"Why French Women don't get fat."

Options
Just got this book. She suggests a weekend fast of Leek soup as a way to kick start "reconditioning".

Any thoughts?

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Considering the title of the book, I'd not listen to a word she said.

But leek soup does sound lovely.
  • ruksha123
    ruksha123 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sounds good but only if it is tasty. Any other tricks? I've always wondered why French women never get fat
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Portion size. Exercise. That's pretty much it.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    They walk everywhere and eat much smaller portions. One of my best friends is French and she is very picky about her food. She even bakes her own bread because she thinks Americans put sh** in their food. She has an aversion to fast food/frozen food.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think stuff like that completely sets the wrong tone. You don't need a "kick-start." You need to decide you're going to eat better, period, and start developing habits you can live with forever. If it's going to be a lifestyle change (and that's the only way it will be successful), you don't need to start the whole thing off by eating nothing but soup for 2 days.

The only reason anyone advocates these "jump-start" or "kick-start" methods is because you will probably lose several pounds of water weight and think you're losing "real" weight, and you'll get really excited about it. Then, the second week, when you haven't lost anywhere near what you did the first week, you get discouraged and either quit or decide to go back to eating nothing but soup. It's just bad for you all the way around.
  • Julietecosse
    Options
    Hate to tell you, but I live in France and at the supermarket I have seen lots and lots of obese and very obese women.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i live in switzerland and i can tell you in general, you do not see very many obese people in europe. i've been to france numerous times and the abundance of patisseries, fromageries, konfisseries is overwhelming. there is a bakery on every street corner selling fresh bread, pastries...basically any high carb thing you can imagine.

my thinking is this: 1) if you live in europe, gas is ridiculously expensive so you learn to rely on public transportation. hence, you will WALK everywhere in between. 2) europeans have a true grasp on realistic portions. you would be surprised what 40g of brown rice really looks like...and no joke, you will get ONLY 40g of brown rice on your plate if that is what you order. 3) there is no such thing as "free refills" here. there is no 64oz portion of soda at your local mcdonalds. you even have to pay for ketchup here! 4) we don't skimp on butter, cream, whole milk...if i want butter, i'll eat it but i won't slather it on. better to have a little bit of the real thing than too much of the substitution. 5) quality of food is better...not too much processed crap. if you're eating quality food, you're more likely to be satieted by eating less.

bottom line: eat less, move more. that's how french women do it. and by moving more, i don't mean running marathons. just day to day using your good ole arms & legs to get you from point A to point B. oh and the ocassional cigarette surely helps with appetite control...not exactly good for you but parisians are well-known chain smokers!!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Being English I have a natural opposition to all things French but I can't help thinking that their natural inclination to eat fat-rich foods in the face of 'popular' dietary advice has helped their cause.

Basically, they follow their heart and taste buds more and to hell with expert advice.

It pains me to say it but I reckon they have a point ...

There is no 'French Paradox' because the original assumption was wrong, dietary fat is good for you.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    They swallow, it's a negative calorie food don't cha know.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

I get a slap around the wrist for mentioning hair below the belt once and this kind of comment is allowed?

It's an outrage!

It may be true but it's still an outrage! ;)
  • emilym_3
    emilym_3 Posts: 62
    Options
    Portion size. Exercise. That's pretty much it.

Yeah, she says they eat with their brains.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I get a slap around the wrist for mentioning hair below the belt once and this kind of comment is allowed?

It's an outrage!

It may be true but it's still an outrage! ;)

I'm sure I'm going to see the backside of a mods hand.