Fitbit....yes or no?

Options
I'm a gadget junkie. ("Hello, my name is Susie and I'm a gadget junkie", is what I should have said. LOL)
I'm looking into getting the Fitbit, but before I jump into buying another gadget, I'd just like to hear from fello MFPer's on if it's worth it or not.
Thanks!

Replies

• RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    LOVE mine!

Because:

1. It really gives me an HONEST answer to how active I am.
    2. It modivates me to become MORE active (Can I take more steps this week vs last week)
    3. Allows me to challenge my friends and see who can take the most steps

The information that you get from it is great! I love the weekly +/- Calories vs plan and the sleep tracker.
  • kimbrlele
    Options
    shameless bump as I am curious also to see how other MFP'ers feel about FITbit before I purchase yet another gadget
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I want one too! I just keep dragging my feet on getting one....
  • Melly1606
    Melly1606 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love, love love my fitbit!!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Yes

It makes the whole weight loss into more of a game for me. Less boring = more accomplishments. Also, what sheetz said.
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    Yeah I loved mine until I lost it. :(

I need to get another. It's a great way to get a baseline for your activity levels, and the sleep measurements were interesting as well.
  • auntsoozaay
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! Ordering now! :)
  • kolraw
    kolraw Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I forgot it one time when I went on a business trip and it drove me nuts not to have it.

It has also been helpful in figuring out my actual TDEE.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you plan on using it to log steps, not things like strength training. I love mine for tracking my miles & steps, but if you'd like an honest account of other non-walking related exercises, look into a HRM (or both as I ended up - HRM for gym, FitBit everyday!)
  • Sweetness023
    Options
    I would suggest reading lots and lots of reviews on different sites like Amazon. I've looked in to it and it looks like the only downfall to the fitbit it's poorly made/cheap plastic that can break easily/over a short period of time. I'm sure obviously there are a bunch of people who can say theirs have been just fine and of course there's always one or two out of the bunch that malfunction. But I would definitely put the effort in to researching before you drop $100 on something like that. I'm still wanting one myself but it'll be a while before I actually do buy one.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Got mine 2 days ago and I am on the fence...BUT FitBit is having technical issues right now so I will no more in a few days.
  • candctaber
    candctaber Posts: 274
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE FITBIT!!
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT 4 and it's awsome i wouldn't buy anything else now and i tryed many different HRM.
  • kolraw
    Options
    Make sure you join the Fitbit group here to get some helpful advice. This is one thing I didn't realize when I first got it.

"One thing that is really important to understand about this integration is that it was designed to easily allow you to use MyFitnessPal to log foods, exercises and water and to use your Fitbit tracker to track your general calories burned, steps and sleep minutes. If you try to use Fitbit to log foods and exercises you will likely see problems with double counted data, etc... "
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit, and since I do circuit training for my strength, with cardio mixed in, I go ahead and use what FitBit says as my calories burned. I love how it syncs with MPF to use my calories burned, and calories eaten, to give me my net number for the day.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Make sure you join the Fitbit group here to get some helpful advice. This is one thing I didn't realize when I first got it.

"One thing that is really important to understand about this integration is that it was designed to easily allow you to use MyFitnessPal to log foods, exercises and water and to use your Fitbit tracker to track your general calories burned, steps and sleep minutes. If you try to use Fitbit to log foods and exercises you will likely see problems with double counted data, etc... "

That's why I just don't log exercise on MFP, and just use it for my calorie tracking.
  • kolraw
    Options
    I would suggest reading lots and lots of reviews on different sites like Amazon. I've looked in to it and it looks like the only downfall to the fitbit it's poorly made/cheap plastic that can break easily/over a short period of time. I'm sure obviously there are a bunch of people who can say theirs have been just fine and of course there's always one or two out of the bunch that malfunction. But I would definitely put the effort in to researching before you drop $100 on something like that. I'm still wanting one myself but it'll be a while before I actually do buy one.

I have had mine for 6 months and I travel with it. I carry mine in a pocket so I don't use the clip that comes with it. I honestly haven't seen any issues. If you are sliding it on and off stuff all the time I can see it breaking (which is why they give you the clip holster).
  • Couponqueenren
    Couponqueenren Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have only had mine for a few weeks but I love it.... right away it became a challenge to hit the goals set for me everyday and a kick in the butt when I don't. I helped me really see that even though I work in an office in front of a computer everyday I can still find ways to move. Like I push my chair away now when my bosses are not there and just do some side steps while I file, answer phones etc... Also I have to go down the hall to the ladies room and go by a flight of stairs, so now I go down and up before and after going into the ladies room. It only takes a few extra minutes out of my day. So I think it is worth it.

That being said I don't think it accurately measures my calories burned when I work out, so I have ordered a heart rate monitor, I think the combination of both will make me a very happy camper.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yeah I loved mine until I lost it. :(

I need to get another. It's a great way to get a baseline for your activity levels, and the sleep measurements were interesting as well.

I lost mine, too... so I emailed Fitbit and they sent me a replacement right away at no charge! My friend broke her's (snapped it right in half) and guess what? They sent her a new one, as well!
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    YES YES YES love it!