Chubby female 5'4 UK, I'm shy, be nice?!

Options
I'm pretty rubbish at introducing myself but here goes...I'm a 5'4 female teacher from England and I like to sing- I'm in a band and we gig quite a lot locally. I've only just started using myfitnesspal with the Iphone app- one week in and I've lost 2lbs so far.

I wondered if anyone else feels like people see their body instead of them? I constantly feel dogged by my weight and my own self consciousness...particularly when I'm in front of a class or in a crowd. My job and hobby require me to stand in front of people a lot of the time and whilst I love people; I HATE feeling watched! My wardrobe, my lifestyle and even my interactions with other people are often dictated by the way I feel about my body at the moment and I am going to do something about it!

I intend to lose my excess weight healthily but it's difficult as although I stand up most of the day, I spend my evenings planning lessons in front of the computer which is only exercising my brain, not my body!

Really hoping some kind people out there will be willing to share their experiences with me, I could do with some friendly motivation!

Thanks! x

Replies

• marielw
    marielw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also from the UK and i'm also 5' 4"
    I've always been conscious of my weight and can't wait for it not to be an issue anymore.
    Add me as a friend if you like! :o)
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Well, i'm from England but no 5'4, I'm 5'6 lol
    I'll help you along with some motivation if you like, we're both on the same journey!
    Add me if you like deary :)
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    we should start a UK 5'4 group... :o! lol
    x
  • veriddian
    veriddian Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    But pixtotts that might make us sound common! We could start a group for fluffy rabbit lovers though! Do you have any? I've got two of the varmints; they eat all my furniture, grr :D
  • Katy_V
    Katy_V Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Also from the UK and also 5'4"!!

I don't sing in a band but I do perform too (comedy shows) so I totally hear you - it can be dispiriting when people see your body as ALL that you are. Add me if you like I'm new to MFP too :heart:
  • littlefreckle91
    Options
    I'm from the UK and 5ft 4.I started in April this year at 10 stone and am now maintaining at 7st 12.I log in daily and I'm always here for support! You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • kuzurichan
    kuzurichan Posts: 134
    Options
    I'm always doing my best to support, encourage and motivate people. :) Apart from that, you can also check out this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/694202-the-hopefully-biiiig-i-need-friends-thread

There are plenty of people there looking for more friends, and if you don't want to go through the thread, there's PLENTY of people on my friend's list who'd love more friends, and they're all kind, lovely and active people. :)

We're all in this together. <3
  • cheesypeas71
    Options
    I am also 5'4 UK.

Out of interest, does anyone know what measurement a cup is in British?
  • runboostie
    runboostie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note: I glanced at your picture and did not see "chubby." I saw quite a beautiful, vibrant woman singing. Do I need eye surgery?
  • davepavone
    Options
    I agree with runboostie
    am I am not in the UK and I am 6'

Cheesypeas

Some common volume measures in English-speaking countries, in millilitres (ml) Measure AUS CND UK FDA[4] USA
    Teaspoon 5 5 4.93
    Dessertspoon 10 — —
    Tablespoon 20 15 15 14.79
    Fluid ounce 28.41 30 29.57
    Cup 250 284.1 240 236.59
    Pint† 570 568.26 — 473.18
    Quart 1136.52 — 946.35
    Gallon 4546.09 — 3785.41
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the UK, just a tiny bit shorter at 5'3, feel free to add me :-)
  • boey2
    boey2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi I live in the UK and I am also 5'4.
    Im battling with my weight a lifetime.
    I moved to the UK 3 years ago and lost 2 and a half stone. I've now put on nearly a stone and am back to feeling horrible about myself. I say every week thats it, im going to do this , but i end up comfort eating.
    I really need help and motivation.
    My problem is evening time. I do great all day but in the evening disaster strikes.

I really need to do it this time, as am fed up feeling conscious.

Please feel free to add me :) xx
  • Biglobofan
    Options
    We are all nice! I'm nowhere near you but I think I would enjoy all of your UK discussion. I'm working my way toward a healthier eating lifestyle and reduce my intake on a daily basis and only spluging once in a while ... we here in the US tend to over indulge more often than not on our meals. Michael - Albuquerque US
  • Chessie28804
    Chessie28804 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You're beautiful, so don't let your own body image take control. I have discovered that when you are more kind and positive to yourself you somehow lose weight faster than when you are not. If you constantly keep battling with yourself, then what support do you have? It's easier to allow yourself to have negative feelings and therefore act out unkindly to your own body.
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK but 5'6"

Feel free to add me for support. I used to feel the same way but MFP and the support I gained has helped me with my confidence and the fact that I can do this! I can be the person I want to be with a little work!

Good Luck and feel free to add me!

S
  • CooperA1979
    CooperA1979 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm 5ft 3.5 and from the UK. I started my weight loss journey back in 2010 and weighed 12st 1 and managed to lose 3.5 stone with the old WW plan. Since my wedding in March I have gained a stone and can't lose it with the new plan so friends suggested MFP and so far, so good.

Please feel free to add me anyone as we CAN do this :-) One day at a time!
  • madmish00
    Options
    Another UK 5'4" lol

Good luck with your journey. I lost 21lbs back in 2009 and have managed to keep it off. My current mission is to improve my overall strength and fitness. You are welcome to add me.

To the person who asked about 'cup' measurements unfortunately it depends entirely on what you put in the cup! A cup of rice is about 190g whereas a cup of grated parmesan is only 90g. You can get measuring cups though to avoid the hassle of having to convert
  • archduchess
    Options
    Hello! I'm a 5'5" primary teacher who lives with a mad giant house rabbit (who eats all my furniture and bites me when I try to do anything for her welfare, such as brushing, giving meds or cleaning out her cage) and sings in a choir (me, not the rabbit, although she is like an unofficial mascot).

In your profile pic I don't see someone chubby, but a vibrant rock and roll fox!

It is hard though when you feel that way about yourself and you're in a position where you're in the limelight. I've been trying to half-heartedly lose weight for years, but it wasn't until December when I developed gallstones and had no idea what the pain was but thought someone was putting my stomach through a mincer that I decided to take it a bit more seriously. In February I was hospitalised with an impacted gallbladder, lost a stone and a half in about a fortnight as I was living on jelly and fruit juice, had it out in April and have carried onwards and downwards from there. The experience was a really big catalyst for me and the kick up the *kitten* I needed to sort myself out. I've taken advantage of the summer hols to get in the pool every day, and the gym as often as I can, coupled with a complete new attitude to food, I'm intending on entering my 30th year as fit, not fat!

Keep going, you can do it!
  • banshishi
    banshishi Posts: 197
    Options
    Im a uk lass too..although I am 5'7, have a monster amount of weight to lose..also have no fluffy bunnies...do hedgehogs count I have one of those.
  • archduchess
    Options
    do hedgehogs count I have one of those.

Hedgehog? Way cool!