Scrapple

Options

Replies

• Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the Liverwurst stuff. Isn't that head cheese? And I had no idea head actually meant they used the head lol. So glad I don't eat meat but I'm sure others love the stuff. I know my mom use to like Liverwurst sandwiches on white bread with mayo which is probably a heart attack waiting to happen. I made her stop eating that $**** a year ago.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Philly represent YO!

I need some soft pretzels from a homeless guy on the corner now. 5 for $1
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Thank you ... I just vomited my lunch
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Options
    Head cheese? WTF is head cheese?!?!?!?

Head cheese (AmE), or brawn (BrE), is a cold cut that originated in Europe. A version pickled with vinegar is known as souse. Head cheese is not a cheese but a terrine or meat jelly made with flesh from the head of a calf or pig (sometimes a sheep or cow), and often set in aspic. Which parts of the head are used can vary, but the brain, eyes, and ears are usually removed. The tongue, and sometimes even the feet and heart, may be included.
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    So, it's Spam?
    ]

Nope! TWENTY TIMES better!
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Well, I just lost my appetite.

And I'm kinda wishing I hadn't just ate.
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    071174000066.jpg

It's a yummy heart attack in the making, but SO good on toast with egg!

edit: Tastes nothing like SPAM. Its a unique flavor. I can't compare it to anything.

Haven't had that in sooooooooooo long!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    shhh. dont ask. just eat it. its absolutely delicious!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Heard about this for the first time in an episode of Chopped on Food Network. It looked pretty gross.
  • aries7298
    aries7298 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Its really good. My family loves it... my husband loves it fried really crispy, my boys love it any way.... scrambled in eggs is also very good. :happy: it is usually better if you try it before you know what's in it. HAHA!
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    nothing like spam
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    That description of head cheese totally made my stomach turn. :sick: My son loves scrapple. My daughter and I won't touch it.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Options
    Oh and here is Liverwurst for you as well.

The German Leberwurst (anglicized as liverwurst), that translates literally as "liver sausage," is the typical sausage served in Germany, Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia, the Netherlands, Finland, Sweden, Norway and Romania (especially in Transylvania).

Most liverwurst varieties are spreadable. Liverwurst normally contains pigs' livers, rather than calves' livers and also contains veal. Only about 10–20% of the sausage is actually made using pork liver, which is enough to give it a distinctive liver-taste. Other ingredients are meat, fat, and spices including ground black pepper, marjoram, allspice, thyme, ground mustard seed, or nutmeg. Many regions in Germany have distinct recipes for liverwurst. Adding ingredients like pieces of onion or bacon to the recipe make each variety of liverwurst very important to cultural identity. For example, the Thüringer Leberwurst has a Protected Geographical Status throughout the EU. Recently, more exotic additions such as cowberries and mushrooms have gained popularity
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Head cheese? WTF is head cheese?!?!?!?

Head cheese (AmE), or brawn (BrE), is a cold cut that originated in Europe. A version pickled with vinegar is known as souse. Head cheese is not a cheese but a terrine or meat jelly made with flesh from the head of a calf or pig (sometimes a sheep or cow), and often set in aspic. Which parts of the head are used can vary, but the brain, eyes, and ears are usually removed. The tongue, and sometimes even the feet and heart, may be included.

And you have just returned the favor....vomit
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm at my desk LMAO! :laugh: You guys are hilarious, but I must admit I like scrapple but scrapple don't like me. My grandparents would flour & pan fry it by the slice or sautee it with onions, served with scrambled cheese eggs and grits. Rapa was THE brand back in the day but nowadays they've done so many things with the ingrediants my stomach can't hadle it. It puts me in the mind of pate' (taste wise) and polenta (in texture).
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    That description of head cheese totally made my stomach turn. :sick:

My dad made head cheese growing up on a farm in 1940's...hearing the actual blow by blow is 100x worse. The word congeal is used a lot.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    It's really nothing like Spam at all.

There's nothing quite like Scrapple...it's definitely a Philadelphia-area delicacy.

Chopped up pig parts (all but the tails and the snouts) and oooooh, so delicious!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    scrapple and head cheese are just like hot dogs. Hot dogs just look edible.
    Another disgusting food my dad loved, jellied pigs feet.
  • jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Scrapple is Bacon's second cousin - delicious...and so bad for you!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Options
    scrapple and head cheese are just like hot dogs. Hot dogs just look edible.
    Another disgusting food my dad loved, jellied pigs feet.

My family prefers their pigs feet pickled.