SPAGHETTI SQUASH

Options
Anyone have any really good spaghetti squash recipes? It'll be my first time trying it tonight, I'm hoping it'll be a tasty alternative to pasta!

Replies

• celiason81
    celiason81 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash anytime we made spaghetti- the obvious. I also pair it with other "italian" meals- we're making chicken parmesan which I'll have spaghetti squash with it. It's fantastic too by itself with just some seasonings/pepper on it, or a little grated parmesan cheese.
  • ldobson710
    Options
    When I'm not feeling fancy I like it with just a little garlic, olive oil, whatever veggies I have on hand, and a couple chopped up sundried tomatoes.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat it like once a day...for real. Besides using it as an alternative for pasta, I sautee it in olive oil & garlic. Serve cold with olives, tomatoes and cucumbers cut up. Its awesome!
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am having it tomorrow for dinner just with meat sauce on it and often us it in place of pasta, or I mix it into high fiber spaghetti and sneak it past my son and nephews. It is also good as a side dish with just a little pit of pesto and feta cheese mixed in.
  • feasterw
    feasterw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love to saute a mixture of veggies like red pepper, mushrooms, onions, and spinach. When the veggies get soft I put in a can of diced chopped tomatoes and put that over the spaghetti squash. Top with fresh grated parmesan cheese. YUM!
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love it with canned diced tomatos and grated cheese.

Cut it in half, take out the seeds, put it cut side down in a microwavable dish, cover (with saran wrap), micro 10-14 minutes or so, til tender. Scrape out the squash with a fork. Seperately, heat up a can of Delmonte diced tomatos (with the herbs added, if you like), use it like a pasta sauce over the squash, add some fresh grated cheese. I don't even miss regular pasta. Easy & good!!
  • KimInsanityP
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All positive, love it. I'll make it tomorrow!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I just have it with grilled zucchini slices, a servings of jarred marinara sauce, and grilled chicken. :P Maybe a bit of grated parmesan cheese. Wish I had some to go with the package of italian cheese and chicken sausage I bought yesterday.

Plus, the first time I tried spaghetti squash was at Ruby Tuesdays. I like having another person cook 'new' things for me before I get in the kitchen and screw it up.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    don't forget to roast the seeds. and that makes me wonder. do people roast watermelon seeds and if not, why not?????
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    MrsCarrieRobinson Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I made it for the first time a few days ago, I cut it in half and removed the seeds. I placed it in a dish with 1?4 inch water. Covered with plastic and microwaved for 10-12 mins. Use a fork to remove the 'meat' of the squash, place it in a baking dish, add 1/2 of a cooked onion, 1 clove of cooked garlic, 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes, 1/2 cup fat free sour cream, 1/4 cup sharp cheddar. Mix together, sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese on top and bake at 375 for 15-20 mins. It tastes like scalloped potatoes!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No one else mentioned it so I get to. The best dish ever. Spaghetti Squash Lasagna -- http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/spaghetti-squash-lasagna.html
  • jammer1964
    Options
    I have never tried it ... but after hearing all the positive comments and the benefits as an alternative to regular pasta, I'm going to try it this week!

Thanx!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Ironically, I was also looking for recipes a few days ago to cook my Spaghetti Squash. They posted some great ones too! If you go to the search function...type in Spaghetti Squash and you'll probably find my post. I think it happened this past week or so. :)
  • itsme_timd
    Options
    I'm late to the game but here's my recipe for Spaghetti Squash Lasagna...

http://bit.ly/OxJt0d
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I pour spaghetti sauce over it, its really good!

I also do a seafood sauce as well.

My favorite is the simplest tho... I jsut add a little margarine/butter, and some grated Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of various herbs. Thats it...very easy and simple but its sooooo yummy!
  • MaggieAudiologist
    Options
    bump
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    We just had this for the first time two nights ago. Used it with my spaghetti sauce with chicken and mushrooms. I was scared, but it was really good. I'll be trying some of these other recipes, too.
  • Flutterby6
    Flutterby6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • smittenkitten4
    Options
    I serve shrimp scampi over spaghetti squash instead of pasta, and in my opinion it tastes better. I also like it as a side dish with a bit of fake butter and some herbs, or just salt and pepper.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any really good spaghetti squash recipes? It'll be my first time trying it tonight, I'm hoping it'll be a tasty alternative to pasta!
    If you want it to be an exact duplicate of pasta you'll be pretty disappointed (At least I was at first) then as I ate it more and more I started to like it a LOT more than pasta.

I ate it last night under homemade marinara sauce and homemade meatballs... that's how I eat it usually and it was *amazing*. I can't wait to try all of these suggestions in this thread.