Filling Foods--What do you eat to stave off overeating?

Options
cbenno97
cbenno97 Posts: 130 Member
Hi All,

I wanted to pose the question, "What filling healthy foods do you use to help you feel pleasantly full and stave off the munchies?"

I just discovered that soup is a really good one for me. Often, when I eat snacks (particularly anything crunchy like chips, rice cakes, nuts, etc), I find myself going back for more. Before I know it, I've eaten the bag--(I live in a tiny NYC studio so the fridge is literally about 5 feet from my bed making it easy to keep going back for more!)

Soup (I just started cooking a beef based broth with lots of veggies) is really a belly filling food for me and something I can eat without running back for more every 20 seconds. Also, for me--hot food signals a meal to me while colder foods don't. I know that may be my personal preference.

Even in the summer, I can still eat soup!

What about you?

Replies

• Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Anything high in fiber, or other complex carbs, and protein will help fill you up.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    How fascinating! I have found the opposite! If I count out EXACTLY 15 tamari almonds around 10:00am, I am happy until late mid afternoon....
  • kellyemb
    kellyemb Posts: 18
    Options
    Eggs!!!! Hard Boil them and eat them cold or hot!
  • PinkyFran
    Options
    i have discovered the miracle of miracles!!!!...i had the same problem and never felt full, depressing indeed, so now i have replaced potato with swede its a true miracle....500 gm of swede is 130 calories compared to potato which is 360 .....its filling and if you mash it add a little butter and pepper, i also use garlic in it to replace salt....you can fill up and know you have hardly touched any calories at all...a super guilt free filler.......i also eat strawberries 300gm is 96 calories and will crave any sweet cravings....as for crunch...thats a killer for sure, there is nothing quite like crisps, but if you decide in your head to replace it only with celery( which i dont like much) and only allow yourself one small bag of crisps ( or chips if ur not u.k) a week u will beat the crunch craving
    hope that helps :)
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    watermelon. its 90% water. either that or a bag of raw veggie thats for stir fry. an entire bag of broccoli, carrots, and snow peas for 120 cals and SO much of a volume it holds you over for a long time. also, chicken is frikkin filling as hell.

protein &fiber = filling.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Protein. Science fact!
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Meat and a big bottle of water normally helps me.
  • memomomokoko
    Options
    Air-popped popcorn! <-- But that's very rarely, since I never have time to actually pop them.

Instead, I'd just have some Special K Mini Breaks, or a warm glass of Soy Milk :p

I agree with you when you say that hot foods keep you fuller. That's what the Chinese doctors say as well xD
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies. They have a lot of fiber, which helps fill you up.
  • shooter1357
    shooter1357 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Raw green beans, I throw them in cold water so they are really crisp. They make me feel full for a while and are really healthy!
  • Swizzle1986
    Options
    protein protein protein

and fiber.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Yeah, cuppasoups! And porridge
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    veggies, fruits, and beans.
  • Deedles2012
    Deedles2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with a teaspoon of chia seeds. Keeps me full for hours.
  • tabooski
    tabooski Posts: 89
    Options
    savoury tomato and basil rice cakes. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • cbenno97
    cbenno97 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions all--I am getting great ideas reading these!
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I eat vegetables all day long. I almost never stop eating.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I used to just eat whatever kept me in my calorie allowance, I was always hungry. Now I EAT A TON of protein and veggies. I keep my breakfast and lunch at 300-400 calories and then start to eat smaller at dinner and snacks. I am not starving anymore.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    For some reason, cheddar rice cakes really fill me up. Besides that I just eat veggies so my stomach has something to play with.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    bacon, steak, full fat milk...