Exercising without Dieting....per se.............

Options
2»

Replies

• sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have done both....
    2011: exercising every day or almost (bike/swim/surf/scubadiving/yoga/dance, well kinda everything I could try (except running though !)). Did not change my eating habits (did not know a lot at this time). My body definitively went smaller (everybody told me so) but I did not loose any single pound (and maybe gained a few actually).
    2012: thanks to the nutrionist I'm here on MFP. And started to login everything (without making me hungry ! just better and probably a bit less food). Same routine exercise than the previous years, and dropped 20 pounds since the beginning of the year (I still have a lot left).
    So why not trying both ? We're not talking about intense diet though but being careful....
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Define a bad diet. Someone that regularly runs long distances will be eating significantly more calories than someone who doesn't train at all. Exercise will be the difference.
    "Bad diet" in this context = a caloric intake in excess of your TDEE. Somebody who regularly runs long distances will obviously have a much higher TDEE than somebody who does a 30-minute exercise video 3 times a week - but even that distance runner will gain weight if they routinely out-eat their TDEE.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.....In theory I agree that you can't out exercise a bad diet...

But....

I actually eat more GROSS calories now than before I was losing weight, because of exercise. My maintenance TDEE without exercise is less than my 500 calorie deficit with exercise. But, I am one of the people that does probably exercise more than the average MFP user, though. So, it's kind of like losing weight based on exercise rather than restriction. Works for me!
  • momarch45
    Options
    thats what I am trying to do....1 lb a week. Like I said in my original post I did do it before....but i reacted poorly some very negative life events and completely stopped exercising for several years. that was a huge problem!

Yesterday I mowed our orchard with a push mower...now THAT was a workout :) It took 3 hours...bruises on my hands even tho I wore gloves..so today i bought a sponge grip for the mower. Was suprised to see the amount of calories this burned in MFP.

C
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If you were previously maintaining your weight (not gaining still), you can continue to eat the same calories as before, add regular vigorous exercise, and lose weight.

If you were previously still gaining weight, you will probably have to cut back on calories.

If you add exercise and then start to eat more than before, because the exercise makes you hungry, or because you convince yourself that you "earned" it, you will likely not lose weight.
  • Theorey
    Theorey Posts: 19
    Options
    No. It's 90% diet. You cannout out-exercise a bad diet.

You can diet and not exercise though.
    love this quote