So... How do I tell my boss I'm quitting? :D

Options
It's about a 95% guarantee that I'll be hired for a new job in the morning (I'm finalizing things before I go to my current job tomorrow), and I'm 100% positive my current boss is going to be PISSED.

Between him and my coworker, my position honestly shouldn't exist. However, I do function as their technical support, and I keep track of all my boss' appointments, both work and person-life related.

I work for a very small company, which generally has 7 employees including the manager - I've been here for 2 1/2 years. The 1st of this month, one employee left for a better opportunity. Another is gone for 3 1/2 more weeks for personal reasons, and there is some concern he might not return. My boss is out for most of the rest of the week (he will be in for a little while tomorrow), and I'm giving 1 1/2 weeks notice so I finish at the end of a pay period instead of having 3 days on the following one.

There are several reasons I'm leaving: a pay increase, a job where I'm not tethered to a desk all day, as well as some personnel issues within the current company. Honestly, I'm just very unhappy in my current situation and have been for over a year.

Any suggestions on how to tell him while minimizing the inevitable anger would be excellent. I'm fully prepared to walk out early in the instance that things get too ugly, which is a distinct possibility, but I'd love for it to not come to that.

Replies

• chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would be sympathetic with him saying you are aware that this is not the best time but an opportunity has come up that you can not pass by. Site the higher pay and not being at a desk all day and let him know that you will do everything that you can in the next 1.5 wks to make the transition as smooth as possible. But that you have to do this for YOU.....

Keep it as POSITIVE as you can and stay away from any negative comments if at all possible... Spin it!!
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I would just be professional about it and make sure to tell him how much you've learned at the company/enjoyed working for him and all that (even if you haven't that much, a little buttering up never hurts).

Tell him you can't pass up this amazing opportunity for a career boost but you appreciate him and everything you've gotten out of the experience working for his company, and you'll do everything you can to make the transition a smooth one for him. I would not mention anything negative about your current job -what's the point?

Just be easygoing but professional and firm about it and hopefully he matches your mood. If you get overly nervous or apologetic or defensive, he might pick up on that and act even weirder about it.
    That being said, ultimately, you have no control over anyone's emotions or actions but your own.
    As a fellow professional adult, hopefully he handles the situation with grace and dignity. If not, you can do your best to act that way yourself.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Don't say a word unitl you are 100% sure that you are getting the new job.

Be prepared to answer questions as to why you are leaving but keep it positive. Only say good things and convey thanks for the job they gave you.

Never burn a bridge behind you. You just never know what the furure holds.
    Congratulations and good luck!
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I would thank him for all of the opportunities he has given you over your time there and explain that at this time it is the best decision for you to move on and grow your career in different ways. Just try and keep a positive talk with him, he may not realize it now and may be angry, but as long as you do what is best or you then you are on the right track! Good luck!
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    PS, echo the 100 percent sure rule. You never know!!!
  • alatoyajones
    alatoyajones Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how you should give him the news. I would make sure I am on schedule at the next workplace before giving notice, but I would also have a letter of resignation. I hope everything goes smooth because they did give you the job you have and you never know where you may see them again. Good luck and congradulations!! :-)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Are you giving notice, or just leaving? Because honestly, pay increase or no, just leaving is kind of ****ty to do, especially having been there for so long and making a position for you and all that. But obviously, you have to tell him. I think in your head you know what you need to do, not sure why you're coming here.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Be professional and try to leave on good terms. Good luck at the new job! I hope that everything works out. :flowerforyou:
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to tell him while minimizing the inevitable anger would be excellent.

Try this: "It's not you it's me. I think we should work with other people, but I'd still like to be friends. Keep in touch ok?"
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Are you giving notice, or just leaving? Because honestly, pay increase or no, just leaving is kind of ****ty to do, especially having been there for so long and making a position for you and all that. But obviously, you have to tell him. I think in your head you know what you need to do, not sure why you're coming here.

I definitely stated that I'm giving 1 1/2 weeks notice, so I'm leaving at the end of the pay period. The only situation in which I would leave before that is if things get truly ugly - which is a possibility, because he is going to be quite angry about my quitting. THAT is a guarantee.

I'm not giving notice until I'm 100% positive I'm hired; that's why I didn't tell him earlier in the week. Thank you for all the great advice so far! Any more suggestions?
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to tell him while minimizing the inevitable anger would be excellent.

Try this: "It's not you it's me. I think we should work with other people, but I'd still like to be friends. Keep in touch ok?"

This. Is. Awesome. :P
  • evilcujo
    evilcujo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Barbershop Quartet? No one can get mad at being sung at.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you think your boss is going to be mad, yell or exhibit other abusive behavior then bring somebody else with you when you make your announcement (HR or other boss).
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    -sigh- Singing would be amazing. As long as it wasn't me.

I have no other bosses. We have no HR department. I do fully expect yelling at the very least.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Make a youtube video and link it to them and then don't show up at work again. If they make any comments you don't like, just delete them.
  • loubeth22
    Options
    Do the letter thing. Its what I'm going to do when I bail on this job.

A nice long letter to leave on his desk about how much you enjoyed the chance blah blah blah, and only cite the reasons you are leaving at the very end. Dn't actually say you want out/ properly hint until near the end. If your boss is like you discribe, he's going to get pissed at the start thinking you want a pay rise and then as he reads he'll decide its better for him that you go. He may not even register you're quiting until quite a while later and by then he may even have gone home.

Leave it on his desk before he gets in/ when he's not there so that he can read it at his own pace. If he puts it aside for a week it isn't your fault. You gave your notice. It may seem cowardly but I'd rather not face a yelling boss if I can help it
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    -sigh- Singing would be amazing. As long as it wasn't me.

I have no other bosses. We have no HR department. I do fully expect yelling at the very least.

Then bring somebody from outside who's just going to be there in the room with you. There is no reason at all to let yourself be abused verbally. If bringing somebody else is impossible, if things gets ugly you are 100% in your right to leave the room and/or say that yelling (or whatever else) is verbal abuse and you are not accepting it. Sometimes it is enough to bring things back to normal. Good luck, seriously... Could you give a written notice instead?
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I would just be professional about it and make sure to tell him how much you've learned at the company/enjoyed working for him and all that (even if you haven't that much, a little buttering up never hurts).

Tell him you can't pass up this amazing opportunity for a career boost but you appreciate him and everything you've gotten out of the experience working for his company, and you'll do everything you can to make the transition a smooth one for him. I would not mention anything negative about your current job -what's the point?

Just be easygoing but professional and firm about it and hopefully he matches your mood. If you get overly nervous or apologetic or defensive, he might pick up on that and act even weirder about it.
    That being said, ultimately, you have no control over anyone's emotions or actions but your own.
    As a fellow professional adult, hopefully he handles the situation with grace and dignity. If not, you can do your best to act that way yourself.

This! :) good luck!
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Say "hasta la vista, baby" and walk out like a g.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    - I wouldn't quit until I was told I was getting this other position.

- I would just be honest about the pay increase, ect...

- Offer a two weeks notice, don't walk out because if you ever intend on using them as a reference that looks really bad.

- Have a friend call and ask for a reference on you awhile after you quit so you know what sort of reference they are giving you.