how many pounds a week is your goal?

Options
what do you have your goal per week set at?

i keep changing mine bc i want to lose the weight and 8-10lbs a month is so dreamy however eating 12-1400 cals a day is hard esp if im stressed. if i put it to 1lb a week maybe itll be easier to maintain in the end and less of a shock for my MIND. :devil:

what do you do? why?

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It'll only let me go up to 2 but it doesn't matter as I have changed all my goals to what my Doctor put me on.

If you can't stay on 1200 maybe you are eating the wrong foods? Make sure you are getting enough protein and fats or you will not fill full. If you eat enough of those then you feel the need to eat the junk that has empty calories.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    2 but secretly I wish for 20 LOL
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You really need to set this based on how many pounds you have to lose total. If you only have 15 to lose, you should aim for 1/2lb per week. However if your goal is a lot, like 75 or 100, then you can better aim for 2lbs per week.

Here is a good guide that I have seen posted on here
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 2. But I would be happy with any loss at all. Even .02 would make me happy. As long as those numbers keep going down. It took me 20 years to get this big, I don't expect to lose it overnight.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Mine is 2 pounds a week!
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You really need to set this based on how many pounds you have to lose total. If you only have 15 to lose, you should aim for 1/2lb per week. However if your goal is a lot, like 75 or 100, then you can better aim for 2lbs per week.

Here is a good guide that I have seen posted on here
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

cool thanks! never seen this before
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    .5lb a week, I've never lost more than 1lb a week. There's no rush for me, I have the rest of my life to be thin.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    right now, any change would be good? I lost a lot at once like 3 weeks ago(and by a lot I mean 3 pounds)... and now haven't lost anything for three weeks.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I set mine at 1 lb per week and that is about what things have averaged out to be...
  • all4my3boyz
    all4my3boyz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do 1lb because I don't like my bottom line numbers to be in the red at the end of the day :ohwell:
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I originally had mine set to 2, but found myself hungry at night. so i now have it at 1lb. a week. Seems to be working so far....
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    2 lbs a week but I am happy if it is only 1lb.
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I originally had mine set to 2, but found myself hungry at night. so i now have it at 1lb. a week. Seems to be working so far....

yea im at 2 and some days im STARVING still and i sometimes will binge bc i get so mad. but somewhere in my dumb head 1lb a week seems like nothing then im like WAIT im barely losing anything now.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I've had mine set to .5 lb loss a week since February and I've lost 30lbs. My weekly losses have ranged anywhere from .1 up to 3lbs (twice I've gained, once 3 lbs which was gone within 10 days of being back on the wagon, this morning I was up .1lb because I had beer, a blt and tater tots for dinner last night, I'm sure it'll be long gone by next weeks weigh in Wednesday!)

I decided that I wasn't losing in a way that would teach me long term maintenance habits by setting it to 1200 cals a week and feeling so deprived was making me miserable and resulting in short term losses followed by miserable binges and gains. I'm thrilled with the speed of my results this time around and I know I can maintain because I'm perfectly satisfied with the calories I'm able to eat now :)
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm actually losing 1 lb. per week and after the weeks keep passing my....I've hit 16 lbs. so far. Heck this is the first time in 5 years that that scale has been going down and not up! I know that my Dr. will be so pleased with me because she wasn't 3 mos. ago when I was there! She gave me a cholesterol pill to take and I've been avoiding that pill for 2 years now. I absolutely love MFP and the help that it has provided to me has been invaluable.
  • Starqueg
    Starqueg Posts: 39
    Options
    Mine is set to one, but I changed the calorie goal to better suit my body. 1200 calories a day just isn't enough for me. I was starving all the time and not losing anything.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    If you switch to a whole foods plant-based diet, you can hit 1200 calories and feel very full. I eat around1400/day,exercise a lot, and I feel fantastic, not to mention losing 3 lbs/ week. Before I made the switch, I would have been starving at that level.
  • Diyah13
    Diyah13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for one pound per week. Thankfully, out of the 65 days that I've been on MFP, I've only gone over my calorie goal twice. Otherwise, I'm usually well under the daiy allotment.