Running - how long does it take to get faster?

Options
I've been running again for about 4 months doing 2-3 runs of at least 5k a week. My problem is that I wanted to get my time for the 5k under 35 minutes but I am consistently coming in at about 37 minutes no matter what I do. I did a 5k race in early July where my time was just over 35 minutes but I haven't been able to come close since then. I finished up the C25K and now I'm looking for an app that will get me running 10K. My question is, am I just impatient or is there something else I should be doing to get my time down?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I found that nothing I did got me going faster until I started following an actual training program. I used Hal Higdon's plans to train for my 7-K (I used a 10-K plan), my 10-K and my first half marathon.

Just following his program I went from a close to 11 minute mile to doing my half marathon in an average of 9:32 a mile.

I did do heavy lifting on the strength days he included rather than just light strength workouts he recommended.

My half training looks like this:

Sunday - long run (started at 6 miles the first week and increased a mile almost every week [had a few half mile increases])
    Monday - full body strength, heavy/to breaking - both upper and lower body
    Tuesday - mid-length run (usually just under half the distance of the Sunday run)
    Wednesday - alternated between speed training (fartlek style) and hill training
    Thursday - same strength workout as Monday followed by a three mile run
    Friday - rest day
    Saturday - cross cardio (any cardio but running), between 45 min-60 min from start of the program to the end

My 10-K training was similar except the Sunday distances were shorter and Wednesdays were another cross cardio day instead of the speed/hill training.

My pace steadily increased week over week the entire time I was training using Hal's programs. Each race got successively faster.

For the 7-K, I just jumped into the 10-K program as many weeks back from the time I found it to the date of the race, which was about five weeks worth of training. I did the same for the 10-K I ran, which was about four weeks after the 7-K.

The half I did the full program, which was 12 weeks.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Run more. You will get all kinds of "do intervals" and other speed work suggestions, but at 4 months in, more miles and the fitness that goes will work wonders for your speed. If I were to give specific suggestions:

1) Add one more short run per week, say 1.5 to 2 miles to start.
    2) After a few weeks, add 1 mile to one of your 5k runs, so you have at least a 2 mile, a 3.1 mile and a 4.1 mile run each week.
    3) After a month add another mile to one of your runs and do this for 3 weeks, then on week 4 back that mile off for one week.
    4) Continue adding 1 mile and do the 3 weeks and 1 week cutback each month, add miles so you maintain a short, mid and longer run.

For all the above, keep almost all of the runs at an easy pace, with the possible exception of the short run, which you may want to push a little more. In a few months, barring any injury by trying to rush things, you will almost certainly have a much faster 5k time, as well a be well on the way to running a reasonable 10k.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I agree with, run more. I've only run for 5 mos so I can feel your pain. Today I did a leisurely 45 min 5k without huffing and puffing and my HR was 3 beats down from those usual numbers 5 mos ago. You'll get there. I'm impatient too - but these are facts that I've experienced. Keep tabs on everything - you'll see tiny improvements over time!

ETA: Stupid auto correct overrode "HR" as "HOUR"
  • TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Intervals add strength (because it's actually an anaerobic workout) which helps you run faster in a shorter time. Just adding more miles could cause injury and fatigue and if you're not eating enough protein, can eventually decrease muscles strength.

Instead of one of your distance days trade it for intervals. You want to have your work interval be about a minute and be closer to the speed you want to run at (ultimately faster if you can) and a recovery interval that is about 2 minutes that is not too fast to begin with. Do the 1:2 intervals for about 15-20 minutes at most! Don't overdo it.

Each time you do the speedwork, keep upping the RECOVERY speed. Ultimately you will eventually get your recovery speed up near your work speed and voila! You'll be running faster. :)

BEST OF LUCK!
  • I used to be a competitive runner training 55 miles a week. As a very impatient person myself, you need to take your time. I used to have countless injuries by always pushing myself. It is motivating to improve but it isn't very enjoyable. I like the advice you've already received. The other thing that comes to mind is that your time will continue to improve just by losing weight too. I think your time might improve by 20 seconds or so for each 10 pounds you lose. Hope this helps.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, t helps to know that it's not just me! I've looked a bit at the Hal Higdon site and I think I'm going to give it a try. I think in my eagerness I didn't realize that I'd need a more detailed plan than just 'get out and run'!
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Intervals add strength (because it's actually an anaerobic workout) which helps you run faster in a shorter time. Just adding more miles could cause injury and fatigue and if you're not eating enough protein, can eventually decrease muscles strength.

I'm sorry, but this is bad advice.

More injuries are caused by attempting intensity (speed work) prematurely than by working on general conditioning at easy paces.

Beginners need to become comfortable with the distances and give their bodies time to adapt before they even think about speed work.

My advice to the OP is to keep *gradually* building up one of your runs per week until you are in the 10k range, and keep working at it until 5k feels short and easy. THEN start playing with intensity and speed, but carefully, and gradually. Keep it fun, keep the intervals short, and mix it up. Your faster running should not be more than 10% of your total weekly mileage--the other 90% should be at a relaxed, easy pace. If you don't yet have an "easy" pace then you're not ready for speed work. :)

Just keep at it, and you will get there! Your times will improve naturally just by building consistency and giving your body time to adapt to the changes. :)
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Galloways-Book-Running-Jeff-Galloway/dp/0936070277/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345696964&sr=8-1&keywords=jeff+galloway+running+book

Speed work or intervals are the way to go if you want to decrease time. Also, don't worry about being able to run without walking. Run the pace you want and walk as needed. Over time, you will need to walk less. It's all in the book. You can probably check it out at your local library. I took my kids from 0 to a 33 minute 5k in 8 weeks using this.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I used to be a competitive runner training 55 miles a week. As a very impatient person myself, you need to take your time. I used to have countless injuries by always pushing myself. It is motivating to improve but it isn't very enjoyable. I like the advice you've already received. The other thing that comes to mind is that your time will continue to improve just by losing weight too. I think your time might improve by 20 seconds or so for each 10 pounds you lose. Hope this helps.

I totally agree with this. The more weight you lose the better your time becomes. I learned this first hand :wink:
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but this is bad advice.

More injuries are caused by attempting intensity (speed work) prematurely than by working on general conditioning at easy paces.

Beginners need to become comfortable with the distances and give their bodies time to adapt before they even think about speed work.

My advice to the OP is to keep *gradually* building up one of your runs per week until you are in the 10k range, and keep working at it until 5k feels short and easy. THEN start playing with intensity and speed, but carefully, and gradually. Keep it fun, keep the intervals short, and mix it up. Your faster running should not be more than 10% of your total weekly mileage--the other 90% should be at a relaxed, easy pace. If you don't yet have an "easy" pace then you're not ready for speed work. :)

Just keep at it, and you will get there! Your times will improve naturally just by building consistency and giving your body time to adapt to the changes. :)

Agree with this. Yes, intervals and all the speedwork are great, but if you're a newer runner you'll see huge gains just by running more and building up your aerobic capacity. You'll be surprised at how many miles elite runners put in just to train for a 5k.

If you try to increase intensity too much (either speed or mileage), you put yourself at risk for injury. This is probably not what you want to hear if you are impatient and wanted your 5k time to improve yesterday, but you'll be thankful you can still run injury free!

When you're starting out at higher times, you'll see huge improvements at first, but you'll find that for a 5k, it gets harder and harder to improve your time even by a few seconds. But to go from 37 minutes to 35 is feasible, given the right training.

I'm no expert, but I agree with following a structured training program. Even Hal Higdon's 5k plans call for running a "long run" once a week and adding mileage you never thought you had to have to run a 5k.

Again, run more, build a good base mileage, and don't try to race every single day. You will definitely get faster over time.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    To the OP...Higdon is great, do not do too much too soon though, the slowly build part is important. If you are averaging 6-9, you should not go up more than a mile or so a week for a while and take cutback weeks. Too much too soon = injury.

Instead of one of your distance days trade it for intervals. You want to have your work interval be about a minute and be closer to the speed you want to run at (ultimately faster if you can) and a recovery interval that is about 2 minutes that is not too fast to begin with. Do the 1:2 intervals for about 15-20 minutes at most! Don't overdo it.

Each time you do the speedwork, keep upping the RECOVERY speed. Ultimately you will eventually get your recovery speed up near your work speed and voila! You'll be running faster. :)

BEST OF LUCK!

No matter what you do, you should eat your exercise calories back and maintain your deficit on the intake side of the equation. If you are trying to lose weight, then building muscle will be difficult in any case.

I have to disagree with the comments on miles vs. intervals.

The best way for a beginner to build speed, endurance and prevent injury is to slowly increase mileage over time. Intervals and speed work for a runner that has 4 months under their belt and is running 6-9 MPW at a 12+ min/mile pace will not do much as the limiting factor is general endurance.

That said, intervals increase lactic threshold and VO2max. They do not build strength, they do help to maintain a higher effort for a longer amount of time, which will make one faster within their current endurance level (i.e. if you have endurance to run 5k, then intervals will give you a pretty good boost on your 1 mile time as it is well within your endurance level, but get to the edge of endurance and endurance will win out every time.)

The focus of an interval should be the fast part and getting HR up to that 90-95% of max for a short amount of time. The recovery between intervals should be just that, recovery. Whatever pace that gets to fully recovered in 50-100% of the actual interval distance is the right pace to recover. Actively trying to push the recovery pace will diminish the effort on the actual interval resulting in a workout that is very hard on the body and neither effectively builds cardiovascular endurance nor gives the most benefit in terms of speed work.
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of interval training, however endurance is built through long term exercise. Both have a definite place in terms of getting faster. You can't build speed without a higher VO2 Max and Endurance. If you run on the treadmill, try just bumping it up in small increments throughout your run. You'll find that it's not much faster and you may find a pace you like.

I felt like I was slowly trotting along at 6.0 mph, but as I kept building, realized my natural stride feels comfortable to me at 6.5. Just an example, but it's all experimentation. Don't be afraid to push yourself though! Google "Fartlek" (Swedish for Speed Play) for more info! Good luck!
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    add distance and make sure you are running hills. hills are the quickest way to build your muscles and become speedier. granted.. they aren't fun.. but they will do the trick.