400 calories for breakfast?

Options
MissKalhan
MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
I've heard through a few people that your breakfast should be around 400 calories. Is this true or just a myth? My breakfasts are usually between 150to 300 calories and this keeps me full until 2 which is when I usually get a snack before lunch. Anyone know if not having 400 calories for breakfast can stop weight loss?

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I eat 500-600 calories for breakfast. The rest of my meals (5 in total) are 400-500 calories each.

Adding: A lot of coaches and people I have spoken to state that a big breakfast, medium sized meals throughout the day, and a small, low carb dinner is overall best because then you've got the energy you need for the day, but when you eat dinner is often just before you go to bed, so you get more protein and fat for recovery, and fewer carbs during dinner because you don't need the energy.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You can eat as much for breakfast as you like. Some people eat 800 calories and lose weight, some people don't eat breakfast at all and lose weight.
    If your breakfast works for you, stick with it!
  • jodiegauv91
    Options
    Do whatever feels right for you! I definitely can't get by on a 200 calorie breakfast and usually average 400 (usually need a snack late morning also!)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    You can eat as much for breakfast as you like. Some people eat 800 calories and lose weight, some people don't eat breakfast at all and lose weight.
    If your breakfast works for you, stick with it!

This. When you eat and how much you eat is entirely preference.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Mine are typically 200-300 cals but I always have a roughly 200 calorie mid-morning snack, so it's kind of a little more I guess.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    well, you have a certain number of calories you can eat each day. how many & when you eat them is entirely up to you. currently i have a 200 calorie breakfast because i find i'm just not that hungry in the morning.
  • RickMckc
    RickMckc Posts: 38
    Options
    I once had a friend who would say "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper." I'm not sure it's how things really work, but he was in great shape!
  • kaajay
    kaajay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It has been suggested that breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day -- your metabolism spikes after awakening.

Lunch should be smaller.

Dinner should be smaller than lunch.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have better luck having 400-600 cals for breakfast than eating a small breakfast or skipping. Try to eat small amounts every 3 hours after breakfast to keep your metabolism burning at its hottest. Just make sure your dinner is small and you don't graze at night. If you're going to have a large meal or a "cheat meal," ALWAYS do it at breakfast or lunch, NEVER at dinner! Good luck to you!!:wink:
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually around 200-300. I have my greek yogurt and usually some grapefruit. I'm boring that way.
  • greenbaboond
    Options
    Mine is usually between 400-500. I find I'm just too hungry if eat less than this - and then I end up binging on salty or sweet snacks.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've heard through a few people that your breakfast should be around 400 calories. Is this true or just a myth? My breakfasts are usually between 150to 300 calories and this keeps me full until 2 which is when I usually get a snack before lunch. Anyone know if not having 400 calories for breakfast can stop weight loss?

I used to not eat breakfast at all and still lost weight (that's actually when I lost the most weight). I now drink a protein shake which is about 300 calories and I do fine. I don't think it matter
  • StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Breakfast should always be your biggest meal, it starts your day, you burn these calories ALL DAY LONG. :) I don't see why not! :)
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually between 400-500 calories, except on rest days, when its still usually more than 300.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't stay full unless I eat about 400 calories. I end up eating that between breakfast and AM snack anyway, so i let myself have the bigger breakfast. I don't feel compelled to have a huge lunch or dinner after.

On the flipside though, I often am hungrier all day if i have a nice breakfast. It's a mental adjustment for me.
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    \

On weekends I eat 1000+ calories for breakfast! Because I am a beast HEAR ME RWARRRR.

But on a serious note. 750-1000+ calories, breakfast is yummy. Tho it doesnt matter when or how you eat your calories just that you hit your macro nutriants and stay within your calorie deficit.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    It has been suggested that breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day -- your metabolism spikes after awakening.

Lunch should be smaller.

Dinner should be smaller than lunch.

This and
    Breakfast should always be your biggest meal, it starts your day, you burn these calories ALL DAY LONG. :) I don't see why not! :)

This are entirely false.

Further reading:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency?hl=compliation+meal+frequency
  • Montanarush
    Options
    My breakfast is 400-600 calories, with at least 30-40 grams of protein. At my weight loss clinic they also told me that if you eat that much protein, you will lose about 40% more fat during the day. Its working for me. I've lost 54 lbs. so far.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I eat between 200 - 380 calories. My weightloss went fine. No problems.

Maintaining now and my breakfast is the same.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Ideal breakfast for me is 500 or so calories. When I eat less than that it just isn't enough to properly be able to budget my calories throughout the day.