Who's done TAE KWON DO????

Options
I took my first Tae Kwon Do class today, so excited to be adding to my fitness regimen!! I started my 4 year old son this week and I've always like martial arts so I decided to give it a try!!! Who else has tried martial arts?!?!?! Feel free to friend me as well!!! Always looking to add new friends :-)

Replies

• Cdposey26
    Cdposey26 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had started taking it and quit over the summer, but I am looking forward to starting back up. My two oldest sons take it still and started with them. I am a green belt and should have stuck with it, but I tried crossfit and hurt my back on the second day and stopped taekwondo while I healed up. I really recommend it, its great workouts that to mean don't seem like work outs, great for flexibility. Good luck and have fun
  • KimInsanityP
    Options
    Thanks!
  • karbar75
    karbar75 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just saw this post. I started TKD in April after my 2 daughters started it in March.. we're all orange belts now and will be testing for green in October. I love it! I did it when I was younger and then again just after college but never really stuck with it long enough to progress beyond a blue belt. Hopefully this is the time I'll stick with it for the long haul! So glad you enjoy it too!
  • alexandra0713
    alexandra0713 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently doing them, but I use to train muay thai and jiu jitsu. Absolutely loved it:-)
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Just saw this post and sent you a FR. My 12 yr old is a black belt. I'm currently at blue. Love it!! TKD is actually the reason I am here. I'm looking to get into better shape and add strength so I can make the most out of class.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Have done for 4 years, and LOVE it!!!
  • LRH64
    LRH64 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Fr sent...have been doing TKD for six years. Started taking my son when he was in second grade. Then my husband and I decided to do it together. He will test for his black belt next May and I am a 2nd degree black and an instructor too! I love it and any other exercise I do Is so my TKD gets better.
  • lambjoo
    lambjoo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Started taking it 5 years ago when my youngest son insisted on it......now my 2 sons and I are all black belts! We are currently working on our 2nd degree black belts and instructors stripe! It is by far the best thing I have ever done far myself and my two sons (20yrs and 14 yrs old) love to brag about their "cool" Mom who is a black belt. :laugh: It definitely helps you stay in shape!
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't do TKD, but I have my 4 1/2 yr old daughter doing it. She's currently in the Tiny Tiger program because of her age and her belt is white with an organge stripe. She'll recieve her yellow stripe next month. I love paying attention to what they do in their class so that we can practice at home. I'm living my dream of doing TKD through her I guess. Can't wait for her to move up to weapons. I LOVE the nunchucks. My stepdad taught himself how to use the nunchucks and growing up, I used to just sit and watch him.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I've never done TKD. I'm a muay Thai and BJJ practitioner, as well as Judo and wrestling.I don't test for belts, as I don't really care for them. I fight in shorts, so no one cares what belt I am when I get in the cage.

That being said, I love sparring against TKD guys. Their kicks are very unorthodox from a muay Thai perspective and keep me on my toes. Too bad their striking technique isn't as good ;)
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I love TKD, good to hear you enjoy it too, I'll send you a FR.
  • KimInsanityP
    Options
    Am I going to be pulling muscles for the first few months no matter how much we warm up, stretch and cool down? :laugh:
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Am I going to be pulling muscles for the first few months no matter how much we warm up, stretch and cool down? :laugh:

You shouldn't be! Don't push yourself too hard..ease your body into it!
    Options
    I've been involved in several arts over the years (American Karate, Isshin-ryu, Kuk Sool) but just started at a TKD school an old friend of mine opened. I'm hoping it will assist me with getting my flexibility and strength back, as I've been inactive in any art for an extended period due to an injury. l'll likely be picking up some BJJ once I'm confident my knee won't be an issue.
  • x_JT_x
    Options

You shouldn't be! Don't push yourself too hard..ease your body into it!

Ditto, nope you shouldn't be. Sounds like you might benefit from having your instructor take a look at your form. Very frustrating though :(.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Mudokwan for little over ten years and great way to tone and keep in shape.........just couldn't keep up with travel schedule but would go back in a second if I had the time
  • karbar75
    karbar75 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just saw the other posters on this thread and if you don't mind.. I'm sending friend requests. I'd love to have people with similar interests along for my fitness journey, if you don't mind.. :)
  • x_JT_x
    Options
    Just saw the other posters on this thread and if you don't mind.. I'm sending friend requests. I'd love to have people with similar interests along for my fitness journey, if you don't mind.. :)

I for one don't mind at all. The more the merrier! :)
    Options

Agreed. I'm open for friends with similar interests as well.
  • Sassy88
    Sassy88 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did about 10 weeks at the Y and I loved it! The discipline and everything it gives you. It's awesome!