1200 Calories?!

Options
2»

Replies

• cbelt82
    cbelt82 Posts: 62
    Options
    Did you set your weight loss goal to 2 pounds a week? Looks like you are only trying to lose 15 pounds, try setting MFP goal to 1/2 a pound a week. 2 pounds a week is not reasonable for those with not a lot of weight to lose.

This may sound foolish of me but I'd really like to lose at least 1 pound a week. Slow weight loss un motivates me : (
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Fish!!! It is how I stay around 1000 cals per day....even with 4 days per week of exercising. This is at the suggestion of my doctor....I still have to get over 100g protein in so fish is the best way to get in protein, save some cals, and still feel satisfied!

Feel free to friend me an look at my diary.

Heather
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Did you set your weight loss goal to 2 pounds a week? Looks like you are only trying to lose 15 pounds, try setting MFP goal to 1/2 a pound a week. 2 pounds a week is not reasonable for those with not a lot of weight to lose.

This may sound foolish of me but I'd really like to lose at least 1 pound a week. Slow weight loss un motivates me : (

Yes, but understand that it may be difficult to impossible to lose 1 pound a week as you get closer and closer to your goal. And how much more un-motivating is that, if you are working hard and feeling hungry and don't lose much of anything because you can't create the right calorie deficit.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

With such a small amount to lose, 1 lb a week is NOT slow weight loss, especially if most of that loss is from FAT. Even 0.5 lbs per weeks would be great. What's the rush??

Remember that story about the tortoise and the hare?? The hare is flashy and impressive, fast and cocky, a clear favorite. But the tortoise is slow, steady, patient, and RELENTLESS!! Guess who wins.... :smokin:

Check this out if you want to win the race....http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • cbelt82
    Options
    I guess theres no rush really. Just in this funky phase right now. About to turn 30... Although I'm not overweight this IS the biggest I've ever been... I'm just uncomfortable and want to quickly get out of this phase! hahaha
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I guess theres no rush really. Just in this funky phase right now. About to turn 30... Although I'm not overweight this IS the biggest I've ever been... I'm just uncomfortable and want to quickly get out of this phase! hahaha

I understand that, but you've still got to respect how your body works. :flowerforyou:

I'm 35--you're still a spring chicken--all you've got is time girl.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Instead of concentrating on weight, start to concentrate on fat loss. At your size, it will be much easier to tone (aka cut fat) than have sufficient weight loss. Doing this method, I always suggest measuring inches, taking pictures and getting some bf calipers to measure your body. If you want a lean tight body, you need to cut body fat, not weight. Muscle is what makes you tight and lean. So eating 1200 calories, will only set you up for failure and your body will catabolize your lean body mass and you will maintain your body fat. If anything, eat 20% below your TDEE and do heavy weight training and keep cardio to a minimum (1-2 days).
  • cbelt82
    Options

Instead of concentrating on weight, start to concentrate on fat loss. At your size, it will be much easier to tone (aka cut fat) than have sufficient weight loss. Doing this method, I always suggest measuring inches, taking pictures and getting some bf calipers to measure your body. If you want a lean tight body, you need to cut body fat, not weight. Muscle is what makes you tight and lean. So eating 1200 calories, will only set you up for failure and your body will catabolize your lean body mass and you will maintain your body fat. If anything, eat 20% below your TDEE and do heavy weight training and keep cardio to a minimum (1-2 days).

Thanks! I'm gonna try my best... Can't seem to get myself in a work out routine... I just get lazy I guess... Thats HORRIBLE I know! Everyday I say I'm gonna do something and then I come home and I'm tired and I just relax...blah!
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I found that 1200 calories was just too low for me. It was hard to complete the diet profile since I sit behind a desk during the day but I'm very active as soon as I get home - both with looking after a disabled child and also running 5k 4 times week plus strength training and other cardio. When I checked out my BMR, it said I should be consuming at least 1499 cals per day and that if I'm exercising 6-7 times per week then I'm burning 2284 cals per day. At that point I went and did a manual adjustment to my diet profile on MFP and changed it. Otherwise I'm always over my cals for the day.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I was exactly like you are when I joined last November. Not a lot of weight to lose, but hardly ever exercised. I read on here that you didn't have to exercise to lose weight, just restrict the proper amount of calories. Great, I thought (insert happy face here). Well, it didn't exactly work like that. Now I know that what I need is to get fat % down, not necessarily lose pounds, although that would be a plus. And the only way to do that is with combination of a healthy diet and exercise (insert sad face here). But I sucked it up. I worked on it, then I fell off the wagon a few times. But amazingly, this time back on the wagon, I feel completely different about exercise. It happened suddenly, just one day I woke up feeling like I can't wait to work out. Yeah, I am now one of *those* people.

And, I work out in the morning because I know I won't do it later.