Best Cereal

Options
I am a cereal lover but oh the carbs/sugar! Any suggestions on a filling cereal that doesn't put me over my sugar goal (24 g) by breakfast? Other than Cheerios, I've had a hard time finding one that fits the bill.

Replies

• McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Do you like oatmeal? I'm addicted to steel cut oats and they only have 1 gram of sugar per serving. I like them plain, but usually add stuff to them like dried cherries or a little brown sugar and cinnamon. Would also be good with raisins or fresh fruit.
  • noemihogan06
    Options
    Specail K with the dried fruit is pretty good
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I love the Nature's Path Optimum cereals - Optimum Slim is pretty good, with 7g of sugar. Optimum Zen has 13g but is yummy with cranberry and ginger :love:
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I eat Special K Protein Plus

Amount per serving
    Calories 100
    Calories from Fat 30
    Total Fat 3g
    Saturated Fat 0.5g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 110mg
    Total Carbohydrates 14g
    Dietary Fiber 5g
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 10g
  • ajl7053
    Options
    Kashi Heart to Heart. Takes a few days to get used to, but now I love it. I'm a carb counting diabetic and this works for me.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    oatmeal
    Kashi
  • Brittany1979
    Brittany1979 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Raisin Brain, Life, and even though they may have a lot of sugar grams..Frosted Mini Wheats. I love these cereals! :smile:
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    I LOVE wheatabix it's under 200 calories with milk, I don't think theres sugar... and lots of fiber.

Some people might not like it, since my boyfriend hates it.
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, I usually have Special K Cinnamon Pecan (1 cup with 1/2 cup light soymilk weighs in at 195cal, 12g sugar), or the Quaker Lower Sugar Apple Cinnamon with a half ounce of almonds (195cal, 7g sugar). Another tasty cold cereal I've been digging lately is Life (1 cup with 1/2 cup light soymilk is 195cal, 11g sugar).
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Thanks! I can't wait to hit the cereal isle. :happy:
  • stephjohnny
    stephjohnny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i love Fiber One Original. It has 0 grams of sugar.
  • MrBinkerton
    Options
    Kashi good friends cereal!!! 50% fiber~
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Pretty much a repeat answer :) Special K Vanilla Almond, Kashi Go Lean Crunch are my favorites.
  • vrealize
    Options
    Note: My breakfast usually consists of oatmeal and fresh fruit. But I do keep cold cereals on hand. The man gets tired of eating oatmeal every morning.

Barbara's Bakery Shredded Spoonfuls (found in natural food stores, compare texture to Life) -- 24g carb (4g fiber, 5g sugar) per 3/4 c serving
    [1] http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=587770&prrfnbr=892321&pcgrfnbr=881896

Got the man to switch from Frosted Miniwheats (way too much sugar), to Kashi Organic Promise Autumn Wheat -- 43g carb (6g fiber, 7g sugar) per 1 cup (or so) serving
    [2] http://www.kashi.com/products/kashi_whole_wheat_biscuits_autumn_wheat
  • startfromscratch
    Options
    Raisin Bran is pretty awesome.
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I love the walmart brand raisin bran, not as much sugar as the other name brands.
  • JillCash
    Options
    The go lean is awsesome!!! it has just cinnamin and a touch of honey taste i love it!!
  • msladyface
    Options
    Ditto Kashi - they have quite a few now to pick from. Some are sweeter than others, but the one's I've had haven't been grainy like some of the Fiber1 cereals. I've also found that having Silk with my cereal gives it a little more sweetness than regular milk.