Show me the way... weights!

Options
Brand new to weights.... joined a gym with allll sorts of fun machines...

What is the best way? Do I do 3 sets of 12 then move to a new machine? Do I only work legs one day and arms another? Do I do 1 set of 12 and then move to another machine and do a set of 12 and do that for 4-5 machines and then repeat?? Ideally, I think I see myself doing the elliptical for 30 min and then lifting for 30min.... thoughts??? Suggestions?? What way will give me the best benefit in lifting?

I joined the gym because it ended up being cheaper to simply join than pay for my spinning and yoga classes separately. Can/Do I do lifting before or after my spin class?? Plus I will make it to the gym one or two other nights to do just the elliptical and weights.... so I am NOT getting there 5-6 days a week. Tues is spin/yoga back to back and Sat is spin...

Give me some knowledge!

Replies

• wannabehuge
    Options
    For weights it all depends on what you want. Usually you start with a warm up and then some stretching. If you're looking to gain muscle mass then you want to do short reps, 5-8 with the heaviest weight you can, but if you want to tone then you want to do 10-12 reps with a lighter weight. Generally you need 48 hours between muscle groups to heal. Its easier if you work chest and tris one day, let that muscle group rest, do legs. let them move onto back and bis, you dont want to work the same muscle group two sessions in a row. I hope this helps
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    stronglifts or starting strength

**** the machines.

do real work

get real results
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    **** machines buy or torrent starting strength and read that and follow it. Control your diet and stop spinning. There I solved all of your problems