Protein recommendations

Options
kekagel
kekagel Posts: 94 Member
I need to up my protein. I eat a lot of chicken and Greek yogurt with protein. I don't like fish. I've been considering protein shakes. Can those that come in the huge tubs be used just as a source of protein or are they more for people that do a lot of lifting?

Obviously I want something that tastes good. Any ideas?

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes work fine for those who need extra protein. I use Body Fortress (can find it at walmart, very reasonably priced) and it's pretty tasty.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Basically, think of straight protein powders as "powdered chicken".

That's what your body thinks of them. Same stuff, different delivery vehicle.

Typically powders are used by people doing excercise that would otherwise have a problem meeting their needs on whole foods.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Taylor knows what's up. You can get Body Fortress brand at Walmart (online I think they have 6 lbs. of it -- 3 containers -- for $38 or so), and you'll get 75 shakes at 26 grams each from it. It tastes good to me -- pretty much just like chocolate milk (vanilla isn't bad either). Unlike a lot of people, though, I use 10 ounces of milk in mine -- that makes it taste good.
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Like Taylor said above. Its just another vehicle. I use my protein powder when I'm lacking in that area but it's not something I use every day.
  • weemawhit
    weemawhit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I drink the lean1 protein shakes. I really enjoy them, they taste delicious, and are VERY filling. I add in fruit to mix it up a bit, but vanilla and chocolate are both great. (I stay away from the strawberry flavored shake because it tastes too fake, but if you add in a few berries to vanilla or chocolate, it's a beautiful thing! Haha.) I prefer buying them pre-made directly from Smoothie King (I know other shops make them too), because I can't make them taste as good at home, but they still aren't bad.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Basically, think of straight protein powders as "powdered chicken".

That's what your body thinks of them. Same stuff, different delivery vehicle.

Typically powders are used by people doing excercise that would otherwise have a problem meeting their needs on whole foods.

lol i consider my protein bars my chicken breasts.

i use a combination of protein powder in my oatmeal or in a shake (20-30+g), i eat a protein bar pretty much everyday (theres 20g) and then i recover my workouts with a protein shake (about 15) so i supplement a lot of my protein.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    also. turkey burgers! lean and good protein source! :)
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Protein powder is still a little creepy to me too, but I've gotten over it for the most part and take it now at least once a day. Optimum Nutrition is the best one you can buy, but there are lots of options to choose from.
  • irishbunnylover
    irishbunnylover Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Beans. Clif bars. Nature's Path Blueberry Cinammon Flax cereal has the highest protein of any breakfast cereal (that i know of). Light soymilk.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I use usn diet fuel and it tast very nice and only 193 per drink
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm with the people that use it to supplement when lacking protein. I also use Body Fortress; I like the strawberry, and just put it in water.