PMS is EVIL--- 5lbs in 2 days

Options
Okay.. I wrote in my last post about how I had a bad weekend that resulted in a 5 lb gain.
I just didn't understand what happened.. It's like I went from eating veggies and being a borderline pescatarian to craving Coldstone icecream, cup cakes, and fried chicken.
( I don't even like fried chicken)!!!

To make a long story short-- I almost cried yesterday when I had to record my 4.5lb gain. Then it hit me..I took a look at my progress report and realized what the heck was happening. It never fails... This same time every month(the wk before and the week of) I seem to gain the exact amount of weight... It's like a weight roller coaster that I want to jump off of.

In conclusion-- PMS is evil... Lol

Any suggestions on how to curb these cravings?

Replies

• risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My TOM makes me bloat up about 5lbs. And is starts like a week before!!! So not fair. But at least now I know.

Are you saying the scale changes or are you saying that you eat a bunch and then actually gain weight.

I don't know how to curb this or if it's possible to curb it.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have cramps so bad I don't want to eat, not sure which is worse!
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Almost every woman I know gains weight during their TOM. Sucks, but just know your weight will go back down after a week or so. As far as the cravings, I usually give in a little bit, but try to control it. I keep my cards and cash at home so I am not tempting to buy snacks on my breaks at work. I also stock my house up with health(ier) alternatives. I will get fiber one brownies (instead of eating brownies), low fat ice cream (skinny cow is a great brand). I keep things like that in the house so I am not as tempted. Once you've had a TOM and done well with your cravings, it gets easier. Knowing that you didn't cave last time around, you can convince yourself more easily that you are stronger than that!
  • samuka1
    samuka1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Aww ... Thanks you all.
    Sigh... The darn cravings ... I totally caved in and ate every single thing that I could get my hands on.

I ended up researching remedies and I saw that 5HTP is supposed to help.

Has anyone used it?
  • cybelenoire
    cybelenoire Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I pretty much retain water like a sponge the week prior and week of. I've been off so it's hard to gauge when it's going to hit. One month I'm a week early. The next I'm a week late.

And I will eat anything you put in front of me, especially salty then sweet.
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    Sounds about right! Drink LOTS and LOTS of water!
  • APawli1224
    APawli1224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I usually gain about 10lbs everytime it comes to that time of the month and when it is over I swear I must pee it out or something.. It just disappears.. I dont record my weight around that time of the month :)
  • Thatonegal
    Thatonegal Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Holy Guacamole can I ever identify with this problem. Dealing with it right now and hoping at the end of my visit from AF I will have lost that extra water weight and be thrilled with the progress I made.
    I'm with Bakerchk I usually let myself indulge my cravings in much smaller portion sizes than I have in the past and try to find an alternative if I am craving something truly decadent like cheesecake. mmmmmm cheesecake.
  • sharee05
    sharee05 Posts: 21
    Options
    I know the feeling very well. I am trying very hard not to go in the kitchen and eat everything....Just be happy itd only once a month and for a few days and maybe only give in one day instead of all the days
  • TisheaDH
    TisheaDH Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly what you're going through. I gain between 5-10lbs and my food cravings are legendary. To reduce stress I simply allow myself to eat whatever I'm craving knowing that my weight will return to it's pre-out-of-control state soon enough. I keep exercising and let my body do what it is going to do.

I do my best to make an already stressful time easier on myself and those around me.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I started today and was scheduled to go Stand Up Paddle boarding with my sister, niece, and my sister's and my grandkids. I'm the one that made the reservations and the only one who boards regularly. My sister had only been once before, with me. So I had to go. I was cramping and was so bloated I felt like that girl that turns into a blueberry on Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Or one of the Oompa Loompas. Not a great day for spandex!
  • cblevitron
    cblevitron Posts: 243
    Options
    I bought a bag of yogurt covered pretzels to curb my cravings. Not exactly the healthiest treat, but it beats what I would usually go for right about now!
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Back in the day...when I was thin, I would drink a gallon of ice water with lots of lemon. It really worked for the water weight. I have no idea how to curb cravings.
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    These past two weeks I've only shown a .5 lb weight loss because of my tom. But right now it's showing I've lost 3 lb :laugh: Oh water retention...
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Going through it right now. you know who is evil? Sarah Mc Laughlin. Have you seen those abused animal commercials? I just cried like a baby because the kitty looked so sad. Earlier I cried because I was too short to buy the bike I wanted. The I cried becuase my fiance was trying too hard to make me feel better and I felt bad. Now I want pretzels. Fvck PMS
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs in a 24 hour period as a woman; so, your weight gain is probably not all fat. It's most likely water.
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I usually gain that much or more... I hate it!!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Yes I too gain 5lbs during that special time. Its only "water weight" it will come off quickly after.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I gained 6lbs from mine currently...
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I keep good, dark chocolate in the house for these occasions, and I don't feel bad when I eat it. I am like you; I really crave the sweets. I never keep that stuff in the house, but it doesn't stop me from wanting it.

I also never, EVER weigh myself the week before and the week during. Only after my time do I get on the scale (usually peeking through my fingers). :laugh: