There are 2 blocks of fois gras in my fridge

Options
So my (french) husband asked one of his work colleagues to get him some fois gras when he was back in France on hols. We now have 2 rather fab blocks of rather fab fois gras in the fridge, waiting to be started this coming weekend.

My problem is knowing when to stop. It's soooooo bad for you. I'll have just a small bit then go for a run later that night. Good plan??? LOL.

Oh lord, why are the bad things for you soooooo tasty!????? Not fair.

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Go watch some videos on those poor geese and ducks being force fed grain with a funnel so that their liver bloats to make this 'delicacy', makes most people feel sick enough not to eat it!

Failing that, invite a load of friends round and get it gone in one sitting.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Yes I know the way it's produced is not nice at all.

Well sure my DH will devour most of it anyway! I'm sure he will try and give some to our kids too, they are 2 & 3.
  • droberts3311
    Options
    Never heard of it, what is it? Poor ducks? Not sure, will have to google it....:huh:
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    So my (french) husband asked one of his work colleagues to get him some fois gras when he was back in France on hols. We now have 2 rather fab blocks of rather fab fois gras in the fridge, waiting to be started this coming weekend.

My problem is knowing when to stop. It's soooooo bad for you. I'll have just a small bit then go for a run later that night. Good plan??? LOL.

Nice piece of Steak cooked Rare, A medallion of fois Gras on top just warmed and either some french beans or some tenderstem broccoli, A meal for a king (or queen)!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Is this duck liver? I never heard of it but then I have never been to France.
  • omgiacobbi
    omgiacobbi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's duck liver, and very very expensive! So eat it! Haha!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    If this is just duck liver then why is it so special? I do like liver but have only had chicken and beef.
  • droberts3311
    Options
    I could pass it up, eeewww don't like liver but to each his own. Would rather have a good piece of deer meat!! It is interesting to read about different foods. If you like it and don't get it often enjoy!:smile:
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Love fois gras and I would not be able to resist it!! have a small piece and make it last as long as possible... try to remember how good it tastes then have done with it!! You can look back to how much you enjoyed it as well as how bad it is for you, lol. Works every time for me
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    Go watch some videos on those poor geese and ducks being force fed grain with a funnel so that their liver bloats to make this 'delicacy', makes most people feel sick enough not to eat it!

Failing that, invite a load of friends round and get it gone in one sitting.

its the reason i dont and havent eaten @ kfc anymore..i watched this certain video on how the chickens are treated, so i dont support it anymore
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'd eat it, before the Government raids your fridge and steals it...

But in all seriousness, well, I suppose I was sort of being serious.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Well you get to pay extra money for the liver from a duck that had a feeding tube forced down its throat repeatedly through its short life as more food than the bird wants is shoved into its stomach to fatten the liver. Then as the feeding tube is removed the throat and esophagus is scratched, leading the already abused animal open to infection and even more suffering.

Enjoy paying to support such a cruel practice!

I am not a vegetarian, but I only eat meat grown locally and not factory farmed*
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all things healthy,but knowing what a liver all does,I don't know if I would want to eat that.
  • trunkfish
    trunkfish Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes, sorry to drone on, but it's a product that comes from a normally beautiful bird that sits in a cage all its life and must be alive when the liver explodes to ensure the freshness of the product. The whims around human consumption never fail to disappoint and depress me. Sorry, it mortifies me.:cry:
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

It's usually goose liver and contrary to what's been posted there are not lots of cages across France with exploding birds in them, you should visit it if you get a chance. It's a great place!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

It's usually goose liver and contrary to what's been posted there are not lots of cages across France with exploding birds in them, you should visit it if you get a chance. It's a great place!

Wait, the geese don't explode? Well that makes jamming a tube forcefully down their throat fine!
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would eat it and deal with the consequences on Monday. Seriously. When else do you ever get to have it? Also, the steak recipe sounded delicious. You should try that too!

Thought I would be the voice of reason to the opposite side!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Jeeze, guys. She already has it. It's been paid for already. What do you want her to do, throw it away? Donate it to a food bank?

ETA: Oh, I guess I should contribute to the thread. OP, enjoy it! I don't know the nutritional info, but if you make room you'll be good. If you don't, work out! That steak idea sounds awesome! I've never tried foie gras before, but it seems really decadent!
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    Feel free to send some to me. I'll share the calorie/fat intake with you. :wink:
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Nice piece of Steak cooked Rare, A medallion of fois Gras on top just warmed and either some french beans or some tenderstem broccoli, A meal for a king (or queen)!

Do this! It obviously isn't a meal you have regularly so go for it. Just reduce your calories for the rest of the day or do a mega workout!.

You have it in your fridge, you can't waste it now!