Cutting out dairy to lose weight?

Options
I heard from someone today to cut dairy out of my diet to help me lose weight. I refuse to give up greek yogurt, I add plain to my smoothies in the morning. But I also eat cottage cheese, laughing cow cheese, and I drink 1% milk. Could it really be hindering my weight loss? I would be sad to have to give it up......

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Never hindered mine as let's face it, things like Cottage Cheese, Greek Yoghurt and Quark are very filling for quite low calories and can stop you from eating less healthy foods, plus they provide a good deal of protein. Dairy might be an issue for some who are intolerant of it, or who are addicted to cheese, but I cannot see it causing issues otherwise, as long as you watch sodium.

Also, cutting things out, tends to cause intolerances then you find you cannot eat them again without issues, so I would always think carefully about cutting things like dairy out, unless you have physical issues with it.
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My husband cut it out completely and he lost 1.5 pounds every day for a week, and lowered his BP 20 points! (And he was healthy and fit BEFORE he did this). I cut it out and didn't have any results. So I added greek yogurt (and occasionally some cheese) but now I'm on the lactose-intolerant side of my body responding to it... so I hardly eat any.

Instead I'm working on cutting wheat out of my diet. Tough. Waiting for Wheat Belly to come in (ordered online) - hoping it will help motivate me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Did they give you a reason? I know some people have intolerance to lactose, but in general, this does not lead to problems with weight loss, but more GI issues.

As long as you can fit the dairy into you calorie goals and macros there is no reason (outside of some medical condition) that you should give it up. Dairy is a great source of protein and provides a variety of vitamins and minerals.
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Some do, but unless you have a medical reason to right now, I wouldn't. I eat many dairy products and I'm fine, I've never had an issue. I know several nursing mothers that had to cut it and they have lost weight, but as soon as they incorporate it back it, they gain a little back. So I'd say it's a forever change. Not just weight loss.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    maybe cut back to just one serving a week.... for a month and see what happens/

I have heard that, too, and I notive when I cut back a lot on my dairy my belly just feel flatter- weird.
  • Moonlitedi
    Moonlitedi Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I believe anything in moderation is fine. There is a lot of protein in dairy especially Greek yogurt. As long as you cut out junk food and have good food you will be successful. Stay in your calorie goal and exercise and you will lose weight. No sodas or vending machines items. Fat free dairy is great for you as long as you are not intolerant of dairy. Good Luck! The probiotic yogurts are amazing for your body! Keeps your insides on track
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    In my experience people's bodies respond to things differently. For example, I tend to maintain weight if I have more than 2 cups of milk a day even though I finish the day at or below my macros and calories. At first I thought it was because of the sugar, so I lowered it for the day to make way for milk and it made no difference. Don't know why, or what is in milk that causes this in my body, but I suspect this happens to other people too
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You may have an intolerance to the protein or sugar in milk. It's quite common. If you do have problems with anything in milk, it will hinder your weight loss. If you don't, it won't make a difference.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I think if you are eating normally, and not tracking calories, cutting out dairy could really help a person lose weight. I did it at first and couldn't believe how much food I normally ate with cheese in it. Eliminating dairy (especially high fat nice and melty cheese) meant I cut out a lot of fat... and a lot of calories.

Now that I'm tracking, I can't see that cutting out dairy is going to have the same benefits, so I've actually added some back since I missed it so much.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Don't give it up... i lost more weight by choosing low fat dairy alternatives... skimmed milk, low fat cottage cheese etc, Some studies think that thecalcium and other minerals help with weight loss, fat metabolism and plus great source of calcium for strong bones whilst losing weight.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i had to give up yogurt when i noticed i only had gains when i had been having yogurt every day. If you're in doubt, go without for a week or so and see how your body reacts??? I don't drink milk and my only other dairy is a piece of cheese a day.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all that much dairy, mainly just feta and sour cream but I did eliminate it while trying the Whole 30 program and found that I was dreaming about eating cheese I missed it that much!

It didn't made a difference to my weight loss but everyone is different. If you want to try it it might work for you
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    the person you heard that from is just plain weird. why cut it out if you like it?
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I lost nearly 40 pounds here last year and I eat roughly 3 servings of dairy every single day. So no, dairy doesn't hinder weight loss.

My dairy comes primarily from skim milk, fat-free Greek yogurt, low-sodium cottage cheese and small servings of other cheeses. Dairy products are great sources of protein, calcium, vitamin D, potassium and decent sources of some other nutrients. I really don't see any reason to avoid it unless you are lactose intolerant. I personally believe it's foolish for women in particular to avoid it due to the calcium.
  • mela216r
    mela216r Posts: 23
    Options
    I would hesitate to delete an entire food group. As a woman especially, calcium intake is very important to stave off osteopenia & osteoporosis. When I was on weight watchers a minimum of 2 dairy servings daily was required & seems I recall reading a study that proved proper calcium actually enhances weight loss. The trick is to use low fat or fat free so you aren't piling up extra calories. I just don't think it's healthy to take a radical approach & better to make little changes that equate to lifestyle modifications. Imho
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Balance.
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i have cut out dairy just bc i realized that im allergic in the fact that my body produces lots of mucus. i thought i was allergic to other things but i took a nutrition class and when we had to stop dairy i noticed i felt a lot better. do whats right for you!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason too quit dairy, I see no reason to cut it from your dad diet... I have lost 311 lbs. Drinking a couple gallon of 1% milk a week along with cheese and yogurt. It all comes down to caloric intake a d hitting your macro's.... Best of Luck..
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i lost 10 pounds in 3 months by cutting dairy
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I agree -- moderation is key. I recently cut my dairy to less than 10% of my total daily food intake and am losing my belly fat and weight faster than before. Dairy (cheese, butter, milk) is high-fat, calorie-for-calorie, even "low-fat" dairy, so it's not something I eat a lot anymore. I never drink milk but like my cottage cheese and yoghurt, but have happily cut it back to lose my belly fat. I haven't eaten meat in 25 years and didn't lose the belly fat so dairy was the logical fat-food to cut back on. I don't plan to add it back in to my diet at the portions I was doing since it is so high-fat. Try cutting dairy back to maybe 1 or 2 servings a week for a month, and see if it works for you.
    Hubby, on the other hand, cut back his daily dairy consumption along with losing 25 pounds in 6 months on Weight Watchers, AND cured his GERD. We're not sure if the milk helped the weight loss, or the GERD, or both; or if the weight loss helped the GERD! Some people are intolerant of milk and don't even know it till they cut it out of their diet. Then when you add it back in, you feel bad again, only this time you know it!
    Moderation. Good luck!