Prescription Weight Loss Medication??

Options
I had my annual physical with my doctor today and mentioned that I feel like I have been plateau'd since this past May & she mentioned possibly prescribing me a prescription weight loss medication. To be honest this took me back a little I didn't know there was such a thing! She is doing blood work to make sure nothing is wrong but if nothing is wrong she will prescribe it to me.

Has anyone ever heard of: Adipex website: http://www.drugs.com/adipex.html - what are your thoughts about this??

Replies

• jessihoover
    Options
    no one?
  • SydneyBristowe
    Options
    I've not heard of this particular drug, but having a quick look at that link I'd advise staying away. It's just an appetite suppressant and if you are managing to stick to your calorie goals then it's probably a bit pointless and won't help you much. The other more important issue is in that first line "Adipex-P (phentermine) is a stimulant that is similar to an amphetamine" which just scares me away!
  • bbateman123
    bbateman123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Seems like snake oil to me, the best weight loss pill is to eat right and exercise. There is no magic pill.
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take it but that'sjust me,because when you get off of it you may gain it all back ,I would do it the right way eating healthier foods and protion control and exercise,like i said that's just me.
  • Dubois2
    Dubois2 Posts: 4
    Options
    My sister took something like that to get the last 15lbs off and it worked beautifully. BUT she had to taper off so not so sure about it.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Pharmaceuticals are not the answer. Most pharmaceuticals can have nasty side effects. Nothing can replace healthy food and exercise. Perhaps you could tinker with your macros and get better results? If you must use a diet aid, try using some natural herbs; for example, irvingia, garcinia cambogia, ginger, cayenne, apple cider, hoodia gordonii, etc.
  • erikapereira
    Options
    Do whatever you feel is the best for you. I used to take pills and it helped me at that time.
  • noahsmommie
    noahsmommie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been taking adipex for 3 weeks and love it! So far I've lost 15 pounds during that time. Not only is it an appetite suppressant, but also a stimulant, so I have more energy. It's not a long term solution, but for me it was a good jump start. I was eating a lot before and this has helped me eat much less without being hungry. It may help you get past th metobolic plateau you're facing. Pharmaceuticals are not the answer but may be a good short term aid.