Half Marathon: hydration belt?

Options
Question for you runners out there: I am running my first half marathon in a few weeks. For long runs I carry a hydration belt, and I'm trying to decide if I want to wear it for the actual race. Of course they have water along the course, but I'm kind of a control freak and I don't know if there is any benefit to having access to water when you want it, rather than having to wait for a station. Any one want to share their experience? I am definitely carrying my own Gu, because I know what my stomach likes, but of course I prefer to run without two water bottles strapped around my waist. Any advice? I can't deal with the hand-held water bottles, so unfortunately that isn't an option for me. Thanks!

Replies

• omgiacobbi
    omgiacobbi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've never run a half-marathon, but what about a camelbak?
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the belt for running and would rely on hydration stations unless you are going to be running in excessive heat.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have always found that there are plenty of opportunities for hydration along the route. You should be find without the belt.
  • grobekg
    grobekg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the responses above. I hate having anything to hold, hanging from my waist or attached to me when running. The hydration stations have always been sufficient.
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I only wear mine for training cause I have no choice. That is one of the best things about running the race for me is not having to run with anything. Like the others said, there should be plenty of aid stations along the way.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Most half marathons will have water stations at pretty regular intervals, the only reason I could think of for using a hydration belt would be if there was a specific sports drink you preferred and you wanted to carry your own supply rather than drinking whatever the race organizers have (personally I don't tolerate ordinary Gatorade well but G2 is ok). It's more important that you're well hydrated in advance of the race.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    A good race organizer will put the location of their hydration stations on their course maps. Look at the map, see what the distance is between stations and decide if it's frequent enough for how you like to hydrate when you run. If it isn't then you'll probably have to carry something with you. The last half I did had water stations every couple miles, which I think is often enough.

If you're more worried about looking like a tool or that you'll be the only one with a hydration belt, don't. That same half, about a third of the field had belts, so you won't be out there by yourself with one and you won't get (too many) weird looks....
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I found that my half marathon was actually easier than my training runs due to all of the support along the course. The run itself was advertised as "not for first-timers" because it was early august and very hot and humid. However they had water/gatorade every few miles which made everything really pleasant. I typically run my longer training runs with a hydration belt and was happy not to have to wear it!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half last month and I wore a hydration belt. For me it was about having that element of certainty and control within a brand new situation. Mine is the FuelBelt and it's great. Fits snug, does not move around, the 4 small bottles make for a nice even distribution of weight; you can barely feel it is there.

I did wonder if I'd look like a tool, but there were loads of people carrying water, a good number wearing a belt and a smaller number with a backpack water bladder.

There were 4 or 5 water stations along the route and I used some of them. At the first one I managed to miss my mouth with 90% of the water, the rest going up my nose, over my face and down my top. For the second one I remembered a tip about squeezing the cup into a point and drinking from there and putting your hand over the top to reduce spillage - that helped but with each step I was still splashing more water over my face. At the 3rd station I grabbed the water, ran on to the rubbish bin, stopped for 2 seconds to drink and carried on. This was way better and I actually got a proper drink.

I didn't use all stations and I didn't drink all the water in my belt

What everyone says above is absolutely correct; there are ample water stations and the run is easier than training due to the atmosphere of the event. I don't think you NEED a belt at all.

I run my second half in 10 days and as with the first I WILL have my hydration belt with me.

Firstly I like the security of being able to drink when I want to drink. I find it really distracting and off putting when I'm running with a mouth getting dryer and dryer.
    Secondly I like a 50:50 diluted mix of lucozade sport and water.
    Thirdly I don't like to stop and as I found out last time I couldn't take on enough water at the station if I didn't stand still for a few seconds. I know a few seconds is nothing but I just personally prefer to stay in my rhythm.
    Fourthly I loathe carrying a bottle in my hand. Many people have no problem with this at all, but I just don't find it comfortable.
    Fifthly the belt has a nice little pocket I can put my jelly babies in.

So whilst I agree with everything that everyone else has written, I'd personally advise you to wear your belt on this first race; it eliminates one more element of the unknown and as everyone always says, don't try something new on race day.

Enjoy your race.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I always run with my belt.
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options
    You dont really need one for a half marathon, you should be plenty hydrated to start with and use the water stations.

I only ever use hydration packs or belts for ultras.

If it is gonna be super hot you make sure your electrolytes are in check, though unless its the marathon de sables I am sure you will be ok.

Peace
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I get in a bit of a panic if I can't drink at intervals that suit me, and I find the first water station is usually too far in, so I wear my water belt for any race of 10K of over. I don't for full marathons, however, as the added weight makes all the difference and they tend to be better serviced.

After all, the principle is not to do anything different in the race than you have in training, right?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the responses above. I hate having anything to hold, hanging from my waist or attached to me when running. The hydration stations have always been sufficient.

I too hate running when holding my water bottle, I find it irritating, but necessary during training in hot weather. Hydration stations will be a big plus for me when I run my half marathon next year as far as I am concerned.

To anybody that uses a Camelbak, do they weigh very much, what are they like to run with?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've tried a water belt, but don't much like it. I carry a donut shaped bottle, that I can comfortably carry, and prefer that. You should have water stations for your race - most races it seems to me they're at 3, 6 and 9 miles. You might want to explore whether that's enough for your needs.

Whatever you decide, do try it in practice first.
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options

I too hate running when holding my water bottle, I find it irritating, but necessary during training in hot weather. Hydration stations will be a big plus for me when I run my half marathon next year as far as I am concerned.

To anybody that uses a Camelbak, do they weigh very much, what are they like to run with?

I have used all sorts and have a very low profile camelbak 1 ltr pack with a small pocket which you dont know you are wearing.

I also have a nathan energy running vest which is the BOMB, you dont know you are wearing it, it is close to the body and full of pockets and comes with a twin bladder for water and electrolytes with a switch to change or mix both.

I use it for marathon distance or more or very hot runs
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I use a Camelbak and I think it works just fine. It does take a little getting used to on you shoulders, but the weight is not that bad. Weight depends on how much you put into it (empty it is only a pound or so) I generally put about a half gallon of Poweraide in mine, so I'm looking at about 5-6 pounds to start,

They are comfortable to wear and easy to operate on the fly. Just make sure you get all the excess air out of the bladder or you'll be listening to it slosh the whole way (makes for an early pee break with the constant reminder!)

Overall- I love mine!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.....I think what I will do, since I'm running 13 this weekend, is drag my poor husband out, carrying some water, and have him at certain points in my run that would mimic water station points. I won't take my belt this run and see how it feels. I agree that realistically I should be well hydrated enough going in that I don't need a belt, but I think this is probably one of those issues that is more psychological than anything else. And as I've discovered, so much of running is mental!
  • Katy_V
    Katy_V Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above posters - I don't like running with a belt and only do so if I'm over HM distance or if it's unavoidable (e.g. no corner shops on route!). However once I did a half on a warm day that claimed to have water stations at 4 and 9 miles... but there was only one at 8!!! Always helps to check the course first and maybe shove it in your kit bag if it makes you feel better - you can always leave it with hubby on the day.

Di, re Camelbak - it's not the weight as much as the motion - make sure the straps all fit properly especially the bust/shoulder straps
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

I have used all sorts and have a very low profile camelbak 1 ltr pack with a small pocket which you dont know you are wearing.

I also have a nathan energy running vest which is the BOMB, you dont know you are wearing it, it is close to the body and full of pockets and comes with a twin bladder for water and electrolytes with a switch to change or mix both.

I use it for marathon distance or more or very hot runs

Ahh interesting I will take a look on the net for that vest!
  • danblood
    danblood Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Rely on the water stations, but maybe take something you can chew to prevent your mouth from drying up between the stations.

Make sure you're well hydrated throughout the days leading up to the run.