Unprocessed lunch ideas that are EASY!

Options
Hi all,

Can you please help me with knocking out the processed foods in my diet,,, Can someone please tell me some quick and simple clean lunch ideas that will get me through my day!

How clean is chicken in a can? Baked beans? and quick rice? are these all a no go?

thanks in advance

Replies

• sweetd_cali
    sweetd_cali Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've been putting together salads the night before and popping them in the fridge for lunch at work. All sorts of options here - spring mix lettuce, tomatoes, beans, and your choice of protein with lemon vinaigrette.
  • sarahroseconroy
    sarahroseconroy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Nice ideas do you have any meat in the salad? I know that some deli meats can be processed, I was eating Subway salads but have been told the meats are very processed!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Your best bet would probably be to grill/broil several chicken breasts up at the beginning of the week and then take those for lunches. You could add them to salads, eat with mustard, etc
  • ox45
    ox45 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday when I shop I buy the bulk chicken breast packs for 1.99/lb (check BJ's, ALDI, Sav-a-lot). Cook up all 5lbs at once, cut up into pieces, and put it into the fridge. You can use it for almost anything, salads, pasta, chicken salad, stir-fry, etc. It only takes about 20 mins a week to do this.
  • DargoMack
    DargoMack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Do you like beans? You could cook dried beans and then put those on top. I love garbanzo and black beans on a salad.

Or, like someone else mentioned - grill a family pack of chicken breasts on the weekend for use all week.

Not sure what quick rice is, but if it's flavored Uncle Bens in a bag, I would check the sodiumn content first.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree with the chicken idea. I just started doing that this week myself. Much better than frozen dinners. Also I bought frozen veggies (i like the spring mix with zuchinni, squash, brocolli, and carrots). I toss some of that (still frozen) in a tupperware and shake on some garlic powder), then at lunch time I nuke in the microwave for about 45 seconds and it's a nice side dish to the chicken. good luck! :)
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you're grilling chicken breasts already throw some salmon on there too. After their cooked, keep them in the fridge and grab them as you need them. Once their cooked they'll keep for 4 or even 5 days in the fridge. I'll keep what I can eat in the next couple days in the fridge and freeze the rest to eat the next week. I like throwing some hickery chips on the coals too. Lots of extra flavor and no calories.
  • cbear311
    cbear311 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do the bulk grilled chicken too...and it's made staying in my calorie allowance and sticking to a healthier diet SO much easier!
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    Do you like eggs? What about boiling some eggs to go with salad? I love adding some fruit and/or nuts to my salad as well, just for a little something different. I personally don't like dressing.

Chicken is great. I don't think there is anything wrong with baked beans or canned beans, although dried are cheaper (I usually have both in my cupboard).

Do you like fish? Tuna/salmon?

Sometimes I'll cook up some lean beef strips with onions, capsicum and spices and serves with salad and wraps and some cheese if you wish.. kind of like a very basic fajita.
  • ellebish
    ellebish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do batch cooking once a week specifically for lunches, I cook a tray of chicken breast, sometimes a beef roast so that it can be used for sandwiches and salads. And also always have salad fixings on hand, it makes it much easier to make lunch when you have healthy options available.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I make rice and noodles at the beginning of every week. I make 3-4 servings of each and just keep 'em in the fridge for fast eating!
  • sweetd_cali
    Options
    Nice ideas do you have any meat in the salad? I know that some deli meats can be processed, I was eating Subway salads but have been told the meats are very processed!

Like other posters I'll cook up a batch of chicken on the weekend, shred it and put into invidual portion bags. I also do salmon or shrimp (cook night before & cool) or tuna or salmon in to-go pouches from the grocery. Another idea for protein is hard boiled eggs.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I try to cook extra servings at night, so that I can pack the leftovers for lunch. Also, I love soup for lunch. You can fill the crockpot up and cook one day and then fill them in single serving containers before freezing. and then in the mornings on your way out the door all you have to do is grab and go.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I sometimes cook homemade soups the night before

Salads mixed with fresh cooked meats or a boiled egg and cottage cheese

Homemade omelette with loads of veggies and a side salad

Jacket potatoes
  • sweetd_cali
    Options
    I try to cook extra servings at night, so that I can pack the leftovers for lunch. Also, I love soup for lunch. You can fill the crockpot up and cook one day and then fill them in single serving containers before freezing. and then in the mornings on your way out the door all you have to do is grab and go.

Yes, that's what works for me too. Soups are easy to microwave at work.