There are 2 blocks of fois gras in my fridge

Options

Replies

• dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    So my (french) husband asked one of his work colleagues to get him some fois gras when he was back in France on hols. We now have 2 rather fab blocks of rather fab fois gras in the fridge, waiting to be started this coming weekend.

My problem is knowing when to stop. It's soooooo bad for you. I'll have just a small bit then go for a run later that night. Good plan??? LOL.

Oh lord, why are the bad things for you soooooo tasty!????? Not fair.

What time is dinner? I would not be able to resist.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Think you ought to be ashamed of yourself for not considering the outrageous medieval practice that produces this product and also for promoting and normalising the concept of foie gras on an internet forum. Selfish.

As I said before, there are good and bad in all industries, including foie gras. It does not have to be produced via la gravage...

"The (California) ban was brought about by lobbying from animal activists, and no one paid much attention to it until this year. So, for eight years California producers did not learn how to produce foie gras without force feeding the ducks.

If only they had looked to Spain, they could have learned how geese are raised, freely roaming, and then by eating the native plants, develop the most delicious foie gras imaginable.

Eduardo Sousa, raises geese as a free-range farmer in the Extremadura region of Spain and refuses “la gavage” (force feeding the animal).

Initially his foie gras was deemed too gray in comparison to the yellow livers of geese raised on force-fed, artificially colored corn. Sousa planted bright orange flowers native to the area around the grounds of his farm and the geese developed the classic yellow foie gras."

BTW, OP needs to message some of us her address, and we will gladly come help you with your dilemma! :drinker:
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think some peoples moral compasses are a bit out on this thread. If you eat meat of fish none of the creatures on your plate or whatever expired through natural causes just to feed you. They were killed with the sole purpose of proving a product that someone could make money from. If you are going to take the moral high ground regarding animal welfare then at least do it from being a veggie.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    WOW seriously give the OP a break. It is something that is definitely not something normal that she consumes.

What should she do with it then? Waste it? Throw it in the garbage? Cry herself to sleep for buying this product?

I personally wouldn't buy it, but there is no reason to jump on her for it because YOU don't support it.

@OP make what you like, and just watch your portion! savor it and eat slow :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's bird liver. Heck, it's liver. Ew. That's enough for me! lol
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Eat as much as you want and enjoy it! Do an extra or longer workout and/or cut back som calories from other days this week. Nothing wrong with cheating here and there. :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I watch a ton of Food Network so I know what it is. I just wanted to see some pictures of it and Google comes up with this mess:

fg1.jpg

wtf goog, wtf.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Gah, I LOVE Fois Gras. Last time I was in Paris I had some at this little place and I almost went to heaven, it was that incredible.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Think you ought to be ashamed of yourself for not considering the outrageous medieval practice that produces this product and also for promoting and normalising the concept of foie gras on an internet forum. Selfish.

And I'm sure 100% of all the products you use are acquired through cruelty free companies. Oh wait, it's almost impossible to know that.

Yay! Being judgmental is fun! Not really, just live and let live, okay? I'm sure her husband's purchase isn't keeping the entire foie gras market sustained.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I watch a ton of Food Network so I know what it is. I just wanted to see some pictures of it and Google comes up with this mess:

fg1.jpg

wtf goog, wtf.

Fifty Shades of Foie Gras
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I will gladly eat all of it for you. :drinker:
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    "foie gras" means "fat liver".

I lived in France and although I've only tried it once (not a big fan of liver...) I have to say that in the European Union (AND in France - which is a member) it is FORBIDDEN to produce the liver the way you describe it. Nobody is forcefed. The goose eat how much they want (and they usually overeat, which makes the liver fat).

The only Western (!) country I know that allowed forcefeeding with tubes of animals until very recently (they forbid it in California, righ?) was the United States!

Just saying. In the EU it's been forbidden for years!

THIS!!

I will be enjoying this again in a couple of weeks! Dine away, my dear! Savor it!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I'll be right over...god I love fois gras...
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I feel it's one of the more disgusting things I've ever tasted, personally. Years ago it was served with some fancy cut of beef at a classy restaurant and I almost spit it out. Expensive or not, I don't like it. :(
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options

fg1.jpg

wtf goog, wtf.

Fifty Shades of Foie Gras

ahahahaha best string ever!!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am ignoring reading all the thread of the politically/humane correctness of the product and answering the OP question of how to control her consumption.
    I would eat it as an accompanment to my main meal. OR eat my main meal first. then wait 20 minutes drink two glasses of water, and eat the fois gras as an after meal treat.. by now you will feel full and will not over indulge.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Turn vegetarian?
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Jeez, I didn't think it would turn into this kind of discussion.

Each to their own. If people are offended by how it's produced, don't eat it. Simple as. It's my free choice.

I eat meat, battery chicken fillets, beef I'm sure which wasn't humanely treated. If I could buy organic, free range meat from animals which have had a fab free-roaming life and locally produced I would but that's not the reality these days.

I am FULLY aware of where/how fois gras is produced btw. And I still choose to enjoy it. Berate me for that if you want. My DH is heading into the french bakery in Dublin on Saturday to get some baguettes (and french cakes) so we can have some on sat evening. I will enjoy it. Merci beaucoup.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Jeez, I didn't think it would turn into this kind of discussion.

Each to their own. If people are offended by how it's produced, don't eat it. Simple as. It's my free choice.

I eat meat, battery chicken fillets, beef I'm sure which wasn't humanely treated. If I could buy organic, free range meat from animals which have had a fab free-roaming life and locally produced I would but that's not the reality these days.

I am FULLY aware of where/how fois gras is produced btw. And I still choose to enjoy it. Berate me for that if you want. My DH is heading into the french bakery in Dublin on Saturday to get some baguettes (and french cakes) so we can have some on sat evening. I will enjoy it. Merci beaucoup.

Bon Appetit!
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the rare treat! Try to minimize your carbs that day... Or let all your carbs that day come from wine only!
    Lol but i am serious