vending machine at gym?!?!

Options
13»

Replies

• volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Because some people manage to work out and still eat regular foods in moderation. I know, it's pretty crazy.
    Ermahgerd, what is this you speak of? Only protein powder and raspberry ketones for this girl.

No, no, no. You don't need protein powder. Get yourself some of that incredible HCG stuff. I heard it tastes just like babies. :wink:

Lol
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    At my gym there is a guy selling beers in the parking lot.

Sounds like a classy area :)
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    At a big corporate gym I used to belong to; once a month there was pizza, chips,wings, and soda night for the members!

Their marketing & sales guy deserves a promotion!

My gym's right across the road from McD's, Burger King and KFC. The gym itself sells protein shakes, dodgy "muscle-building" supplements, Powerade and "the most attractive fat stripper you've ever seen". I don't know what this is, but I kinda want to ask.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Gyms are for profit businesses, I'm inclined to think that a vending machine with sports drinks etc may actually be more profitable at a gym (sounds like the gym owner doesn't really understand his or her clientele).
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My gym right as you walk in has two cases filled with water, energy drinks, protein drinks and I think even soda.

Then around the counter there is things like protein bars and chips... and then the cafe sells protein shakes.

My gym is also by a Subway, a Portillos(which people seem to love for some odd reason.. but to me it's overpriced) and Fox and Hound Restaurant.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Because some people manage to work out and still eat regular foods in moderation. I know, it's pretty crazy.
    Blasphemer.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    it has nothing to do with the gym. Who ever owns that space has an agreement with the vending company to let them have a machine there. its just about making money nothing more
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    My gym is in the same lot as a Wendy's. It doesn't bother me. The Wendy's has been there for five times as long as the gym anyway, back when the area was a movie theater. I do sometimes stop at a nearby Dunkin Donuts for a coffee, skim milk no sugar and I'm happy. Just because things are near by doesn't mean I need to frequent them. I work near a pet store and I haven't come home with a kitten.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My gym is in the same lot as a Wendy's. It doesn't bother me. The Wendy's has been there for five times as long as the gym anyway, back when the area was a movie theater. I do sometimes stop at a nearby Dunkin Donuts for a coffee, skim milk no sugar and I'm happy. Just because things are near by doesn't mean I need to frequent them. I work near a pet store and I haven't come home with a kitten.

But kittens are so cute! Go on, be a devil. You know you want one. ;)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Within a half mile of my gym (and mostly in the same plaza) are a Logan's Roadhouse, Olive Garden, a pizza place and an Indian restaurant.

There's also a co-op market with plenty of naughty baked goods and a CVS and Walgreens, which of course both have candy and stuff. And a movie theater -- you know what THEY have!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    My gym will have a new member party, or every year they have an anniversary party.. ya they bring in pizza, subs (not healthy ones like pizza hut or local pizza place subs), bread sticks, soda, chips.. the whole buffet style.. They set it up right next to the cardio equipment, its really bad.. I try to stay on the machines or out of the way until its mostly gone and then try to leave too fast to grab anything..
  • Wildheart_Baby
    Wildheart_Baby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    while I don't buy into the fact that any vending machine food is unhealthy anyway -- the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess, after all -- do you not believe one can be healthy and fit an enjoy sweet or savory treats now and again?

Yes you can be healthy and yes you can have treats but there are no healthier options, almost everything in the machine is either chocolate or crisps and not lower calorie versions either, the point I was making was that there were no options for those who are making the choice to eat a calorie controlled diet and would like something that isn't loaded with sugar and fat.

Since the options presented would wipe out any gains you might have made pounding the cardio equipment or the weights.

Would you not consider an apple or banana to be a healthy food, over say a protein bar.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    At my gym there is a guy selling beers in the parking lot.

I want to go to your gym!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    while I don't buy into the fact that any vending machine food is unhealthy anyway -- the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess, after all -- do you not believe one can be healthy and fit an enjoy sweet or savory treats now and again?

Yes you can be healthy and yes you can have treats but there are no healthier options, almost everything in the machine is either chocolate or crisps and not lower calorie versions either, the point I was making was that there were no options for those who are making the choice to eat a calorie controlled diet and would like something that isn't loaded with sugar and fat.

Since the options presented would wipe out any gains you might have made pounding the cardio equipment or the weights.

Would you not consider an apple or banana to be a healthy food, over say a protein bar.

depends on what I want, what my calorie limit is for the day, what macros I'm working to fill, etc.

(and I don't see eating something high cal is wiping out any gains from the gym. bad way to view it. instead, how about look at the fact that spending that time at the gym enables you to continue to enjoy a treat like that. not to mention that whole getting your body fit thing.)
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Happens a lot at many gyms. Same reason a ton of them in my area have full service juice bars and other nonsense in them as well.

Gyms are much less about working out and getting in shape as they are about socialization centers these days. Just yet another reason that I work out at home now, I got tired of all the people at the gym milling around not actually doing much but socializing and drinking their 200g of sugar in the form of some fruit "recovery" smoothie LOL.