Excercise Calories - Just a simple Yes or No answer required

Options
Hi All,

hope you have had a good food day today ;-}

I know there are probably numerous posts explaning the technical info about this but I get bored easily.

Currently on 1200 calories per day. Have lost 2 stone up to now, about 1 lb a week, which I am happy with. But up to now I have not had to do any major excersise. I suspect I will have to at some point.

Yes or no - should you use up/eat the equivalant of your excersise calories?

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I think it is something you have to personalize. Some people do eat all their exercise calories, some don't... I am currently trying to find what works for me. When I was eating them all, I kind of stalled out. Sorry I could not answer yes or no! :ohwell:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I am a 'eat those exercise calories' person!! Fuel your body:flowerforyou:
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You are going to get such a mixture of answers! MFP sets your daily calories according to the details that you put in re your lifestyle eg sedentary, active etc. I think that normal everyday exercise that you've always done shouldn't be eaten back but extra exercise should be eaten back if you are hungry. Sorry not to just put yes or no!
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I find when I don't eat all or at least close to my "extra" calories, I tend to stall. I work with a trainer 2x per week, and he is always telling me on not so good weight loss weeks that it's because I'm not eating enough! So funny... eating too much is what put me here in the first place! LOL
  • ellebish
    ellebish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Depnds - I eat them if I am hungry and don't if I am not. But I always have something after a workout as you need to help your body recover, but just because I burned 500 calories doesn't mean I will eat it back :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

hope you have had a good food day today ;-}

I know there are probably numerous posts explaning the technical info about this but I get bored easily.

Currently on 1200 calories per day. Have lost 2 stone up to now, about 1 lb a week, which I am happy with. But up to now I have not had to do any major excersise. I suspect I will have to at some point.

Yes or no - should you use up/eat the equivalant of your excersise calories?

Should I? Yes.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories? Yes.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I work out a LOT. If I don't eat those calories back, or a good majority of them, I set myself up for a binge. So yes, I eat them back. And I'm finally losing weight again.
  • valstreit
    valstreit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should stagger calories so they are not the same across the board. Have a high calories day followed by a low calories day. That higher calorie intake will spike your metabolism. When I say high calories I am talking about healthy food, not junk food.
  • mdmcmillen
    mdmcmillen Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    NO!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Yes.

(But I only eat mine if I'm hungry. As I workout in the evenings, this sometimes makes it difficult.)
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    MAYBE!
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    Great idea! Now we can just count the votes and settle this hot topic debate once and for all!
  • questhaven
    questhaven Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Sometimes - it's not set in stone. If I want to eat, I will do - if I feel full I'm not going to force myself. I think seeing how you feel is the best way - mix it up a little.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If you're only eating 1200 calories, yes. Most people need a lot more than that, especially with exercise. Unless you have a heart rate monitor, be careful about eating all of them back as the numbers on machines at the gym and the one's plugged into MFP can be inaccurate. Definitely eat some of them back though.