Steak!

Options
NCchar130
NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
I grew up vegetarian and still eat that way 90% of the time. When I do eat meat, it's usually turkey or chicken and I just learned to cook chicken at home a few years ago.

I am planning to cook my husband a steak dinner for his birthday next week! I have never eaten or cooked a steak in my life so I would love it if someone could give me some basic pointers.

I don't have a grill; I have skillets (not cast-iron), convection oven, and George Foreman indoor grill.

I've talked to various coworkers about the best way to go about this, how to season it, etc, would love input from some of you. Since it's his birthday, cooking it to be a light diet-friendly meal is not necessarily what I'm concerned with, just that it tastes awesome. He doesn't eat it rare or medium-rare when we eat out, so I'd want to cook it to medium-well or well-done.

Assume that I am a moron regarding steak in your replies :tongue:

Replies

• camsamdad
    camsamdad Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I cook on the grill but a few weeks back I googled fried steak and it came up with a bunch of different ways. I forgot which one I did but they turned out great my son loved it.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    So I can't give you any tips on how to cook it since I prefer my steak medium rare/rare and consider anything over medium rare burned, but I can recommend a seasoning- McCormick Grill Mates Spicy Montreal Steak. My dad has always been a firm believer that steak is too good to 'ruin' with seasoning, but once I introduced him to it I put a stop to his old ways! I put it on all of my steaks for me and my SO, and it adds a ton of flavor with a tiny kick of heat.
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Here's a website I found just for your question...with pics =)

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/CookingPerfectSteak.htm

Personally I like purchasing short ribs (cut lengthwise) or Korean style ribs, and marinating them in teriyaki sauce. After it's been marinating for a day I grill them or pan cook it (until cooked through, or well done). Always comes out tender and delicious. Good luck! By the way, here are some images of them: http://www.google.com/search?q=korean+beef+short+ribs&hl=en&rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS491&prmd=imvnse&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=93I2UJL8LrO1yQHnx4E4&sqi=2&ved=0CIQBELAE&biw=1280&bih=796
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ok well since you dont have a grill its hard becuase steak is awsome with a little salt and pepper and pour a little beer over it while its grilling on low preferably over mesquite wood.. but since you dont have that you might want to use your george forman grill. and just season with like salt and pepper. put in a skillet some butter and onions and mushrooms and stirfry those up to put on top of the steak... Im not sure about cooking steak on stove top and in the broiler for me it always turns out too tuff.

Note: By Ribeye!! its the best!
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We own a ranch I know all about good steak!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    As much as I love cooking and steak itself, if you haven't had a steak before or don't like steak, I would suggest against cooking it. Maybe change the meal to something else or get one from a steakhouse or at the very least, try eating a good steak before hand and then see how to cook it (physically, not online).

Just my humble opinion. Good luck with the steak dinner
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I put a rub on it, wrap it snugly in saran wrap and put it in the fridge for a day or so. then I grill it. I have done this on a george foreman grill before too and it was good but you have to watch them on there as they dry out easiers. We like our steaks medium rare so it doesn't have to seer long to cook that way. You can cook it in a skillet too but watch that you don't overcook it, but since he likes his steak overcooked then you can cook it in a skillet or george foreman and don't have to worry about it lol. We rarely go out to eat steak because I can make them just as good as the restaurants according to my hubby.
  • rburgess7
    rburgess7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Put the steak in a zip lock bag and cover with Olive oil for about 20 minutes. Use your George Forman grill. Get some Macormick grill mates Montreal steak rub. Put a little on both side(just a little) then grill it for about 12 minutes 6 on each side for medium. After the 12 minutes lightly press on the steak, if it feels firm remove from the grill. DO NOT CUT IT until it has rested about 5 minutes, that way all the juices stay in. Hope he likes it.:smooched:
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple! You can do great steaks in a pan. My preference when cooking in a pan is Filet Mignon. Season it simply, salt and pepper is fine, then sear it on very high heat for just a few minutes per side. A cast iron pan is recommended if you have it. Serve with some roasted veggies and a nice sauce over the steak... My favorite is a port wine reduction.

Dang, now I'm hungry!
  • camsamdad
    camsamdad Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok well since you dont have a grill its hard becuase steak is awsome with a little salt and pepper and pour a little beer over it while its grilling on low preferably over mesquite wood.. but since you dont have that you might want to use your george forman grill. and just season with like salt and pepper. put in a skillet some butter and onions and mushrooms and stirfry those up to put on top of the steak... Im not sure about cooking steak on stove top and in the broiler for me it always turns out too tuff.

Note: By Ribeye!! its the best!
    I was worried about it being tuff but I put meat tenderizer on it and it was great
  • msmindylee
    Options
    You're a good sport to cook something for your hubby that you don't want to eat! LOL...

My first and main hint would be to start with good product! My preference is for grass-fed, grass-finished beef, which is leaner and full of great omega-3s. Because of the leanness, it cooks faster than factory-farmed (grain-fed) beef.

I wouldn't recommend using a non-cast-iron skillet, because you can't get the real "sear" you want. I've never used a Foreman grill but I suspect that would be preferable.

Good meat doesn't really need a lot of seasoning, really. Salt and pepper (I use kosher salt and crack the pepper fresh). If you want to put more on there, you might try some garlic powder (?), or even a little bit of ground cumin - that's a strong flavor though.

When you put the meat on the grill, resist the urge to move it around too much! It seems illogical, but if you let it sear for a little bit, it will actually release from the grill by itself more easily (as the fat begins to render). Sear both sides on high heat, then turn the heat down to cook the meat through.

As far as cooking time, that varies a lot... perhaps others will be able to give you more info on that.

Good luck! :smile:
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Best way to cook a steak Ive ever done.

http://whitsamusebouche.com/restaurant-style/
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Steak is best fried, for a couple of minutes max each side, on a high heat. With butter. And pepper.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    The George.Foreman is great for cooking meat!.x
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Season it how you want, but the first thing to
    remember is to let the steak rest after it's
    done cooking. The blood is the sauce.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My grill is out of gas so I cooked one this week that got rave reviews from my family:

I put a 3 pound sirloin steak in my roasting pan
    Poured Moore's seasoning on it
    Sprinkled with garlic pepper

put the lid on the pan and put it in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes, flipped it and did 15 minutes on the other side.

Was moist, delicious, seasoned and tasty:wink:
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This right here ~ its SKILLET steak and onions and mushrooms and its super easy ~ and its from skinnytaste.com so you KNOW it is good... and my family loves this (though I omit the onions when I cook it).

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/08/quick-skillet-steak-with-onions-and.html

And on a side note, your husband will be thrilled that you cooked this for him on his birthday so don't worry about it being "perfect" because I'm sure he knows your intentions.

And ONE MORE THING ~ say you do cook the steak and its still kind of pink inside and you aren't sure how to save it ~ put it in the microwave for a minute at a time until you are sure its where he'd want it to be (usually a shade past pink for well done).
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much to all of you for your replies. Lots of good tips and websites that you referenced!

The reason I want to do it at home instead of going to a restaurant is because I'm a pretty good cook, and I want to make lots of his favorite things (this is his 40th birthday) that I know he prefers to eating out. But he does love a good steak and that's one thing I've never even attempted to do. I think it's going to turn out good (I hope!!).
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Best way to cook a steak Ive ever done.

http://whitsamusebouche.com/restaurant-style/

That sounds amazing. I have done the pan seared\finish in the oven method and it is the best (although I usually grill). That compound butter at the end is to die for! I am so making that sometime soon!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I grew up vegetarian and still eat that way 90% of the time. When I do eat meat, it's usually turkey or chicken and I just learned to cook chicken at home a few years ago.

I am planning to cook my husband a steak dinner for his birthday next week! I have never eaten or cooked a steak in my life so I would love it if someone could give me some basic pointers.

I don't have a grill; I have skillets (not cast-iron), convection oven, and George Foreman indoor grill.

I've talked to various coworkers about the best way to go about this, how to season it, etc, would love input from some of you. Since it's his birthday, cooking it to be a light diet-friendly meal is not necessarily what I'm concerned with, just that it tastes awesome. He doesn't eat it rare or medium-rare when we eat out, so I'd want to cook it to medium-well or well-done.

Assume that I am a moron regarding steak in your replies :tongue:

I would suggest buying the steak from a good steakhouse, It's his bday for god's sake don't ruin it. :laugh: