Replies

• terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    31yo F here - Nursing student who also needs to lose at least 100 pounds
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    48 year old nurse working in Heart and Vascular center. Would love to get rid rid of the menopot! Feel free to add me as a friend .
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    31 year old OB/GYN nurse. I am a pescatarian and I have sjogren's syndrome. All feel free to add me. Have been slacking but back on track.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    you can add me i'm an ER tech same crazy eve/noc hours plus two kids under 5,that i'm home with all day. techs help you at work we can also help you here too . :)
    any of you can add me. welcome to mfp everyone!
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    55yo, working in dialysis, mostly evenings. I have tried many of the usual culprits for weight loss. WW too many times to remember, Nutrisytem, Beverley Hills and a couple of others. Right now working on eating a healthy well balanced diet. Focusing on getting my proteins, carbs and fats balanced and eating lower sodium.

I have also been working with a trainer doing strength training. Ladies if you have not tried it I urge you to get to a gym and get a trainer to show you how to lift weights. I cannot believe the change in my upper body strength. I used a trainer because I have previous shoulder, neck and knee injuries that I did not want to reoccur. They have not! In fact, I think the muscles in my legs and back are so much stronger now that I more range of motion.

The weight is not coming off as quickly as I would like but my shape is changing and my clothes are starting to feel loose. That beats out the number on the scale for me. :flowerforyou:

So feel free to add me.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    44 year old nursing student (semester from an RN) gone interpreter!
    100 pounds to lose.
    Friends welcome.
  • nicenurse2012
    Options
    I am a 39 year old high school nurse. Just graduated in May with my BSN ( finally after 5 years part-time!). I have been a nurse since the age 20. I had gastric bypass in 2006. Gained about 15 back. Now I am trying to lower my calories and have started Jillian Michaels body rev. Only my second day, yet I love it! I need to stay motivated. You can add me!

Andrea
  • northerngem
    Options
    Nurse here too! After almost 8 years of public health *right out of university*, I have moved into the hospital setting - yikes! Work mostly dialysis but on the floor as well ... struggling with the 12 hour shifts, eating and exercising! Pls add me ... i have no "friends" on MFP. :)
  • 1chatham
    1chatham Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse also and retired and working 4 days a month. It is so true that nurses do not look after themselves. Looking to lose some weight and get fit. Starting to jog some and gym visits. !2 hour shifts are not good for our eating and exercise habits
  • kayakira
    kayakira Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, all!

I am an AN (almost nurse), graduating in December with my BSN. I just had my daughter in May, and plan to lose 76 pounds before August of 2013. I lost 100 pounds prior to starting nursing school, put back on 20 during nursing school, and then have some baby weight to melt off. We can do it!
  • KatdenRN
    KatdenRN Posts: 52
    Options
    So this is where all of the nurses are at.. ya know.. the career where you work for 12 hrs... get two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch break .. where you are over paid.. over appreciated .. and always have the chance to eat appropriately!

Well... I'm not sure whose job description that was.. but it isn't mine! I work in :tongue: an ER and will take/give all the support I can!
  • eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am a nursing student (half way to my RN---wooohoo!!) and need all the help I can get!! I love the idea of having other MFP nurse friends!
  • sausagepaula
    Options
    Hi community nurse here! Stress causes me to eat so also need support. We even have an office snack drawer. Feel free to add me x. I have 28 lbs to lose x
  • nursiepoo3
    nursiepoo3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Alright! You all are so wonderful! I never knew I would be networking with so many great people. Thank you all so much for your wonderful responses. Nursing is a great career but it can take its toll if we are not careful. To all my fellow nurses who work long hours, always on your feet, and caring for others, its time we care for ourselves. To my friends who are in nursing school, technicians, or just friends near my age, thank you, thank you. Here is to our new, healthier lifestyles. It is going to take some creativity- especially when working off tour shifts. Lets face it, there is no one more creative then a nurse. We all should be able to figure out how to eat better and get our exercise in.
    Thank you all for your support, encouragement and friendship. :)
  • Bassgirl51
    Bassgirl51 Posts: 117
    Options
    Wow a lot of awesome people. Glad to meet you all. I have done it all nursing wise, ER, Cardiac, CCU, Heart transplant, etc no NICU that is scary!!!!! Lol.

I know we have all tried so many things and I feel for you night shifters. I just came off of nights aft 8 years and it makes it soooooo hard to lose. But not impossible. Well let me rephrase that, not harder just longer. At least that was my experience.

I started last oct 2011 just watching what I ate and walking on the treadmill the three nights that I was at work for 30 min. ( we have a small cardiac rehab and have access to it.) I took my lunch break and walked, when I was able to take one lol. Often times it was not until 4 am. I also did not eat after 4 am. The usual 5-6 smalls meals, balanced carbs, proteins and fats. And I wasn't as diligent on my days off. Which could have had a lot to do with the slow weight loss. Anyway, it did come off about 20 pounds from oct to may.
    Then I found the " Body for life for women," and it specifically talks about menopause and weight loss. That is where I found the word "menopot" Also talks about weight loss after pregnancy etc. it was pretty good book. Not much different from what you have already read, which is balance your food, eat small meals, exercise blah blah. But it deals with what to tweak for different phases of life.

If you all want motivation look at the BfL web site and click on the older champions photographs and look at the transformations. These people were all over 50. It is amazing and can be done!!!
  • 21June
    21June Posts: 99
    Options
    Hi, i have just started and need all the help too. I am 51 years and work as a Psychiatric staff nurse and shift patterns and no breaks at times leads to erratic meal times.
    Being a nurse and working shift patterns really doesn't help. I know! :o)
  • 21June
    21June Posts: 99
    Options
    I am a 56-year-old nurse who wants to get in shape and find mental, physical, and emotional balance. I tend to put others first and have decided that I need to give myself some TLC now. I have lost 37 pounds but need to lose an additional 100 pounds. I just started exercising and realize just how out of shape I am. ( I sound like a little train puffing up the hill.) :) I could really use some supportive friends for the journey. Thank you.
    Good luck and add me if you like? I'm a nurse too! :smile:
  • NurseSweeny
    NurseSweeny Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I graduated 6 years ago with my Associates in Nursing. Have been a 12 hour midnight shift RN on a cardiac step down unit since then. Along with working midnight shift, I have two beautiful children Emily who is turning 14 next month and Aiden who is 4. I am currently back in school and plan to graduate in May with my BSN. Life is crazy but, I have made getting healthy a priority.

Nice to meet you all :flowerforyou:

14130412.png
  • MackLaura
    Options
    I am a 49 year old nurse working agency at the moment... Anyone interested feel free to add me!!
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and an RN on a heme/onc inpatient hospital unit. I work 12 hour night shifts. I find it so challenging to make heather choices at work due to lack of sleep. I would love to share support and horror stories with any of you guys! Add me too!