Is Cheese that bad for you?

Options

Replies

• michspor
    michspor Posts: 57
    Options
    I grew up in Wisconsin so I LOVE cheese and won't give it up completely. But, I won't buy the crap that they sell in the grocery store either. I actually go to a cheese shop (when I go back to WI to visit family) and try the cheese and ask for the nutrient values of them. I have found some great, naturally low fat cheese (some are high on sodium) that I use. Now that I don't live there anymore, I just have them ship the cheese to me and I freeze it in smaller chunks.

Oh..My.. GOD! There is a CHEESE SHOP!!!!! Oh.. My... GOD!!!!! That must be where God lives!!!!!!!! What could be more awesome than a cheese shop?! I feel like I must now make a pilgrimage to Wisconsin in search of the sacred cheese shop!

hahahahahah that is what I was thinking! Never heard of this! i would love to visit it!
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Cheese is high in calories (about 100 per ounce, on average) and fat (6 to 9 grams per ounce, most of which is saturated), and it often contains a lot of sodium. Still, small amounts can fit into most people’s diets.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I love cheese, but it is very calorie-dense. I find it's best to go with very sharp, flavorful cheeses. A small cube of aged gouda is a lot more satisfying than a block of jack.
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If cheese is bad for you then I don't want to be good. I eat some form of cheese EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

My bloodwork has been fine for years, and if it's interfered with my weight loss I certainly can't tell.
    [/quote]

^^This
  • irlyn89
    irlyn89 Posts: 4
    Options
    The only reason dietitians say cheese is unhealthy is because of the saturated fat content. But I love cheese, and eat it every day, sometimes several times a day, and my cholesterol is still normal. So to each their own.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i wuv cheese :):)
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    If cheese is wrong, I don't want to be right! :heart:

Cheese is the food of the gods, I eat less now, and better quality but it is awesome!
  • cattraxs
    cattraxs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Life without cheese will not work for me, neither will life without potatoes. I believe that as long as you're using moderation and staying within your calorie goals, you should be able to eat some of the things that you want to eat...

^^ditto, that^^
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Aside from those of us who CAN'T eat it, I don't see anything wrong with cheese, I miss it like crazy.

HOWEVER

When I say Cheese, I mean ACTUAL cheese, not processed crap that is made from a little dairy and a lot of chemicals.

An important distinction. I've been re-evaluating what passes for "cheese" in our house and I'm pretty if it says "cheese food".....it's not really cheese at all.
  • DantiaX
    DantiaX Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cheese because I'm somewhat lactose intolerant. I gave up dairy altogether. Now, that being said, I started my weight-loss journey with other people and my husband and I have lost more weight more quickly giving up dairy and cutting back on fatty meats than the people around us. So you might try cutting back and eating fat free/low fat dairy items. White cheese, like mozzarella, is supposed to be good. I think, like some others have said, it's a very personal choice. The most important thing is not to layer everything in lots and lots of processed cheese. Good luck!=)
  • cattraxs
    cattraxs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Wisconsin so I LOVE cheese and won't give it up completely. But, I won't buy the crap that they sell in the grocery store either. I actually go to a cheese shop (when I go back to WI to visit family) and try the cheese and ask for the nutrient values of them. I have found some great, naturally low fat cheese (some are high on sodium) that I use. Now that I don't live there anymore, I just have them ship the cheese to me and I freeze it in smaller chunks.

Oh..My.. GOD! There is a CHEESE SHOP!!!!! Oh.. My... GOD!!!!! That must be where God lives!!!!!!!! What could be more awesome than a cheese shop?! I feel like I must now make a pilgrimage to Wisconsin in search of the sacred cheese shop!

hahahahahah that is what I was thinking! Never heard of this! i would love to visit it!

For those who live closer to Oregon; Tillamook Cheese Factory (in, of all place, Tillamook, OR) has a cheese shop and sells curds (yummy in small doses)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Being from Wisconsin, I grew up putting cheese on *almost* everything and still do. A burger is not right without cheese. A salad? Needs cheese. I also don't really use any salad dressings so cheese is my flavoring agent.

And I never buy those kraft singles or spray cheese. It is always "real" so to speak.

It's like anything else, watch your serving size. I eat Sargento string cheese for a snack a few times a week. I use feta on saldas, eggs and pitas. I use shredded cheese in burritos and on hot dogs. Sliced cheese on burgers and sandwhiches.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

LOL I always have to get Westby Cheese Curds when I go back to Wisconsin. And if my parents are coming here, I make them bring me some. I also miss the cottage cheese made in Wisconsin, so much better than anything I've ever found here. Mmmmmm kemps cottage cheese. *drools*
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    If cheese is bad for you then I don't want to be good. I eat some form of cheese EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

My bloodwork has been fine for years, and if it's interfered with my weight loss I certainly can't tell.

Ditto.

Ditto x 2. I eat cheese every day. Love it.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I live in Wisconsin, I eat cheese, stop stereotyping!

I only buy the cheese that is from the factory, not kraft or stuff like that and not shredded cheese, blocks that are made in Wisconsin.

Cheese, Crackers.. its all good to get the calories up to meet your goal.
  • hunnins
    hunnins Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Ditto.
    Me too. I eat either a slice of american in my turkey sandwich, or I sprinkle italian shreds on my eggs or omelette. I cannot imagine not eating cheese.

Ive switched to parmesan and lite cheeses just to keep it in my meals.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure this out in my head. When I was a kid, I remember being taught in school that cheese was made from milk and good for you. Fast forward a couple decades and it sounds/feels like we have a sodium epidemic that's so bad that children are being put on blood pressure lowering medications. And Cheese is now evil.

Now that you're on MFP, is this something you've cut back on? If not, what healthy cheeses are you using in your food?

My omelets have suffered from lack of cheddar. I can use some suggestions.

Eat some cheese! If you aren't lactose intolerant, I don't see any reason to cut it out. I love good, flavorful cheeses, and really don't care for any reduced fat cheeses. I can eat the 2% milk shredded cheeses in dishes, so if you are looking to use less calories, try the Kraft 2% sharp cheddar in your omelette.

On another post, I just shared that my family has gone through almost 2 lbs of cheddar cheese in the past 2 weeks, but it's probably more than that. We've gone through an almost 2 lb block as well as probably another 8 oz of shredded cheese. It's mostly just me and my 2 DD eating it. Youngest DD doesn't really care for any meats, so she has at least 1-2 oz of cheese a day, I have about 1-3 oz most days (sometimes more, rarely less), and my oldest DD has an ounce or two most days.

I make room for the calories by not eating as many bread products, for the most part. Sometimes I'll have a little less meat so I can have cheese, but I'd rather have a taco salad with 4 oz meat and an ounce or two of cheese than 3 tacos with little cheese.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    I had some melted gouda on crusty sourdough yesterday. I couldn't completely give up cheese, just like I couldn't completely give up bread, pasta or chocolate. If it fits I eat it (and truth be told, sometimes if it doesn't fit, I'll still eat it - occasional treat!)
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If eaten in moderation it's definitely not bad for you. It's a good source of calcium and protein but is still high in calories and saturated fat. One ounce of cheddar has 113 calories 9.3 gms of fat (5.9 saturated) so it can add up quickly if you pile it on

Personally I find triple cream brie or camembert to be one of life's great pleasures
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese as I'm vegetarian and because I don't like tea/coffee I don't have much milk; the calcium is therefore much needed. Obviously I weigh it and watch my overall fat intake.