Not Weight loss related....skunks!!

Options
Oh man, looking for any tips though I have researched online and used a homemade recipe for my dogs because they got into skunk smell--not the oil but still smell like skunk. Hubby put the dogs in here in my computer room because he called a cop to see about the skunk and couldn't have the dogs running loose. I was up until 1:30 am bathing the dogs. However, the skunk smell is all through the house---not a particular place where I can clean it though. I have had the doors/windows open all day long and its helped. Still wish I knew something to clear this smell out! This stuff is headache inducing too. Debbie :sad:

Replies

• Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Sorry the only thing thats helps is open windows and time, maybe sprinkle some baking soda around the room to absorb some of the odors but if the dog brushed up against any type of fabrics it could be days :grumble: :sad:
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I have this somewhere.

Off the top of my head, here's the recipe:

1 qt hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 tsp liquid dish soap

Cover the dog in it (careful on the face!) and let it stay on the dog for 5-10 minutes if you can keep him in the tub that long. Then rinse.

Do NOT store any leftover mixture as it will explode the container.

Not sure what to do about anything the dog managed to touch before you could bathe him though. :embarassed:
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh you poor thing! I share your pain as I've been there many times with my dogs over the years. If you can get a hold of some stuff call "Skunk-Off" it is a miracle solution! Here are a couple of links so you can see what it looks like...

http://www.groomersmall.com/thornell.html

http://www.groomersmall.com/images/Skunk-off-lg.gif

I'm not suggesting you buy it online as I know you need it *NOW*! Phone around to various vet clinics. That's where we got ours. Some pet stores might carry it too. Now we always keep a few bottles on hand (cause we just know we're gonna need it sooner or later). :sad:

For us, this stuff has worked better than any of the other products or homemade solutions. Once, before we found Skunk Off we had a dog that reeked every time it rained for seven months!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • lee4jc7
    lee4jc7 Posts: 2
    Options
    This is the same thing I did and it works good just leave it on long enough!!
  • bigsbydog
    bigsbydog Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    LOL I so know your pain.. My little guy got it in the face and there was not a thing I could do about it .. The vet told me just to wait it out.. And it was the smelliest 2 weeks of my life... The dog natural oils will destink him but it takes about 2 weeks then give them a bath.. I think your pooches have learned their lesson.. Dont mess with pepe la pew..
  • somemansdream
    Options
    The dogs themselves do not smell too bad now. One is a german shepherd/heeler mix and she got some in the face and I cant do anything about that other than avoid getting close to it lol. The house is another issue. Geeze....open windows seem to help the most but if you walk out of the house and leave and come back--you have to get "used to it" all over again.

Small town here so there are no pet stores and the walmart does not carry it as I checked. However, going out of town soon and you can bet I'm going to be checking around.

We've lived here for a long time and its only because the hole in the fence that our puppy Freckles put there that this whole thing took place this time. Needless to say, fence patrol will be a weekly thing.

Thanks guys for the tips and help. Debbie