best idea for kids. BUT, I did work in a nutrition program with kids and some of the best messages were the easiest to remember:

Real food comes from the earth, not from factories.

Also, instead of calorie counting, we rated food by a stop light. Green was for healthy foods to eat at every meal, ie. veggies. Yellow was for sometimes foods. ie. peanut butter sandwich. Red, most importantly WAS NOT off limits, but it was for red for moderation/special occasions. ie. a piece birthday cake is okay to have at a friend's birthday, but not every day. Using green/yellow/red foods in addition to the myplate website someone else suggested is a really nice way for kids to have an input on choosing healthy meals while minding the fact what you do/tell them/show them about food while shape the way they relate to food for the rest of their lives.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    DON'T set her up a profile. Doing so could drastically increase her risk of developing an eating disorder / disordered eating. I think at that age, it's just as much the diet as it is the activity level. She may show horses, but if the horse is doing all the work, how much of a work out is it really? Increase the walks and increase the time she spends outside playing with friends or riding her bike. Examples, but encourage more activity.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Please address this carefully with your child. You are walking on thin ice here honestly. I was that exact same height and around that weight at that age. Instead of my parents making healthier decisions together my mom would just call me a "chunky monkey" (which was meant to be sweet) and other things like that which hurt my self esteem. Between that and seeing her unhealthy addiction to food and the scale I at first dieted from age 12-13 and didn't lose much weight (10 pounds) but had grown into my weight to 5 foot 5 inches. But now that wasn't good enough. I developed an eating disorder limiting myself to 1200 calories a day at age 15 and went down to 100 pounds at 5 foot 6 inches.( I became obsessed with counting calories, a child should never count calories honestly) I got amenorrhea (periods stopped) for over a year and it took a lot to recover from that. Mind you know this was a 1200 calorie diet.

TBH your daughter is not THAT overweight, not to say she isn't, but she will likely grow into her weight. You want to be mindful of her health both physically AND mentally/emotionally so please, please tread on thin ice here.

I would suggest developing a healthy eating plan for the whole family if it isn't in place. Cut sodas out, add more fresh fruits and vegetables, make sure that child gets enough water.

I wish you the best of luck and her too.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    OP - I am glad to see that you are concerned about your daughter. My daughter is also 10 and about the same height and weight. We recently saw the pediatrician and talked about this very thing. So we decided that we would work together to have healthy habits. She really gets into this and helps push me to get walks done and to make sure our portions are healthy sized and not oversized.

See the Dr and make sure there is no medical issue and then just make it about the whole family being healthy. As I have told my daughter, it is about good health and feeling good about ourselves. She accepts that and wants to work to that without damaging her self image.

Good luck
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many of you have girls in the 10 to 11 age range - but kids talk about calories, carbs, and the fat content of food. I can tell you that because *I* don't talk about it at home yet my 11 year old is acutely aware of these issues. I can only imagine other girls hear about it from their moms and talk about it at school. All my daughter knows is that fat and carbs are bad. However, she doesn't know what foods have fat and which don't; which foods have carbs and which don't. One day, she was complaining about too much fat and chose mac'n'cheese for lunch! She had no clue. So since kids are so attuned to these issues at such an early stage, I don't think it hurts to share a tool like this with them so they can actually see what they are eating and whether it does have high fat or high carbs.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When I was 10 I was fat. That's because mum would take me to McDonalds, buy me a large meal, sometimes getting extra fries, and then tell me I was fat. I went to see a dietician and lost half a stone (my mum told me as she used to weigh me all the time). I remember taking a packed lunch to school with grapes and such inside.

If it were me in your situation and I thought my kid was getting a little... porky... I would just get them in to family acitivites and eating healthy at home. Do you and your wife eat healthy? If so, then where could she be eating unhealthily? Or is it just large portions?

I read somewhere on a packet that kids around 8 need about 1700 calories, but I'm sure that, like us, it depends on her activity level. At her age I didn't even do much in my P.E. classes.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Your child hardly looks obese. The best thing you can do for your child outside of talking to her doctor is to walk the walk. You're here getting your habits together? That is the biggest thing. Showing your kids how to eat healthy foods that are delicious while being active.

This whole thread feels inappropriate. But, perhaps I'm projecting my childhood experiences onto you. Either way...

Why is a father worried about his daughter's health and weight inappropriate? I've seen countless mothers post similar threads and everyone on here just rushes to help them and offer advice. Yet this father does the same and people want to criticize or get on his case? :grumble:

I don't think he once said his daughter was fat. He said that her BMI put her in an unhealthy category and he wanted her to learn better choices. What is the problem with that?????

I agree with this too. I think it's great for a Dad to show concern for his daughter's health.
This discussion has been closed.