Breakfast good or bad

Options

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with lots of protein in the morning.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    add banana and then youre talking good stuff.
  • rrrainiii
    rrrainiii Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter on whole grain english muffins or in my oatmeal nearly daily! I try to limit my serving size to ONE tablespoon instead of two, though. *shrugs*

It's working for me. But, as we all know, everyone is different. As long as they fit into your calorie allowance for the day and you like them, I'd say PB sandwiches are a go. Of course, there are technically "better" versions, with wheat/grain bread and natural peanut butter, as people have stated. I'd go that route if you can. I try to eat as many whole grain/wheat items whenever possible in terms of bread, pastas, crackers, etc - I definitely have seen and felt a difference.

Cereals and oatmeal make good breakfasts, too, and I like them when I have time...but I'm with you, peanut butter sandwiches are just so quick and convenient when you're on the go.
  • farkleberrypinerd
    Options
    I have Ancient Grain (no high fructose corn syrup) toast with natural peanut butter, plus a glass of milk, for breakfast; I love it. :D About 400 cals and it keeps me full all morning thanks to the protein. Peanut butter is a good source of healthy fat too, I believe. Just make sure that you're not eating too much, and try to buy as natural as you can. Good luck and bon apetit!
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    I do a fruit smoothie, and steel cut oats with walnuts.

Fruit Smoothie
    1 banana
    1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries (or some other kind of berries)
    1/2 cup almond milk
    5 ice cubes
  • 48daisygirl48
    Options
    Peanut butter isn't terrible but depending on how much you use you can get a lot of fat and sugar. I'm trying to eat a healthier diet and drop some pounds. The nutritionist I just saw suggested Oatmeal and fruit for breakfast. It is filling and nutritious.
  • 48daisygirl48
    Options
    This sounds really good, easy and transportable. Is it filling?
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. Add some fruit and maybe a glass of milk? Also, I used to get tired of my oatmeal, but still eat it most days. I usually eat a serving of oatmeal with a Tbsp of Flax seed meal, cinnamon, and blueberries or diced apples and a splash of milk. I have (& this may sound gross) also just had it plain with a fried egg chopped up in it and a sprinkle of bacon bits. Good luck! Feel free to add me if you like! :happy:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Is your breakfast possibly causing cravings for sweet or salty things later?

Does it feel like you are getting enough fuel from your breakfast to handle your day until lunchtime or midmorning snack? (fruit/nuts/veggies/whatev)

Are you rushing your breakfast and that is why you choose this food? Do you find yourself eating so fat its almost like it never happened?

Have you ever tried carving out 15 minutes in the morning to enjoy a sit down breakfast once a week as a treat? where you cook something pretty for yourself and turn off technology and just enjoy eating for a few minutes?

Do you get anything like a sugar rush, or dizzy or nauseated in the mornings after you eat this?

Could you maybe add a multivitamin to the mix?

You can tell which Yes's and which No's are good and bad. If youre not having any trouble, and youre well fueled and still trying new things occasionally and getting nutritional value from your breakfast, and you like it and are happy with it... then I just dont see a problem.

We dont have to be militant in our food decisions, we'll burn out. Some people enjoy being so - sometimes I am one of them, but the rest of the time I really like to see the big picture.

Did I eat 75 grams of sugar for breakfast? Because I had OJ and Lucky Charms or a Boston cream donut or a honey bun or a 550 calorie cheese danish with nothing else of value in it? Because I do this all the time for breakfast and always end up craving more sugar all day?

Or do I generally choose a low sugar, high protein, high fiber breakfast with fruits and nuts that fuels me just fine til lunch?

Big picture.

not ... is peanut butter ok.... but instead asking - in general do I have a healthy diet of foods that I eat?

My mom always told me that my diet should be as varied as my vocabulary and you dont want to sound ridiculous or eat ignorantly.

ps this is my breakfast right now:

Greek yogurt with passion fruit, honey, granola, espresso beans and pecans ~ and a piece of zucchini pumpkin seed bread.

394532_10152267666785107_35646619_n.jpg
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    (think of the peanut butter sandwich as your outfit - now accessorize it!!)
  • ninamariesanchez
    Options
    ooooh I like this
    I do a fruit smoothie, and steel cut oats with walnuts.

Fruit Smoothie
    1 banana
    1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries (or some other kind of berries)
    1/2 cup almond milk
    5 ice cubes
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    PB is higher calorie, but I think it often times gets a bad name. If PB sandwiches are what you like and it fits into your macros, then eat them. You aren't going to get that protein out of a bowl of cereal and protein is important! Eat your PB in moderation. I agree with an early poster, you might add some fruit of something to go along with it or put a banana on your sandwich if you're just wanting to change it up a bit. There's also PB2 if you just want to ditch the fat in regular PB. It's a powdered PB that you mix with water. It leaves out all of the oils, etc. It doesn't taste like JIF or anything like that, but it's surprisingly good. I would also suggest a whole grain bread rather than whole wheat.

Hi, I'm not sure. It doesn't sound particularly healthy. Isn't there a lot of calories in peanut butter?

Don't you like cereal? Or just brown bread toast? Or berries and low fat yogurt?

I'm a bit boring with my breakfasts and mostly have bran flakes with skimmed milk. Lunch (when at work) is usually rice cakes/crackers with low fat cheese spread and marmite.

:flowerforyou:
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Also, how much peanut butter you're using matters too.

Eat what YOU want for breakfast as long as it fits into your calories and macros. I for one probably could not because I can easily make a 500 calorie PB sandwich!!!!
  • ninamariesanchez
    Options
    Also, how much peanut butter you're using matters too.

Eat what YOU want for breakfast as long as it fits into your calories and macros. I for one probably could not because I can easily make a 500 calorie PB sandwich!!!!
    what is macros?
  • ninamariesanchez
    Options
    PB is higher calorie, but I think it often times gets a bad name. If PB sandwiches are what you like and it fits into your macros, then eat them. You aren't going to get that protein out of a bowl of cereal and protein is important! Eat your PB in moderation. I agree with an early poster, you might add some fruit of something to go along with it or put a banana on your sandwich if you're just wanting to change it up a bit. There's also PB2 if you just want to ditch the fat in regular PB. It's a powdered PB that you mix with water. It leaves out all of the oils, etc. It doesn't taste like JIF or anything like that, but it's surprisingly good. I would also suggest a whole grain bread rather than whole wheat.

Hi, I'm not sure. It doesn't sound particularly healthy. Isn't there a lot of calories in peanut butter?

Don't you like cereal? Or just brown bread toast? Or berries and low fat yogurt?

I'm a bit boring with my breakfasts and mostly have bran flakes with skimmed milk. Lunch (when at work) is usually rice cakes/crackers with low fat cheese spread and marmite.

:flowerforyou:
    what is PB2?
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The three primary macros would be your fat/carb/protein. I do 45% carbs, 20% fat and 35% protein... everyone is probably different on that. I'm not sure.

PB2 is a powdered peanut butter. You mix 2 tbsp of powder to 1 tbsp of water. It has 45 calories per serving with nearly 85% less fat calories....1.5g fat.
    http://www.bellplantation.com/products/1-case-jar-pb2.html
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound like a dumb question but I have a peanut butter sandwich alot in the mornings is that good or bad? I am trying to switch up what I am eating I have been on here for 8 months and I have lost and gained it all back so here I am again not giving up on myself! I need help with like what is good for breakfast and lunch

Good or bad really depends on your entire diet and not singular food items.

If you're eating ONLY peanut butter sandwhiches all day, that's probably not good.
    If you're eating a PB+J as a part of a nutrient rich diet, you're totally fine.

</thread>
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a bad food, only a too large serving. I think a PB sandwich on wheat bread with some fruit and milk would make an excellent breakfast.

edit: and considering I had a medium frappe with 2 sausage burritos from Mickey D's I should be one too talk! :laugh:
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter sandwiches all the time!! It's my easiest go to breakfast or lunch. It keeps me full, has healthy fats, and even some protein. BUT I eat every 2-3 hours, keep my body fueled, stay low on sugar, and hit my macros. It's not necessarily what you're eating but how you're going about fitting it into your day/plan
  • sweetqui23
    sweetqui23 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It isn't bad. However peanut butter has alot of calories Maybe switch to wheat thins and natural peanut butter and maybe do every other day