Runners: how much does heat impact your run?

Options
i have to ask this...how much does heat impact your run? i notice a huge difference going from about 80 degrees down to 68-69 degrees. i certainly still sweat and i am still challenged. i wonder tho--will my tolerance to heat improve as i continue running? or is this something that my body has pre determined for me already? any feedback people have would be great! thank you in advance!!

Replies

• tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Your tolerance will improve as you become more acclimated to the higher temps. Living in Florida I've learned to take summers for what they're---you put in the time and miles at a slower pace and it will pay off when the temps start falling. You will run faster in your fall and winter races. Just slow down and stay hydrated!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It affects my pace a ton. You may be able to adapt to tolerate the heat better somewhat, but pretty much everyone will perform worse when it's 80-100F vs. 40-60F.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I really have only run in the heat...because I live in the south :) I also don't tolerate cold very well-I don't like the way my skin feels numb, etc...but I will definitely continue to run no matter what about once or twice a week.... I think you will adjust and your lungs and body will accomodate you to some extent. Just make sure you drink lots of water to replace what you lose.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It affects it a lot. You acclimate to the heat and it doesn't feel horrible after you've acclimated, but then when you have a 60-70 degree day you'll find yourself running super fast. The cold takes time to get used to, too. Sort of hurts your lungs at first, but with proper cold-weather gear its easy to get used to.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The heat kicks my *kitten*. But I live in the pacific northwest where there is no acclimating. Two days ago it was 104, next day 75. You don't get a gradual in between. It is either winter or death.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It affects my pace a ton. You may be able to adapt to tolerate the heat better somewhat, but pretty much everyone will perform worse when it's 80-100F vs. 40-60F.

Agreed.

I have run in temps from 20F to 90F...your body adapts, but it is still a struggle, more so with the heat ;)
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hmmm yes it's harder to run in the heat but at the same time I see more runners in Phoenix than I ever ever saw or have seen living in Ohio or Portland. So I think you can work through it for sure :) I will be training in Phoenix starting in 2 weeks again :)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

Agreed.

I have run in temps from 20F to 90F...your body adapts, but it is still a struggle, more so with the heat ;)
    This has also proven to be true for me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    My body gets ready by sweating early - like getting out the running stuff the night before! Well, maybe not that bad.

I get heat-elevated HR for blood cooling, and with less insulation to the blood, that is working better.

Since I'm usually running by HR zone, the fact of heat-elevated HR slows me down, but figure that also helps stay a tad cooler.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love to run but when it comes to running in the hot sun/warm temps..I just can't bring myself to it. I hate the feeling of my face beating red, warm and it's just extremely uncomfortable. I still love running but I don't force myself to do it. Besides, I strongly prefer running in cold weather! In summer, I normally just stick to biking and swimming.

Love those refreshing 50 degree runs!! Even in the rain. So refreshing and empowering. I suppose running in the sun can be pleasant for the right person. I'm just not used to it.
  • kaajay
    kaajay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Heat keeps me away from running or slows my pace. But I also think the body acclimates and helps endurance.

We had a recent heat wave spell -- since I have no A/C at home, I made the choice to not run.... have to listen to my body.

I think the cold can change the pace too... especially with breathing in the cooler air. But if given the choice, I would rather run in the cold....
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Experts say that optimum running temp is pretty much 60 degrees. And that for every five degrees above 60, your pace will drop by about 30 seconds per mile.

Having trained for my first half marathon entirely during the winter and early spring and doing the half on the water in San Francisco, and now having trained for my next half through one of the warmest summers we've had in years, it has had a huge impact on me and my pace.

There was even one day that I tried to go out too late in the afternoon, ran out of water (prior to that, I'd never once used up all my water on a run ever) and actually ended up calling my husband to come pick me up at one of the trail exits. I had tried slowing down, taking breaks in the shade, and taking walking breaks, but I just didn't want to end up sick, so I called it. It was the very first time I'd ever cut a run short for any reason. My feet were crazy swollen and I was so grateful that the hubby met me with a big bottle of cold water.

That being said, if you are in warm/hot area and continually run in the heat, you will start to be able to run in it better. And you can certainly take additional precautions when you know you'll be running in the heat to help make it better. But it is going to be much more difficult initially.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    ALOT.png
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    ALOT.png

Hehe I love this creature, and his one fang.

Heat kills me, but I don't sweat much so I don't cool off easily while I run, and rely on the breeze to cool me. Until I get home and then it's like every pore on my body simultaneously wets themselves.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    ALOT.png

<3
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think I'd rather run in the heat than in the cold - I can't stand having my fingers so cold that they hurt.....
    Having said that, when it's really hot I run as early as I can in the morning - there is nothing more enjoyable than a cool(ish) morning run before a HOT day.
    I think the key is to carry water, plan your route and time your run to miss the worst of the sun. I also have to factor in the wind - running into a hot summer easterly is a nightmare.
  • achillesheel93
    Options
    Coming from London I'm SO much more comfier running in the cold! As soon as it gets above 20 degrees C my motivation just goes and I get tired so quickly... Even staying hydrated doesn't help! I just can't run as fast.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It affects me a ton! This summer more than any I remember. I think I am getting old. I used to love hot days & felt loose & strong. Now I'd much prefer to run when it's in the 30-40 range. I cant wait for winter running. I kept waiting & waiting to acclimate over the summer, but it never happened this year.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Heat tolerance can improve, but some people just can't deal with the heat. I certainly can't. Even during my peak running days in my 20s and 30s, anything over 75-80 degrees and I was slowed to a crawl.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Experts say that optimum running temp is pretty much 60 degrees. And that for every five degrees above 60, your pace will drop by about 30 seconds per mile.

Which experts? 30 seconds per mile for every 5 degrees? So, my easy run pace at 60 degrees will be 3 minutes per mile faster than my easy run pace at 90 degrees? I don't think so. My easy 9:00 mile pace does not go up to 12:00 per mile at 90°F. My experience is that in uncomfortable temperatures ( depends on the humidity and cloud cover ), that easy run pace will drop by 30 to 45 seconds per mile. I'm talking about temperatures in the mid 90's.

Heat acclimation takes about 3 weeks according to Dr. Tim Noakes based on his research and reported in his book "Lore of Running". After this period of time, pace will start to normalize.