Carbs, eat them or not?

Options

Replies

• ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    Do what you want, if you decide to cut them out you aren't going to lose brain function and die like some suggest on these boards. On the same hand eating carbs doesn't put you on the diabeetus, heart disease train either. Figure out what works best for you and go with it, and the only way to figure that is with time, patience, and experimentation. Good luck!
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I still eat carbs and so far it's been working for me. Now, I don't eat bread and pasta etc as much as I used too, but I do allow myself to have them once in a while. It's really all about moderation.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Bread is good for you, just stay away from crappy bread. you should try ezeikiel sprouted bread. it's amazing. you probably want to stay away from most grocery store bread. also avoid fresh from the bakery (while you're trying to lose weight, not forever). they use bleached flour and lots of oil.

if you have one slice a day what's the big deal? i cant ever be full without at least one slice of bread per day, i get crazy.

And now a little about Eziekiel bread my one and only true lover:

Made from freshly sprouted organically grown grains, naturally flavorful and bursting with nutrients. Rich in protein, vitamins, minerals and natural fiber with no added fat.

100% FLOURLESS • COMPLETE PROTEIN • WHOLE GRAIN BREAD GLYCEMIC INDEX: 36 Ezekiel 4:9® Sprouted Grain Bread

We discovered when these six grains and legumes are sprouted and combined, an amazing thing happens. A complete protein is created that closely parallels the protein found in milk and eggs. In fact, the protein quality is so high, that it is 84.3% as efficient as the highest recognized source of protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids.

There are 18 amino acids present in this unique bread - from all vegetable sources - naturally balanced in nature. Ezekiel 4:9® Bread is made from freshly sprouted organically grown grains, is naturally flavorful and bursting with nutrients. Rich in protein, vitamins, minerals and natural fiber with no added fat.

INGREDIENTS: Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Millet, Organic Sprouted Whole Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Lentils, Organic Sprouted Whole Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Whole Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs. usually between 40 and 50% of my diet is carbs. I'm half the weight I was and it's worked all through that. You might be different though.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I can't give you an answer for fear of being called a one-trick-pony.

If you maintain a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I eat everything. :)
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    If you maintain a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.
    This.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I :heart: carbs WAY too much to cut them out & I don't see a problem with eating carbs as long as you don't over do it - if you're staying within your daily calorie goal and measuring the calories accurately, then I don't see eating them as a problem. Personally what I have done is swap over all my white breads to multigrain bread, white pasta to wheat pasta and white rice to brown rice and I watch my portion size. I also try to eat most of my carbs before the afternoon (usually for morning tea on my break I'll have pasta, rice or bread) to give me plenty of energy for the rest of the day at work and then I follow it with fruit, yoghurt & nuts in the afternoon before I head to gym. I try to stick with meat & veg with only a little bit of carbs for dinner (potato, 1 slice of bread, very small side dish of pasta/rice, etc.) and I have found by reducing my carb intake through portion control and better quality of carbohydrate that I am full and have plenty of energy and I am still able to eat the things I love. If you're a big carb eater like I was, the idea of cutting out any food group in my eyes is unrealistic and destined for disaster (sounds like a quick fix to me!)... everything in MODERATION and PORTION CONTROL, PORTION CONTROL, PORTION CONTROL.
  • AsiasMommy
    AsiasMommy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Did Atkins before and gaining it all back. This way works better for me because i eat in moderation.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've always been a big carb eater. I feel like I need them for energy. I generally eat only whole grains. I was wondering what all of you think about cutting out most carbs like breads, pastas, rice etc, and just eating mainly fruits, veggies and meats? I don't know if this is really sustainable. I'd like to hear what you all think, and what has worked for you.

I still eat carbs, just less of them. Calorie choices on my part. Hasn't hurt my ability to lose weight or get in shape.

Carbs are not evil. If you're going to eat carbs as part of a naturally balanced diet, try to stick with complex carbs instead of highly refined flours and simple sugars. Even small amounts of simple sugars won't hurt most people. Really, it's up to you and what you prefer for the balance of your diet.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm only eating 10% (or less) carbs, 65% fat, 25% protein (though allot of times my protein out weighs the fat. Never the less I'm around 10% carbs and it seems to be working for me :)
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    I've always been a big carb eater. I feel like I need them for energy. I generally eat only whole grains. I was wondering what all of you think about cutting out most carbs like breads, pastas, rice etc, and just eating mainly fruits, veggies and meats? I don't know if this is really sustainable. I'd like to hear what you all think, and what has worked for you.

I took off most of my weight by limiting carb intake. Having said that I would give this general recommendation:

1. The percentage carbs isn't nearly as important as the total number - especially if you are doing physical activity.
    2. Even the Harvard School of Public Health recommends limiting carbs, especially simple carbs (outlined below).
    3. If your kidney function is normal, then lower carbs and increase protein - diets up to 20 percent - (I know I just said the percentage wasn't as important) protein have been well studied. Studies on diets of up to 40 percent protein are underway and thus far there seem to be little ill effects if you have normal kidney function and are not diabetic.
    4. It is sustainable...I did it...I cut out breads, pasta, etc. I didn't cut them out 100 percent..but when I did eat them I made sure they were very nutritious substitues (ie Ole Extreme Wellness Wraps) 12 grams fiber, 8 protein, 4 net carbs.

So why on earth should you do this? Why cut the carbs?

Quickly: According to the Harvard School of Public Health

"In the 1960s, fats and oils supplied Americans with about 45 percent of calories; (1) about 13 percent of adults were obese and under 1 percent had type 2 diabetes, a serious weight-related condition. (2,3) Today, Americans take in less fat, getting about 33 percent of calories from fats and oils; (4) yet 34 percent of adults are obese and 11 percent have diabetes, most with type 2 diabetes. (5,6)"

So while cutting out 12 percent of our fat, we got 20 percent heavier. Why?

"Detailed research—much of it done at Harvard—shows that the total amount of fat in the diet isn't really linked with weight or disease. What really matters is the type of fat and the total calories in the diet. (7-15) Bad fats, meaning trans and saturated fats, increase the risk for certain diseases. Good fats, meaning monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, do just the opposite. They are good for the heart and most other parts of the body."

If you want the rest of the story (about fats and carbs) see the link below:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/#Intro

To simplify the story quickly - carbs are converted to sugar which initially is converted to glycogen to replace stores that empty so that energy is always available. High sugar causes insulin spikes which can result in diabetes. In addition, when carbs are not needed in great demand - ie not exercising over 45 min - and high amounts are taken in - the excess carbs get converted in the liver to Triglycerides and Fat. They raise LDL (bad Cholesterol) as well. Carbohydrates are also felt to be "proinflammatory" leading to the development of hardening of the artery walls.

Bottom line: Excess Carbs become bad. How much is enough for you? You might have to ask a dietician. When exercising it's generally recommended that if you exercise over 1 hour you take some in. It's not weight based and this is to maximize performance. You'll fatigue early other wise. Not a big deal unless you really are training for something or want to go longer.

Hit me up if you need more info:

Recommendations would be cut cals and the fats you eat should be heart healthy fats - as much as possible. Cutting carbs back to 45 percent is reasonable. I average approximately 35 percent carbs, 30 percent fat, 35 percent protein.
  • madlibscholar
    madlibscholar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I get the majority of my carbs from fruit and veg, mainly because I don't like things like bread and pasta. I do find that without starchy stuff, I am less hungry and I have a lot more energy in the day, so I like that aspect. I've also lost my craving for sugar completely, which is weird, because I used to have a sweet tooth back when I was eating bits of everything in moderation.

So, I guess I'm low carb, but not really for weight loss, mainly because of personal taste.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Just be careful of what carbs you eat.

I try to stay away from process foods, I only eat sugar if it comes with the fiber that it was born with and I generally stay away from (or severely limit) foods that have been deliberately processed so that the fiber was strip and left them calorie dense.

In a nutshell, that wipes out a lot of candy, chips, crackers, breads, fast foods and a whole slew of things that we will usually agree is junk, which is also carbs.

People will often try to mock the idea of cutting back on carbs (don't eat them you will grow a horn and go blind!!) but when you think about what junk food is and what carbs are worth holding onto, you still end up in the same place, whole foods.
  • mrsshep00
    mrsshep00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    www.carbnite.com!!!!
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Yes eat them, why deprive yourself? Just make sure you get enough proteins and fats and then eat the rest of the calories left however you like
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    When I eat too many carbs I get a terrible headache. Like today, for example. I'm tired, I feel sick, and my head is killing me. On the bright side, I feel too gross to even think about food so I'll probably be under my calories, but I still feel like I should have had protein instead. :(
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My Dr. put me on a low carb diet due to medical issues (pre diabetes, etc). I mean LOW carbs - 50 NET per day. I can tell you that before this, I was not only NOT losing weight, even with diet (WW) and exercise but I was gaining weight. I cut out all starchy, carb heavy foods - sugar (the main one), flour, rice, pasta, bread, etc. The carbs I eat come from fruits and veggies and a few whole grains here and there. I feel so much better - I have more energy, less aches and pains, my digestion and GI system is working better. I have been doing this since Feb. of this year and managed to lose 35 lbs so far. The weight loss is slow and steady but that's good. If I stall out, I drop my carbs and up my calories and then switch back about 2 - 3 weeks later. I do eat low carb, high fiber tortillas and wraps but that's the only "bread" type product I eat.
    I think if you feel healthy and your meal plan is working out for you and you are getting the results you want, then why change it? If you can eat carbs and still lose weight, be healthy, etc. then go for it! I would DEFINITELY be eating them if I could!!!
  • pramasaurus
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I agree that eating balanced is probably what is best for me. My sister had a lot of success losing weight by limiting her carb intake, so I was just wondering what has worked for others. I think for me its going to be mainly about portion control, but not cutting out anything in its entirety. Thanks again!
  • xoxobollywood1991
    Options
    Excluding carbs would be the worst choice to make. I think my diet consists of 60% carbs. But GOOD carbs. Not any **** like carbs from cakes, Mc'donalds, bread(white), pasta and so on. But the carbs from wholegrain, fruits, veggies...+++