about to go lift weights and was wondering...

Options
13»

Replies

• wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    As most have said here you need to lift heavy with low reps. You need to aim to lift as much as is comfortable where you are able to lift a maximum of 10 to 12 reps, ideally 6 - 8 reps (no more) before reaching muscle failure.

As most have mentioned, it is a complete myth that lifting heavy makes a woman bulk up. You actually get a perfect physique. Women don't have the hormones to bulk up. Even men find I very difficult to bulk up. Do definitely read the New Rules Of Lifting For Women.

Thank you for being intelligent.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps
    This is best for most situations. I agree, go with the lighter weight, and lift it more times. Unless you want to get bulky...

This makes me frustrated!! It's completely not true.

Low reps, high weight is the way to getting stronger, and great more muscle tone as well. You will NOT get bulky! To get even remotely close (still extremely hard) you have to eat to bulk as well as train, it doesn't just happen by accident, or overnight. Lots of reps is only really good for endurance training.

I personally choose to move up a weight on around 6-8 reps. "Heavy" depends on the rep range, or % of 1RM, not really the actual weight.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps
    This is best for most situations. I agree, go with the lighter weight, and lift it more times. Unless you want to get bulky...

62612647.gif
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    WELL IM GLAD I HAVE MORE TESTOTERONE THAN OTHER WOMEN BCZ I WZ BORN A LIL DIFFERENT LOL! I BULK UP EASILY. IT ALSO MAINTAINS SO I KNOW ITZ NT WATER WEIGHT. I HAVE MAINTAINED MY MUSCULAR PHYSIQUE FOR OVER A YEAR WITHOUT LIFTING WEIGHTS. MY PROTEIN IS ALSO HIGH @ 158 GRAMS A DAY. I LUV IT!!!!! I HAVE DA CUTS N MY THIGHS & EVERYTHING

At 5'8" and 135 pounds, you are far from bulky. I'd imagine you have a low body fat percentage, which is why you have "DA CUTS" in your thighs and everything. What you have is a bad case of the caps lock fever and an aversion to vowels.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    WELL IM GLAD I HAVE MORE TESTOTERONE THAN OTHER WOMEN BCZ I WZ BORN A LIL DIFFERENT LOL! I BULK UP EASILY. IT ALSO MAINTAINS SO I KNOW ITZ NT WATER WEIGHT. I HAVE MAINTAINED MY MUSCULAR PHYSIQUE FOR OVER A YEAR WITHOUT LIFTING WEIGHTS. MY PROTEIN IS ALSO HIGH @ 158 GRAMS A DAY. I LUV IT!!!!! I HAVE DA CUTS N MY THIGHS & EVERYTHING

Why are you shouting?

oh sorry... Y U SHOUTIN' SHAWRTYZZZZZZ
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    low weight high reps

You better be joking!
  • DREXENDELSANGRE
    DREXENDELSANGRE Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We get it ! High weights and Low reps. Its been stated repeatedly in the 2 months since the thread was started.