E-Reader or Books

Options

Replies

• ninjakitty81
    Options
    I love my Kobo Touch, took me months to actually convince myself to buy it, glad I did. That being said though, I still love and buy books.
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    Options
    I love my ipad for reading!
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love books. My mother was a librarian so always had them around.
    I love my Kindle. We can go away and I don't have to take a suitcase full of books along.

Both are good and have their uses.

Then again, I also read a lot of fanfic on my laptop *laff*
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle!!!!!!

I've been an avid book reader since my teens and would purchase 2-3 a week. I'm almost positive I supplied my local library with their young adult reads.

But with the Kindle I don't have to do a library run every couple weeks and every book is in one place. Awesomeness I tell you!!!
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Options
    They aren't mutually exclusive, you know :-) I have more hardcopy books than one woman will ever need and many that I'd never consider parting with. But I also love to have the ereader for reading in bed (with no lights on), in my purse for short waiting room times, and on public transit. I'm another person who has purchased very few of the books on my ereader. I wait for Nook's Free Friday lists every week and download a dozen or more every week - mostly authors I've never heard of before. Quality varies, but it's a wonderful way to sample new authors and mutually beneficial because I've often then bought other works by those I like.
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I still buy non-fiction and poetry as hard-copies and fiction as ebooks and audiobooks.
  • mrssim
    mrssim Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've tried several times to switch to an ereader but I'm so attached to books. Its just not the same holding an ereader as holding a book. Its silly but I am very sentimentally attatched to the smell/feel of paperbacks :)
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I still buy/check out books! Always will prefer it - but considering a Kindle Fire mostly for convenience. :smile:
  • sarahwilloughby07
    Options
    Personally, I love audiobooks. I put all of the Harry Potter's on my iPod and that's how I got through my first month of work. I'm saving up for a Kindle but it really doesn't matter to me, as long as I'm reading something I'm happy. Except I'm prejudiced against paperbacks. I throw books in my purse and paperbacks get messed up faster than hardcovers (with the dust jackets removed and kept somewhere safe).
  • mrssim
    mrssim Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love audiobooks. I put all of the Harry Potter's on my iPod and that's how I got through my first month of work. I'm saving up for a Kindle but it really doesn't matter to me, as long as I'm reading something I'm happy. Except I'm prejudiced against paperbacks. I throw books in my purse and paperbacks get messed up faster than hardcovers (with the dust jackets removed and kept somewhere safe).
    I've never tried audiobooks, but have been thinking about it. With 3 kiddos my paperbacks tend to get pretty roughed up. My only reservation about the audiobooks is that the narrator wouldn't sound how I imagine the characters too and I'd be disappointed
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i thought that ereaders were dumb. especially after finding out that most books cost nearly as much in electronic form then they do in paper form, but my sister lent me hers while i was at the hospital and i LOVED IT. my hands didnt cramp up from trying to hold the pages open, it was easier to find a comfortable position to read in, i had hundreds of books with me, no losing bookmarks, and no one knew what i was reading, not to mention the battery life was FAR beyond my expectations.

now that ive learned how to download books for free, i wanna get my own.
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I use both and I love my Nook Color a LOT but I do still buy books at the bookstores and the used bookstores. I just can't give them up all together. I'm still a little oldschool.
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    UNTOLDSMILE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Books for sure. I love the weight of them and the smell of an old paperback. I'm weird sue me.
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    While there is nothing that feels quite as nice as having a physical book in your hands, I must say that I enjoy my Nook tablet a lot. It is not always practical to carry 5 or 6 books with me, so the e-Reader is great. I thought I wouldn't be able to stand it when I got it, but after playing with it for a while I find I really enjoy it. Plus if I don't quite want to read, I have other options with me without carrying a set of luggage filled with games everywhere I go.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I prefer the physical book but I love the convenience of having books on my Nook Color (with n2a card) .
    Although I'm running out of room in the house for books/bookcases I have no plans to dump them all and go digital.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am not an avid reader, my husband is and always has been. I bought him a Kindle Fire for Valentine's Day. He was thrilled but after a cpl months he said he really missed the touch and smell of real books. He also like to have actual copies of his books, to loan out and to just have. We have moved many times and the books are a B*tch to move but he loves them.

I have never been much into reading but I have read more on his Kindle than I did before.

Now, he takes the Kindle to work when he's in between books(not often) but usually I have the darn thing.

I think it really comes down to personal preference. A lot of people that LOVE books love them for more reasons than just the story.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Books.

1) New book smell
    2) Old book smell
    3) If you drop a book in water, it has more personality. If you drop an ereader in water it's broken.
    4) Paper books require actual printing = more human jobs
    5) Having an awesome library in my house
    6) Used book stores
    7) Turning pages
    8) Books don't have glare (okay, I guess they make ereaders with matte screens, too.)
    9) You can trade physical books
    10) Being able to gauge how much you've read by the placement of your bookmark
    11) Bookmarks
    12) Books don't run out of battery
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm a qualified Librarian, and I NEVER thought I would say this, but I love my Kindle! I read loads of books on it but, I still have to buy books by my favourite authors in 'proper' book form, because I like to see them on the shelves and it's a different kind of reading experience. The kindle is great for the chick lit and books I'll probably only read once or twice because it stops my house getting over run by books. I also buy non fiction and recipe books etc in paper form. I think there's a real place for both to exist happily side by side.

^^This, especially the last sentence.

I actually got my ereader when I went overseas and didn't find a plentiful supply of English books. I also didn't want to have to pack up tons of books when we moved! I love the ereader (Kindle) and I download mostly just-for-fun books or cookbooks. Most of them are free, poorly formatted, and short, so I can weed through them rather quickly. Classics and things that really interest me, I still buy in paperback format. I bought my first one in a long while the other day and just cuddled it as I walked around browsing. :heart:
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I do love books but not when i have to lug them to and from remote work-sites, for that I'm sure an e-reader will be great, for now I just use the "kindle for PC" program on the computer.

Oh and i have 2000+ books (I did originally mean e-books here but I realized that that number applies to both e-books mostly for free and the real books that I've bought over the years...), 5 of which I've paid for. (but those 5, one of which was a 99cent ebook that was on my "to buy" list for "real" books at $25 for a copy I saved myself 24 and got it for the PC / future e-reader. The 4 other ones? They cost $0.01. I spent some time today "buying" over $600 worth of regular priced books from Amazon's DAILY free ebooks. They won't all be winners, but since they were free if it's "trash" when I read it I won't feel bad about deleting it. With a real book that I paid for and perhaps paid dearly I tend to give the author the benefit of the doubt and will read the whole thing.
    I have tons of real books and don't plan to give them up, but an e-reader (or program simultating it on a laptop) is a real win in my book.

Pun fully intended.

ETA -
    Project Gutenberg offers over 40,000 free ebooks: choose among free epub books, free kindle books, download them or read them online. From their terms of service "Our ebooks are free in the United States because their copyright has expired. "
    that's gutenberg.org
    there's also gutenberg.ca which had a great collection of "fairy tales" like a continuation to Jack & the Beanstalk and similar familiar tales.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Books. I love to read so I figured I'd like ebooks too. My husband got me a Nook for xmas. I love it for watching Netflix/Hulu while on the treadmill and browsing the internet but I hate reading on it. It is great for travel though because when I'm on vacation, I don't want to take a bunch of books, but I always end up buying some because I go through them so fast.