My menu for the week

Options
Hey everyone,

Many people have been asking me what recipes I have been making and where I get them so I thought I would share what I am making this week.

Sunday, Jan 17: Cavatappi with Tomatoes and a spring salad mix with a low fat honey lemon vinaigrette dressing. Cavatappi is type of pasta that looks like elbow macaroni but in a spiral shape rather than a C shape. Recipe from Cooking Light Magazine Sept 2009 issue.

Monday, Jan 18: Cornish Hens with Apples served with green beans and homemade mashed potatoes. Recipe from Weight Watchers Now and Later cook book

Tuesday, Jan 19: I work late so I will have leftovers and my husband will cook for the kidsJ

Wednesday, Jan 20: Carribbean Cornish Hen and Sweet Potato Salad. (using the leftover Cornish hens from Monday’s dinner. Serve with Granny Smith Apple Wedges, Onion Wedges and pitted dried plums and green beans. Recipe from Weight Watchers Now and Later cook book

Thursday, Jan 21: Sauteed Halibut with Lemon-Pesto Butter served with brown rice and salad. Recipe from Cooking Light Magazine Sept 2009 issue.

Friday, Jan 22: I haven’t decided yet. Since I get off work at 1:15 I will have lots of time to prepare whatever I like and not have to worry about eating too late.

Saturday we are having dinner guests so I will make either a chicken or pasta dish but I haven’t decided yet.

You might be thinking I work and have kids and I don’t have time to cook like this but I work 50 hours a week and have 2 kids and if I can do it, so can you. I plan my menu on Sunday and my husband goes food shopping. I pick recipes that take no more than the amount of time I have to work with that night. If you notice, the Sunday recipe takes a little over 3 hours to cook so I am making it on Sunday. This way I have all day. I would never make that meal on a week night. The night I am getting home late I am having left overs. You just have to find what works for you. If you don’t like to cook then you can simply make plain chicken, veggies and rice or something like that. You certainly do not have to get this creative although it keeps things interesting and keeps you from getting bored. I’ll let you know how these meals turn out.

Replies

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I love your plan. I know I need to start planning out my meals more that is for sure.

Have a wonderful week.
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Do you have a way to post your recipes on this post area.... I don't have the cooking light magazine or weight watchers now and later cook book?

Thanks,
  • meferretti
    meferretti Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Do you have a way to post your recipes on this post area.... I don't have the cooking light magazine or weight watchers now and later cook book?

Thanks,
    If you go to http://www.myrecipes.com/recipes and type in the name of the recipe you can find them. Below are the 2 I posted.

Sauteed Halibut with Lemon Pesto Butter:
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1918487

Cavatappi with Tomatoes:
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1918489

I will post the Weight Watchers recipes in a bit.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Michelle, I am in awe.
    Thank you for posting the links to the recipes. I have already printed the halibut recipe and can't wait to try it (I am not much a cook, but I think I can handle this one). Thanks!!
    Zaza
  • meferretti
    Options

Thanks,

Cornish Hen with Apples

Prep: 15 min Roast 1 hour Serves 4 plus leftovers

1 Tbsp fennel seeds, crushed 3 tbsp brandy or low sodium chicken broth
    1 tbsp grated lemon zest 1 tsp butter
    1 tsp olive oil 2 Granny Smith Apples, cut into ¾” wedges
    ½ tsp salt 1 onion, cut into ¾” wedges
    3 (1 ¼ lb) Cornish Game Hens, skinned ½ cup pitted dried plums
    2/3 cup apple cider

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large roasting pan with nonstick spray.

Mix the fennel, lemon zest, oil, and salt in a small bowl. Tie the legs of each hen together with kitchen string and rub evenly with the fennel mixture. Place the hens, breast side up, in the prepared roasting pan. Roast 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring the cider, brandy, and butter to a boil in a small saucepan. Boil 1 minute and reserve.

Remove the roasting pan from the oven. Spoon the apples, onion and dried plums around the hens. Pour the cider mixture over the hens and roast, basting the hens every 15 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into a thigh registers 165 degrees F, 30 minutes.

Transfer 1 of the hens to a container and let cool. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days for later use in the Caribbean Cornish Hen and Sweet Potato Salad recipe. Cut the remaining 2 hens in half. Place the hen halves and apple mixture on a platter. Serve with the sauce from the pan, skimmed of any visible fat.

Per serving: (1/2 hen with ¾ cup apple mixture and 2 ½ tbsp sauce): 313 Cal, 7 g Fat, 2 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 134 mg Chol, 282 mg Sod, 30 g Carb, 4 g Fiber, 30 g Prot, 51 mg Calc.

Caribbean Cornish Hen and Sweet Potato Salad

Prep 10 min Cook 20 min Serves 4

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 reserved cooked Cornish Hen from the Cornish Hens with Apples recipe
    1 (5 ½ oz) can pineapple chunks, drained
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    2 scallions, thinly sliced
    3 tbsp low-fat raspberry vinaigrette

Bring the potatoes and enough lightly salted water to cover to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl and let cool 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove the meat from the bones of the hen and chop

Add the hen, pineapple, bell pepper, and scallions to the potatoes; mix well. Add the vinaigrette and toss gently to coat.

Per Serving (1 ¼ cups): 211 Cal, 5 g Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 67 mg Chol, 318 mg Sod, 24 g Carb, 3 g Fib, 16 g Prot, 49 mg Calc.
  • meferretti
    Options
    Michelle, I am in awe.
    Thank you for posting the links to the recipes. I have already printed the halibut recipe and can't wait to try it (I am not much a cook, but I think I can handle this one). Thanks!!
    Zaza

You're welcome:smile:
    Enjoy!