Breast Feeding, need nutrition help.

Options
I am having a really hard time balancing my fat and protein while meeting a healthy net calorie. Due to breast feeding, I need a higher calorie and fat intake. I am eating a lot of junk and my protein intake is suffering.

Does anyone have healthy high fat, high calorie, high protein foods or recipes they can suggest, besides Avocado?

I am really at a loss and my appointment with the nutritionist isn't for 3 weeks.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Can you eat dairy? High fat dairy is an easy solution. Cheese, whole fat greek yogurt, milk, protein shakes made with whole milk, REAL cream in coffee (if you still drink it, I drank a cup a day).

Almonds, nuts, dark meat chicken with skin, red meat, etc.
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What do you like to eat? I am nursing a baby right now and have no problem reaching my 2200 calories, high fat and high protein diet. I am big into healthy fat (we have a milk cow so do good butter plus lots of coconut oil), and I have protein 2x a day in the form of meat usually. Lots of dairy and such.
    My regular day is a yogurt, milk, bluberry, strawbery coconut oil smoothie. Sometimes some soaked or baked oatmeal if I am especially hungry. Before lunch I have some more coconut oil and 2-3 eggs, 1 strip home made side pork bacon (no nitrates or sugar) or some homemade sausage (we raise all our own meat so I am very happy with the source), a sprinkle of cheese, a bit of avacado, a big slice of tomato and a cup of tea. Supper would be a bunless burger, cucumber, tomato, cheese and a lettuce salad or a chicken salad with feta, cucumber, tomato, homemade balsamic dressing, or zucchini soup, or maybe a cucumber sandwhich or something. That gets me between 100-140 carbs, 150 ish protein and 90-130 fat. I am very happy and if I was not trying to lose some weight I would up my intake as I am losing 3lbs per week eating like this :) I never watch fat and as long as I am in calorie and carb wise I am good with the fat and protein.
    HEather
    Heather
  • liannecatherine
    liannecatherine Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How about greek yogurt? It's hard to find in full-fat, but is a great source of all kinds of things like fat and protein. Other recommendations, walnuts/almonds, cheese, olive oil, cottage cheese, etc.

I'm also breastfeeding and have unfortunately killed my supply dieting. Luckily, we're weaning so it's not a big deal--but you may not be so be careful and try not to lose more than 1lb a week!

Good luck!
  • mfunderburgh
    mfunderburgh Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Nuts, egg whites, cottage cheese, protein shakes, nut butters
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I always prepare for breast feeding by eating less fats, so the breast milk I consume keeps me within my macro targets.

Almonds, just 1 oz is 170 cal, 15g healthy fats, 7g protein,
  • FarFallaLoca
    Options
    You can eat many snacks instead of 3 meals. Yogourt with grapes or bananas, cheese with an apple, nuts, high fiber cereals. These helped me when I was breastfeeding and not able to make a real good meal in the first weeks/months.

You don't have to eat for two, simply eat better.

And drink a lot of water !

Enjoy :-)-
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think Dairy is your best bet. Yogurt with nuts of any variety, 2% cottage cheese etc. Greek Yogurt is a great protein source, but lower in fat. Still something to consider...

Also-

Eggs, peanut butter,almond butter
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Just make sure you eat enough. My daughter's baby weight practically fell off of her and she is now smaller than what she was in high school.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I don't worry one way or another personally about my fat intake, it just usually fairly naturally falls fairly close to being around 20% of my intake. I focus instead on making sure I hit at least 110grams of protein a day, and use egg whites (with 1 or 2 whole eggs when calories allow), and dairy daily.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    How old is your little one? Are you exclusively breastfeeding?

In general, La Leche League recommends eating to hunger and eating foods in as close to their natural state as possible, not necessarily a specific diet. If you are interested, Eat Well, Lose Weight While Breastfeeding, by Eileen Behan, RD is a good source for information on foods. Most of the time, women need to consume around 1500 to 1800 calories a day for exclusive breastfeeding, and should consider dieting only after baby is 8 weeks old and breastfeeding is well established. As a pp mentioned, try not to lose more than a pound a week or your supply might suffer. Stay well hydrated.

I always found LaraBars were a great snack to have around while breastfeeding.

Edited to add: I'm not sure I addressed your original issue. In fact I am pretty sure I didn't. http://www.llli.org/nb/nbmarapr04p44.html is a great web page with lots of nutritional information regarding maternal nutrition and breastfeeding. I hope this tides you over until you see your nutritionist. Basically, what is healthy normally is healthy when breastfeeding, just with a few more calories allowed.
  • oJulia
    oJulia Posts: 33
    Options
    Thank you all! The website on the last post is very useful and the joke about preparing for breast milk made me giggle.

My little boy is 2 weeks old and I am exclusively breast feeding. I am not dieting, I am just tracking what I am eating and am struggling to "make ends meet'. lol

I think I am struggling so much because I really, really, really dislike most dairy products. I eat Greek Yogurt with vanilla extract and honey occasionally.
  • maddymama
    Options
    If your little one is two weeks old, please don't even consider dieting for awhile (6 more weeks). Just focus on getting that nursing relationship established.

1) Make once eat twice: is there a casserole you like (I loved baked whole wheat spaghetti, homemade veggie pasta sauce, etc.). I doubled the batch, ate one froze one. Then ate the second batch a few weeks later. I bought alot of frozen veggies to toss in the microwave in the first month or two-- no prep was always good for me. Better than anything that needed actual work to eat.
    2) Oatmeal is a great breakfast. I add some fresh berries, and a few nuts.
    3) Snacks: Lara Bars are wonderful. So are trail mixes, granola bars, hummus and veggies to dip.
    4) Lunch was usually last night's leftovers, or a pb and J sandwich with fresh fruit or cut up veggies.
    Smoothies made out of yogurt, fresh fruit, frozen fruit, or powdered milk were always yummy, and BONUS I could drink 'em while nursing.

You can do this. I takes some effort, but you can totally do this.
  • oJulia
    oJulia Posts: 33
    Options
    If your little one is two weeks old, please don't even consider dieting for awhile (6 more weeks). Just focus on getting that nursing relationship established.

1) Make once eat twice: is there a casserole you like (I loved baked whole wheat spaghetti, homemade veggie pasta sauce, etc.). I doubled the batch, ate one froze one. Then ate the second batch a few weeks later. I bought alot of frozen veggies to toss in the microwave in the first month or two-- no prep was always good for me. Better than anything that needed actual work to eat.
    2) Oatmeal is a great breakfast. I add some fresh berries, and a few nuts.
    3) Snacks: Lara Bars are wonderful. So are trail mixes, granola bars, hummus and veggies to dip.
    4) Lunch was usually last night's leftovers, or a pb and J sandwich with fresh fruit or cut up veggies.
    Smoothies made out of yogurt, fresh fruit, frozen fruit, or powdered milk were always yummy, and BONUS I could drink 'em while nursing.

You can do this. I takes some effort, but you can totally do this.

If you read what I just posted, I am not trying to diet. I am trying to make sure I am getting everything I need and enough of it.
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think everybody is responding to my long post where I ended it saying I was losing 3lbs per week. . . my 2200 calorie high fat and hihgh protein diet is not low in anything. And my baby is 13 months old *G*
    The original poster is NOT dieting she is trying to figure out how to eat more!
    Heather
  • maddymama
    Options
    I know you are not trying to diet, I was just reiterating that you shouldn't be for a few more weeks.