My quick rant about my YMCA

Options

Replies

• pen_thief
    pen_thief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd care to have an overweight fitness instructor either. We don't appreciate when hairstylists have crappy hair and dentists have a mouth full of rotten teeth. It's the same thing, really. I want to see that the class actually makes an impact, you know?

I thought about joining my local Y when I hit my halfway point, as I just can't tolerate being around many people right now when I'm in my workout clothes - or eek! a bathing suit. But if it's as expensive at my Y as it is at yours I might reconsider. That's really steep, jeez.

Thank you! That's how I feel. The person above you called me shallow, but I don't care, it's how I feel. I would just immediately lose motivation if an overweight person was training me. Just like you said, I wouldn't let someone do my hair who has bad hair or anything else along those lines. I feel like in certain professions you have an image to uphold.

For all you know the overweight trainer may have been morbidly obese at some point in his or her life and may have a great deal of insight to share with you.

It's the pre-judging based solely on appearance that's shallow (yeah, I wouldn't go to an accountant who had just been released from prison for tax fraud.....I understand the analogy) and a bit surprising coming from someone wanting to lose weight.

There's a difference between working out with heavy friends for support and then expecting the general public to pay monthly to take your class and look to you for guidance. I can't imagine having the gall to sign up to teach a fitness class right now. I should be the one taking the class, and then maybe I can think about teaching. Who am I to set an example for you when I can't even get my own weight problem tackled?

Notice on Intervention it's always former drug addicts who offer advice, not those still struggling. Knowing it's possible because someone else has done it is what inspires someone. Anyone who frequents the Success Stories forums can likely relate. I don't agree with people still battling a problem to be in leadership position. Support, yes - leadership, no. I was in a group called TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) and our meeting leader was about 120lbs overweight. She never lost the weight, put on about 50 more since the group disbanded and just had a gastric bypass. While she was a great person, I was never inspired by her or motivated at all. Meanwhile, there were people in the group who had lost their weight and kept it off and could have set a much better example. To me, it was a no-brainer who should have been our leader, but because more and more of us are heavy these days and it's becoming a taboo thing to be honest with each other, that group didn't make it very long.

I'm not talking about people with thyroid issues or legit hormonal problems, I'm talking about people getting paid to not practice what they preach - the blind leading the blind, in other words.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Talk about a bunch of fat people being judgemental against fat people.

An overweight trainer may be on their personal journey of weight loss and haven't reached their goal yet. And some overweight people will feel better about someone who is going through the same issues they are AND maybe not feel bad cause they not the fattest person in the room. If you don't like a class or instructor don't go. There's several classes I've gone to and not gone again because I didn't like the trainer and not based on LOOKS but based on the fact I didn't like how they trained. Mostly they didn't push hard enough and they have always been "thin".

I've lost 260 lbs and when I'm in class I can out zumba, out mixed martial arts, and out body pump 1/2 of the skinny minnies that take those classes because when I'm in class I bust my butt. I put 100% effort in, I work out hard and watch my form. Put me on the treadmill or elliptical next to the same skinny girls and I will hit it harder and longer than they can dream of.. I had one next to me the other day who had the elliptical on level 2 and seemed to barely be moving. After 20 min she was done. I do a minimum of 60 minutes at level 11 and I go fast - thats how I burn 800+ calories in an hour. Because I'm still 75 lbs away from goal... I'm actually still considered obese.

As for sitting and talking .... give the seniors a break and some credit. They are out there doing it and deserve props. Again it wasn't what you expected, oh well. Life is full of disappointments, move on. Especially if you don't like your gym. A 15 minute drive is nothing. I used to drive 30 minutes to get to the gym I liked even though there were several closer. Its all about committment and effort.
  • jmoney34
    jmoney34 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that overweight people aren't physically fit. For me, it's a psychological thing. And when I say "overweight" I think you're all thinking I'm saying these trainers are only fit to be trainers if they're a size 0--that's NOT what I'm saying. But when some woman with a giant gut is teaching a class I paid for and I'm not even close to breaking a sweat or feeling like the class is doing something for me, it's annoying. Then I have to stay at the gym for another hour to get an actual workout on my own. I'm well aware that people can be out of shape and still be knowledgeable about exercise and nutrition, but it's just offputting when they don't "walk the walk and talk the talk" like other people mentioned. If I'm paying someone to teach me how to be healthier, I'd lik to at least see some muscle definition instead of fat.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    ummmm.....not everyone here is "fat" and not everyone who hires a trainer is trying to lose weight.

This is a FITNESS site, not just weight loss.
  • TeeTee622
    Options
    I go to a colds for 24 a month and am very happy with everything. The biggest plus is the classes.
  • jmoney34
    Options
    ummmm.....not everyone here is "fat" and not everyone who hires a trainer is trying to lose weight.

This is a FITNESS site, not just weight loss.

Thank you, exactly what I was thinking! I'm well in the healthy weight range for my height.
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You have to find what's best for you. You also have to understand that the Y is more than a gym. The YMCA is a nonprofit, and has a mission statement. They provide community programs - each area is different depending on what the community needs. They provide membership assistance, childcare (usually for free), summer lunch programs, after school programs, youth sports, nutrition classes.... the list goes on and on. I'm a huge believer in the Y because it impacts my entire family and my entire community. If you're not interested in this, and only want a gym, then yes, perhaps it's time to move on. You have to find the right place for you. Each Y is different and unique, yet each is trying to fulfill the YMCA mission to the best of their abilities.

As for overweight instructors...cut them some slack. We all had to start somewhere, and sometimes it's intimidating to people starting out on their fitness journey to take classes with super in-shape-can-crush-you-with-my-thigh instructors. It's important for people to understand that no matter what their fitness level is, there's a place for them. Maybe the class you took isn't for you. Have you talked to anyone at the Y about it - like the program manager? They might be helpful in finding a class or trainer that is right for you. They want you to succeed. And if it bothers you that much, why not look into teaching a class yourself? Instructors at the Y usually get a discount or free membership.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I guess some would just call Mark Rippetoe a fat *kitten* too...

Mark_Rippetoe.jpg

Look at this guy. Clearly could not train anyone. Ever.
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love my ymca, but I can see how someone without kids would think it was a rip. For our 56$ per month I get 2 hours of free childcare/day and one night a month of free babysitting. We get discounts on the kids' sports. They have a nice pool. We can go to other y's in the area without charge. I am also loving their cardio movie theatre.
    Our ymca is very clean and the instructors go out of their way to help you out. I'm sorry for your bad experience. I would probably go to the one 15 minutes away.
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Not getting a good workout by a trainer/instructor is ridiculous. But that has nothing to do with the size or shape of the instructor/trainer. Some of the most intense, powerful workouts I've ever had were taught by "overweight" people. One was a TRX class, and one was a Barre 3 class. Holy mother, those workouts kicked my freakin' *kitten*, they were awesome. On the other hand, I've had some very "fit" LOOKING instructors who couldn't teach/train/instruct for ****. Half the people in the class were doing the moves wrong b/c the "instructor" couldn't figure out how to properly explain and/or demonstrate (and couldn't be bothered to stop looking at themselves in the mirror long enough to provide some one-on-one help), and the class was such a wimpified bs class that I didn't even break a sweat. So, no, it's not worth it to take a class from someone who can't actually teach it, but wtf does that have to do with their size. Whether they're 120 lbs or 220 lbs, if they can't teach, they can't teach.
  • jmoney34
    Options

Mark_Rippetoe.jpg

He is much less overweight than some of the trainers and instructors at the Y. In fact, I don't even think he looks bad.
  • doniwat
    doniwat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    VERY nicely stated, rachelmorgan7. I'm going to echo your comments. Until recently, I had no idea how much our Y provides ... including scholarships for individuals and families who cannot afford the entire membership fee. I feel good knowing I not only have access to a wide range of equipment, racquetball courts, swimming pool, free weights, weight machines, an indoor walking track and a fairly extensive list of "free" classes ... but my membership fees also help others join the Y who otherwise may not have been able to afford joining. In the long run, I'm helping not only myself, but our community, as well.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The YMCA is te cheapest full service gym in my city and I love it there. The equipment is all pristine and the trainers know what they're doing. I pay $58/month and my boyfriend paid for his in full for the year, but it would have been $83/month because he has the premium membership that gets you silly towel service.
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that overweight people aren't physically fit. For me, it's a psychological thing. And when I say "overweight" I think you're all thinking I'm saying these trainers are only fit to be trainers if they're a size 0--that's NOT what I'm saying. But when some woman with a giant gut is teaching a class I paid for and I'm not even close to breaking a sweat or feeling like the class is doing something for me, it's annoying. Then I have to stay at the gym for another hour to get an actual workout on my own. I'm well aware that people can be out of shape and still be knowledgeable about exercise and nutrition, but it's just offputting when they don't "walk the walk and talk the talk" like other people mentioned. If I'm paying someone to teach me how to be healthier, I'd lik to at least see some muscle definition instead of fat.

Then that's just a ****ty trainer.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I see that the OP is quite young and obviously very inexperienced in expressing herself thoroughly. Therefore, I don't think OP really meant to be as shallow as the rant portrays.

This could be a good lesson for her. But she made it quite obvious that fitness is "subjective".....lol
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Wow really? I went to a core class the other day with a woman who had arm wings. She actually has a super strong core, I didn't even care about her arm wings halfway through the class. Your comment makes me never want to even try to be a Zumba instructor because I will never be "skinny".
    Hey, my bellydance teacher (ok its not Zumba) was 5'2" or so and probably around 200lbs. She may have looked a bit more than chubby in Street clothes, but once that woman was dancing, no way would anyone call her fat. And once you'd try to imitate those 'effortless' movements, you'd know she's definitely not out of shape...

As for the Y, dunno, I can't afford it at the time, was thinking of just going there for swimming, but that can cost almost as much as a membership if you plan on going twice a week @ $5 apiece...
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Sorry in advance if I offend anyone, because I probably will.

I work out at the YMCA in my town because I love that they have everything all under one roof (cardio, weights, track, basketball, pool, racquetball/handball, and classes). I used to pay $30/mo at Snap Fitness but was so bored with the cardio machines and tiny weight area that I joined the Y for $52/month (couples membership w/ my bf otherwise it's $63 for a single person) PLUS an enrollment fee. I can't believe how expensive it is. I know there is a lot included, but it just seems like so much. I know I could do their scholarship program and get my rates reduced because I am a broke student, but I *can* afford it, it's just a lot!!! I'd hate to take that scholarship money away from someone who really can't afford the gym.

There are also SEVERAL personal trainers and class instructors there that are overweight. I'm sorry, but if I paid money for a personal trainer (it's very expensive on top of your membership) and they were fat, I'd be PISSED! I just don't think it looks good to have overweight people teaching diet and exercise. I also paid EXTRA for a pilates reformer class that I thought would really help me. Well my instructor was overweight and everyone in the class was about 65 or older and I felt like I literally paid to sit and talk. I got absolutely nothing out of this class that I was very excited for and had to pay even more than my $52/mo for.

I found out from a friend who lives about 20 minutes away that her gym used to be a Golds Gym but now has changed its name but has all the same equipment (same things at the Y except better and newer). Guess what she pays (and her trainers and instructors are actually in shape)? $21/month!! I pay over half that for the same exact stuff!!! I was going to switch to her gym but because it's about 15 minutes away from me and I go to the gym 7 days a week most weeks, I'd pay way more than I pay now because of gas! :( I cannot wait to move closer to her in a few months so I can join that gym!

That's my rant! :)

I would not go to a YMCA gym even if it was free.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    when i signed up at my ymca i had just been laid off so i was able to get in at the lowest end of the sliding scale - which was $38/mo. the high end is like $65. The rates go up every year so now i am paying around $45. keep in mind i am still at the lowest end of the scale. i am constantly amazed that it is this expensive. why do i go? it's close to my house. when i joined the machines and building were brand new. the cardio equipment has LCD tv screens. now the equipment is showing some wear. i'm not sure i'm going to continue there.

that and all the damn kids jacking around on the machines and cardio equipment. drives me nuts. i don't think your 9 year old child needs to be ****ing around on the weight machines while you read a magazine and walk on the treadmill or whatever.

anyway - sorry for the rant.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    when i signed up at my ymca i had just been laid off so i was able to get in at the lowest end of the sliding scale - which was $38/mo. the high end is like $65. The rates go up every year so now i am paying around $45. keep in mind i am still at the lowest end of the scale. i am constantly amazed that it is this expensive. why do i go? it's close to my house. when i joined the machines and building were brand new. the cardio equipment has LCD tv screens. now the equipment is showing some wear. i'm not sure i'm going to continue there.

that and all the damn kids jacking around on the machines and cardio equipment. drives me nuts. i don't think your 9 year old child needs to be ****ing around on the weight machines while you read a magazine and walk on the treadmill or whatever.

anyway - sorry for the rant.

Darn I pay like 35 in LA Fitness. THen I pay another 5 for open club to lift anywhere in the US.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Mark_Rippetoe.jpg

He is much less overweight than some of the trainers and instructors at the Y. In fact, I don't even think he looks bad.

I've been loosely following this thread all day and I'm not sure why Rippetoe keeps getting brought into it. He's a STRENGTH coach. Not a fitness coach. Not an aerobics instructor. If I wanted to be a powerlifter or Olympic competitor, he's the type of guy I'd be looking for. If I was taking a spin class and Ripp showed up to lead it, I'd have second thoughts. If I was trying to enter bodybuilding or fitness competitions, Ripp's resume is NOT what I'd be looking for. He's at the top of his game...in *his* game. The OP (who should stop complaining and just drive the 15 whole minutes to AwesomeGym, seriously) isn't looking to be a powerlifter, and if Ripp is leading her marathon training class she'd have a right to be suspicious.

All that isn't to say that a person with an ideal bodytype is any more or less knowledgeable than a person with some meat on their bones. We know that isn't the case. But we all prejudge people in one fashion or another so it's not like it's some wild and crazy idea to want your fitness trainer to be fit, just like I don't want my accountant to be under investigation for tax fraud, or my Dr. to be a hacky coughed chain smoker.