My friends keep asking me, “How are you doing it”?

Options
I began my weight loss journey on January 3rd and I have already lost over 8 lbs. I post my weight loss on facebook along with the remaining weight I want to lose ever week. My friends comment with, “great job”, “keep it up”, etc. but my favorite comment is, “how are you doing it?” I think it’s funny because people think that if you are losing weight you must be on a special diet or exercise program. How am I doing it? The only changes I have made are that I am logging my food here on MFP. I think before I eat. I have a goal when I sit down at the kitchen table. That goal is to eat a specific amount of food that will satisfy my hunger without eating too many calories or fat and to make what I eat healthy so that I am providing my body with the nutrients I need to look good, feel good and be as healthy as I can be. I am also exercising as much as I can each day and trying to get the proper amount of rest each night so that I have the energy I need to continue what I am doing. Before I started this journey, I was so tired every day from eating poorly, not getting enough sleep and not exercising that I had no energy or time to think about what I was going to eat, when I was going to exercise or when I was going to go to bed. I would just order takeout or go to bed when I couldn’t keep my eyes open anymore and I certainly wasn’t exercising. You see, you don’t have to spend tons of money on a special diet or exercise program. All you need to do is make wise choices and spend some time thinking about what you need to do and then find a way to do it in a way that works for you.

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Good job Michelle and I totally agree!!! Keep up this awesome new way of life!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    And as far as I am concerned, you HAVE found the magic pill: Self awareness!

That is the only difference between this time and dozens of others trying to lose weight. I think before I eat and I have a support group of wonderful friends that tell me how GREAT I am doing...........who wants to let them down?? :laugh:

I have told everyone I know how I have lost and maintained my loss for over a year.........but do not have ONE friend on this site from real life!! Not ONE!!

Let's you and me keep plugging along!

Jeannie
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you doing and for how long each day?
  • Melissa_123
    Options
    I was so glad to read this.....I have had the same thing happen. Everyone asks me how I am losing and then they act like I am lying and not sharing my "secret". Not one person will use this site and they all say I must not ever eat. I find that hilarious since I eat all day long....even my students comment on how often I eat. They even crack jokes when I eat: You better log that Mrs. O (fifth graders).

I hope they use it one day! I thank God everyday for this site because before this I thought I had tried everything and it didn't work. This just helped be do it right....I love, love, love MFP. The only problem is I think I am addicted :laugh:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    Similar experience here. Whenever someone asks me "How are you doing it?" and I tell them, more often than not they look at me as though I've just killed their puppy.
    When someone gives me that look, I just laugh in their face. I just woke up one day and decided I had to change my lifestyle and the weight has been coming off ever since. It's not rocket surgery. :wink: Everyone wants a simple fix, but, really what's so hard about this? Nothing! I guess figuring that out IS the hard part.

On Christmas my SIL said "So, you've lost like a ton of weight -- what are you doing? That BS scam of diet and exercise?" I said "yep..." Then she yelled some obscenity and walked away. :laugh:
  • OliveCulona
    Options
    Great job! I completely agree with you.. .it is better to think of weight loss as a new lifestyle or awareness of nutrition instead of a diet. Great way to start off the new year! Thanks for the extra motivation today!
  • meferretti
    meferretti Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you doing and for how long each day?

I do 30 minutes of cardio on various machines including, indoor rower, elliptical, AMT, Arc Trainer. I have issues with my joints so I don't use a treadmill or stepper and I don't run on the track. I do my cardio 3-4 times a week.

I do resistance training on machines and I love to do all kinds of abdominal exercises mostly on a mat, with a stability ball and using a roman chair. I usually do about 30 min of resistance training 2-3 times a week.
  • Notenispal
    Notenispal Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I began my weight loss journey on January 3rd and I have already lost over 8 lbs. I post my weight loss on facebook along with the remaining weight I want to lose ever week. My friends comment with, “great job”, “keep it up”, etc. but my favorite comment is, “how are you doing it?” I think it’s funny because people think that if you are losing weight you must be on a special diet or exercise program. How am I doing it? The only changes I have made are that I am logging my food here on MFP. I think before I eat. I have a goal when I sit down at the kitchen table. That goal is to eat a specific amount of food that will satisfy my hunger without eating too many calories or fat and to make what I eat healthy so that I am providing my body with the nutrients I need to look good, feel good and be as healthy as I can be. I am also exercising as much as I can each day and trying to get the proper amount of rest each night so that I have the energy I need to continue what I am doing. Before I started this journey, I was so tired every day from eating poorly, not getting enough sleep and not exercising that I had no energy or time to think about what I was going to eat, when I was going to exercise or when I was going to go to bed. I would just order takeout or go to bed when I couldn’t keep my eyes open anymore and I certainly wasn’t exercising. You see, you don’t have to spend tons of money on a special diet or exercise program. All you need to do is make wise choices and spend some time thinking about what you need to do and then find a way to do it in a way that works for you.
    You said it perfectly!
  • meferretti
    Options
    I was so glad to read this.....I have had the same thing happen. Everyone asks me how I am losing and then they act like I am lying and not sharing my "secret". Not one person will use this site and they all say I must not ever eat. I find that hilarious since I eat all day long....even my students comment on how often I eat. They even crack jokes when I eat: You better log that Mrs. O (fifth graders).

I hope they use it one day! I thank God everyday for this site because before this I thought I had tried everything and it didn't work. This just helped be do it right....I love, love, love MFP. The only problem is I think I am addicted :laugh:

There are worse things to be addicted to:wink:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I have a friend who told me she cannot hang out with me any more because I talk about the internet too much.:huh:

Apparently you all are imaginary!

She intimated I was addicted and that she knew how to lose weight and didn't need to write down every morsal she eats....oh yea Obsessed was the word.........Now it has been another year.........I have lost 10 more pounds and she is up 5.

OooooooooooooooooK.

The funny thing is I don't get mad, I get sad. Sad because it is so simple......log your food.......eat better, exercise more and IF needed, have support.

Oh well:ohwell:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Oh and BTW, we are NOT in middle school:laugh:
  • meferretti
    Options

I have a friend who told me she cannot hang out with me any more because I talk about the internet too much.:huh:

She intimated I was addicted and that she knew how to lose weight and didn't need to write down every morsal she eats....oh yea Obsessed was the word.........Now it has been another year.........I have lost 10 more pounds and she is up 5.

OooooooooooooooooK.

The funny thing is I don't get mad, I get sad. Sad because it is so simple......log your food.......eat better, exercise more and IF needed, have support.

I think that some people are just in denial. They wish they were where you are, feel what you feel and have the success that you are hainvg. Hopefully they will realize it one day. If they truely understood what you are doing, if they truely are happy with what they are doing, then they wouldn't put you down or make you feel like there is something wrong with you. They would realize that you are doing what you need to do to live a better life. And that is a good thing.

Keep it up and don't let anyone get you down. You should be proud of your hard work and dedication.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

OooooooooooooooooK.

I think that some people are just in denial. They wish they were where you are, feel what you feel and have the success that you are hainvg. Hopefully they will realize it one day. If they truely understood what you are doing, if they truely are happy with what they are doing, then they wouldn't put you down or make you feel like there is something wrong with you. They would realize that you are doing what you need to do to live a better life. And that is a good thing.

Keep it up and don't let anyone get you down. You should be proud of your hard work and dedication.

what a sweety.............thank you:flowerforyou:
  • bunny_98
    bunny_98 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That's so funny! I work in a medical office and I get asked almost daily "how are you doing it?" They all want to hear that I have this amazing pill that you can take and it just all falls off. It's a big joke with my coworkers because they know how much it drives me crazy. We have talked about making up the name of some miracle diet plan just to see what people say. My normal comment is "diet and exercise" with a shrug of my shoulders. It really disappoints people to hear it. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who gets annoyed with this!
  • katie517
    katie517 Posts: 159
    Options
    Anyone else get this one? - "I wish I could lose weight." As though I am one of a select few people with the ability to lose weight. It actually makes me mad and then sad. I just want to squish their faces in my hands and scream "You CAN! Everyone can! It just takes work!"
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Anyone else get this one? - "I wish I could lose weight." As though I am one of a select few people with the ability to lose weight. It actually makes me mad and then sad. I just want to squish their faces in my hands and scream "You CAN! Everyone can! It just takes work!"

I hate when people say "I wish I could Lose Weight." I think it does come down to how much a person is prepared to cjange their whole life. One of my friends loves to talk about all the things she would love to do if she could just lose some weight. I asked her one day what was stopping her all you have to do is watch your calories and exercise. She told me that was too much trouble. Are you kidding me! If you want to lose weight just do it! There is a better chance for weightloss with diet and exercise than there is with sitting and wishing the pounds away.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I get very tired of people telling me how I must never eat....or how I've been "dieting" so long it no longer bothers me not to eat.....I went to a movie with my hubby & in-laws and after the movie my FIL said "I'm starving...I bet were all starving ...except Kathy cause she's used to not eating." Apparently I was supposed to take it as a compliment but it sure didn't feel like one!
    And yes my favorite are the "What are you doing" questions.....I'm not "doing" anything.... It's basic math...burn more than you put into your mouth....yes that's the big secret....watch what goes in your mouth and get your tush off the couch:laugh:
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    I love the people who look so disappointed when I tell them I'm just moving more and eating less. And if they get snarky I have been known to thrown in a "haul your *kitten* off the couch and you'll get the same results" reply---which usually shuts them up.

I am SO TIRED of people thinking there is some magic solution that will instantly dissolve 10 pound of fat from your *kitten*. You got to where you are one m&m at a time(what can I say, I have a sweet tooth), so you'll have to take it off one carrot stick and one brisk walk at a time!

Sorry to bust out my soapbox----it's just so awesome to have a forum where we can vent about this kind of stuff.

And everyone on here should get a round of applause---you are all strong incredible women who are doing an amazing job at conquering the most difficult of challenges!!!!!!!
  • bunny_98
    bunny_98 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mamakat, I love your outlook. I feel the same way and when I read your post I laughed out loud! :laugh:

I am from North Idaho, we are almost neighbors! :flowerforyou:
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I was one of those people who said "I wish I could lose weight!" I ate well but I never had time (I actually didn't for months) to exercise. It wasn't until I came back to MFP and started logging my calories that the weight started to come off. I was eating UNDER my calories so I came here and started eating more and like magic the weight started coming off.

I knew you had to be careful to not under-eat, I just didn't think I was under eating! Telling people I use this site and that I found out I had to eat MORE freaks them out!

Now I have a schedule that allows me to exercise so I'm feeling MUCH better and eating even MORE!

Life is good!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!