Frustrated

Options

Replies

• jsukhan
    jsukhan Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    O.o I see no love handle??

Dude, I'm going to tell you the same thing I told you last time. You don't have love handles. That is muscle tissue. You are low body fat at 158 and 6 feet. You are OCD about this. do some back extensions or other kinds of things that will tighten up your obliques if you are really that bothered by it but if I were you, I'd be working on adding some lean muscle tissus.

I do hyper-extensions. And crunches. Suggestions to build this lean muscle?
  • escobar80103
    Options
    you look good...I sure don't see any love handles. But I understand your frustration. Hang in there, you'll get to where you want to be soon. Try something new exercise wise....something you've never tried but want to...break your cycle. Good luck
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Your diet is terrible..learn more about nutrition and you will get in tip tip top top shape!
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jsukhan
    Options
    Your diet is terrible..learn more about nutrition and you will get in tip tip top top shape!

Ok so diet suggestions? I realize I eat the same thing everyday. Its easier to cook something with 5 servings every sunday for my lunches. Pretty much everything I make has at least 4 servings so I make something else for dinner for the week.
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    gotta say, you look in pretty damn good shape to me. I found that cutting out salt and strictly monitoring my sodium intake has drastically reduced my "love handles" a month ago I couldn't feel ANY hip bone... now i can. Sodium is a *****... I got onto doing this by alot of google researching and I'm glad I did cause it seems to be working
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Dude, I'm going to tell you the same thing I told you last time. You don't have love handles. That is muscle tissue. You are low body fat at 158 and 6 feet. You are OCD about this. do some back extensions or other kinds of things that will tighten up your obliques if you are really that bothered by it but if I were you, I'd be working on adding some lean muscle tissus.

First, If you are asking sincerely, weight is not the measure you want to be using at such low body fat. You want to using body fat % and the tape measure. Crunches will not nessesarily get you the look you want and you may never be able to get it dues to genetics and the fast that your hips are slightly wider than your waist.

The hyper extensions should help as well as twists while holding a bar (broomstick) behind your back. Also weighted side bends. Additionally, I'd do less cardio and more of a full strength routine like Starting Strength. This will work your hip, butt and waist area. This however will require you to eat at maitenance and you will gain some muscle mass and your weight will go up not down. But is should lean you out a little more and make you more muscular.

If that doesn't do it for you, you may just have to learn to live with how you look. Trust me, a lot of people would be happy to look as lean as you!
  • jsukhan
    Options

First, If you are asking sincerely, weight is not the measure you want to be using at such low body fat. You want to using body fat % and the tape measure. Crunches will not nessesarily get you the look you want and you may never be able to get it dues to genetics and the fast that your hips are slightly wider than your waist.

The hyper extensions should help as well as twists while holding a bar (broomstick) behind your back. Also weighted side bends. Additionally, I'd do less cardio and more of a full strength routine like Starting Strength. This will work your hip, butt and waist area. This however will require you to eat at maitenance and you will gain some muscle mass and your weight will go up not down. But is should lean you out a little more and make you more muscular.

If that doesn't do it for you, you may just have to learn to live with how you look. Trust me, a lot of people would be happy to look as lean as you!

Eating at maintnance is how many calories?
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Diet suggestions.... cut back the sodium, it is likely killing any weight loss. Eat more, pretty simple. Where are your fruits and vegies? Aim for 5-10 every day. When you make rice, for example, does it have any vegies in it? If not, add a serving of something.... a cup of frozen vegies of your choice would be good and help you cut back on the amount of rice, therefore less sodium. Add a protein and a whole grain with some meals. Most importantly, change your breakfast! Omlettes with vegies are great and easy to make, add a fruit and piece of toast and you are good to go. Oatmeal is also good, I love adding a sprinkle of cinammon and fruit on top. To lose only a few pounds, you will have to make better choices with eating.
  • jsukhan
    Options
    gotta say, you look in pretty damn good shape to me. I found that cutting out salt and strictly monitoring my sodium intake has drastically reduced my "love handles" a month ago I couldn't feel ANY hip bone... now i can. Sodium is a *****... I got onto doing this by alot of google researching and I'm glad I did cause it seems to be working

I realize I need to watch my sodium I still eat too much processed foods.
  • jsukhan
    Options
    Diet suggestions.... cut back the sodium, it is likely killing any weight loss. Eat more, pretty simple. Where are your fruits and vegies? Aim for 5-10 every day. When you make rice, for example, does it have any vegies in it? If not, add a serving of something.... a cup of frozen vegies of your choice would be good and help you cut back on the amount of rice, therefore less sodium. Add a protein and a whole grain with some meals. Most importantly, change your breakfast! Omlettes with vegies are great and easy to make, add a fruit and piece of toast and you are good to go. Oatmeal is also good, I love adding a sprinkle of cinammon and fruit on top. To lose only a few pounds, you will have to make better choices with eating.

I know I need to eat more vegetables. And I try, I eat alot of peppers, brocolli, onions and potatoes. I was eating oranges during coffee breaks at work, but I swtiched it for tomatoe sandwiches. Happily its summer so I'm benefiting from the gardens of my family. I also need to eat more for breakfast.
  • Christylee76
    Christylee76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think you look great:)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    1. Eat more protein. Shoot for more like 150-175 grams a day. You want to accomplish body recomposition and if you don't put the right stuff in, you won't get the results you are looking for.

2. Lift heavy 2-3 times a week to build muscle.

3. Cardio should be short and intense. 20 minute HIIT 2 times a week will peel off that last bit at the waist and create vascularity.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Actually, to me, it looks like you are starting to form your adonis belt. Your hip bone will naturally go in right below it. Look at this photo and you will see what I mean. Keep up the good work and there are websites to work the right areas to develop it.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145380801&page=1

^^this. Those are NOT love handles. You are being your own worst critic, you look yummy.
  • mmapags
    Options

Eating at maintnance is how many calories?

Well the Scooby calculator gave you 2500. That seems about right but you'd have to try a couple of calulators to see what you get. Or go in and change your goals not no weight loss here are see what it tells you. MFP will be lower as it doesn't average in your exercise like Scooby does and adds it in when you log it. I'm guessing it'll give you about 2150 or so. Eating that and strength training will burn off the last bit of fat and develop your muscle mass.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

Ok so diet suggestions? I realize I eat the same thing everyday. Its easier to cook something with 5 servings every sunday for my lunches. Pretty much everything I make has at least 4 servings so I make something else for dinner for the week.

If you are going to do this, then bake 6 servings of boneless, skinless chicken breast. Chicken is such a perfect food for cutting fat and building muscle. I marinade my chicken in Italian salad dressing or vinegarette for an hour or two, then bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes (until 165-185 temp internally. I use a $2 thermometer from Wal Mart to check internal temp).

Then wrap up your chicken for fridge or freezer. Use it on salads or sandwiches, dice it to add to soup or stir-fry, serve it whole with some whole grains like quinoa and steamed veggies. Dice chicken in the morning to add in to an omelet. Add to burritos or fajitas. It is just a super convenient food with something like 26 grams of protein for 4 oz. of chicken.
  • mmapags
    Options
    1. Eat more protein. Shoot for more like 150-175 grams a day. You want to accomplish body recomposition and if you don't put the right stuff in, you won't get the results you are looking for.

2. Lift heavy 2-3 times a week to build muscle.

3. Cardio should be short and intense. 20 minute HIIT 2 times a week will peel off that last bit at the waist and create vascularity.

Great advice! You are consistently missing your protein goal. This is the most important macro. Also, and I did read what you said earlier, but you need more variety in your diet. You are getting the same micro nutrients every day.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    manorexic?
  • mmapags
    Options

If you are going to do this, then bake 6 servings of boneless, skinless chicken breast. Chicken is such a perfect food for cutting fat and building muscle. I marinade my chicken in Italian salad dressing or vinegarette for an hour or two, then bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes (until 165-185 temp internally. I use a $2 thermometer from Wal Mart to check internal temp).

Then wrap up your chicken for fridge or freezer. Use it on salads or sandwiches, dice it to add to soup or stir-fry, serve it whole with some whole grains like quinoa and steamed veggies. Dice chicken in the morning to add in to an omelet. Add to burritos or fajitas. It is just a super convenient food with something like 26 grams of protein for 4 oz. of chicken.

To the food service proffesional in me, it sounds like you've had restaurant or catering expereince cause that how the pros do it!
  • jsukhan
    Options

I do eat a fair amount of chicken. I buy it in 10lb boxes. I tend to vary my meat from week to week between chicken, round steak and different kinds of pork. I realize pork is probably the worst for me, but can't live on just chicken.