Soy, Rice, or Almond Milk: Which is the Best Alternative?

Options

Replies

• HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Personally I was taken off dairy b/c of possible migraine triggers; I have since been cleared of that trigger but am not prefer almond milk (I drink Silk unsweetened or Blue Diamond Unsweetened).

I tried rice but it upset my stomach

Soy - men and children are cautioned against soy because of the estrogen like properties. Soy is especially good for women going through menopause who have lost the ability to produce estrogen.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy products at all cost, have never tried rice milk-but doesn't sound too appealing. I use unsweetened vanilla almond exclusively.

Anyone using soy...please do some extra research!
  • vmerie
    vmerie Posts: 36
    Options
    Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    all natural goats milk is my fave
  • slimmin_down
    Options
    I use almond milk for breakfast. It's very low calorie and if you are having a bland cereal or something and you use the original almond milk (not unsweetened) then you don't require any sugar, artificial sweetener etc. Having said that, don't expect it to be lolly milk.
  • guapogringo
    Options
    all natural goats milk is my fave

Where do you get this?
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Oat milk is a tasty vegan alternative to dairy milks, and it is also nutritious. Oat milk is made with pre-soaked oat groats, which are hulled grains broken into fragments. Oat milk features a mild, slightly sweet taste, which substitutes well for low-fat or skim milk. Oat milk can also be used in the same way as rice milk or soy milk. Western herbalists recommend oat milk as a tonic for the nervous system. Oat milk is very low in fat and lactose free.
    Vitamins and Minerals
    One benefit to drinking oat milk is its nutritional content. According to the website Soymilkquick.com, oat milk contains 10 minerals and 15 vitamins. Just a cup of oat milk contains 36 percent of the recommended daily allowance, or RDA, of calcium. Oat milk also contains 10 percent of the RDA for vitamin A, which is twice as much as cow's milk. If you suffer from anemia and are looking for vegan options for iron intake, one serving of oat milk contains 10 percent of the RDA.
    Milk Thistle 8500mg UK-Made, purest grade Milk Thistle extract - just 11p/day - free P&P www.naturesbest.co.uk/Milk-Thistle
    Sponsored Links
    Lactose Free and Calcium-Rich
    A surprising fact about oat milk is that it contains more calcium in one serving than regular cow's milk. Oat milk contains 36 percent of the RDA for calcium, while one serving of whole milk contains 28 percent. This fact allows you to get a good dose of calcium each day even if you are lactose intolerant, since oat milk is lactose-free. Many people who are lactose intolerant choose other sources for lactose-free milk, such as rice milk or soy milk. Oat milk might be a better choice for you, because it's typically cheaper to buy, or you can even make it yourself.
    Low Fat
    Not only is oat milk lactose-free and full of many vitamins and minerals, but if you are watching your weight, you will be happy to know that it is extremely low in fat. According to Fatsecret.com, one serving of oat milk contains only 2.5g of fat, and it has no saturated fat at all. Comparatively, one serving of whole milk contains 8g of fat and 5g of saturated fat. If you are worried about weight gain, you will be glad to know that oat milk is also lower in calories than many other types of milk.
    Cholesterol Free
    Since oat milk is made only from grains, it is a great option for vegetarians and vegans. Another benefit of drinking a grain-based beverage: no cholesterol; compare that with regular whole milk from cows, which contains 24mg of cholesterol per serving.
    Lose 2.5 Stone in 4 Weeks Can you lose 2.5 Stone in 4 Weeks? Read our Shocking Report. DailyDietTips.co.uk
    The Subconscious Mind Develop Your Subconscious Mind Download Free Training Today ! www.SilvaIntuitionSystem.com
    Less than 3 Stone to lose Lose weight while enjoying real food & save money too! www.dietchef.co.uk/Lighter-Life
    Be Free From Bloating Choose All-Bran for Breakfast & Feel the Effect in 3 Days!* All-Bran.co.uk/Delicious-Fibre
    Sponsored Links
    References
    American Heart Association: Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations
    Fat Secret: Low Fat Oat Milk
    Nutritional Data Self: Whole Milk

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/267017-what-are-the-benefits-of-oat-milk/#ixzz24THSuKdN
  • srenglish1993
    srenglish1993 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk is best.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Took me awhile to get used to it but I'm using Vanilla Almond Milk.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I assume that you're a guy from your avatar, so I'd suggest staying away from soy milk. It has compounds that mimic estrogen. Almond milk is the way to go, IMO. I wouldn't avoid cow's milk because of "dangers". there's a LOT of FUD (f***ed up data) on the internet. It's good to limit cow's milk because it doesn't have a great protein to carbohydrate level.

Do you have a raw milk source??? We have a local certified oranic farm and they sell it, not sure of your location...but it really is very good. I also suggest unsweetened almond and unsweetneed coconut/almond blend (for smoothies). I don't drink milk any more and don't really eat cereal often (but if I did, the unsweetened (vanilla) almond milk is good in most nutty cereals. I use the unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my coffee.
  • brandilacey
    Options
    Hemp is supposedly better than all of those, so I switched from rice milk to hemp. Almond milk isn' bad for you but to me, it flavors everything and I hate that taste. Commercial cows milk IS HORRIBLE. I don't think anyone should be allowed to drink it. I have bought my daughter some raw milk from a local farm bc she prefers it in cereal, raw milk is great for you.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking cow's milk a few years ago, It does not agree with me. I have since lost the taste for it - I still eat plenty of cows milk dairy products, like cheese, yogurt and ice cream :love:

I was drinking soy for a long time but concerns about the estrogen lead me to look for alternatives.

I now drink mostly unsweetened vanila almond milk - though I still drink soy in my coffee when I go to coffee shops - usually 0.25 cups a day which I am OK with.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I drink soy. It has protein.

I have read all the info about estrogen, and wonder how the many men around the world who eat tofu daily don't gain breasts?

dunno. Not disagreeing with anyone's decision, just pondering how much soy is eaten by asians in so many forms....
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I drink soy. It has protein.

I have read all the info about estrogen, and wonder how the many men around the world who eat tofu daily don't gain breasts?

dunno. Not disagreeing with anyone's decision, just pondering how much soy is eaten by asians in so many forms....
    This always comes to my mind also. But you have to also think about the fact that they've eaten soy for a really long time. Just as many africans are lactose intolorant, asians might just be better at eating soy. I'm sure there's a better way I could have said that haha.

But it's an argument that's definitely got two sides .
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is fairly low on protein and calcium, so if you are using it instead of dairy milk, I would make sure that you get enogh of these nutrients from other sources.

Not true. Almond milk is a GREAT source of calcium. Much better than cow's milk.

Jon (OP), you don't need to worry about getting protein from your milk. You're getting plenty from other sources. The small amounts in your milk source are just icing on the cake :)
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Almond milk is fairly low on protein and calcium, so if you are using it instead of dairy milk, I would make sure that you get enogh of these nutrients from other sources.

Not true. Almond milk is a GREAT source of calcium. Much better than cow's milk.

Jon (OP), you don't need to worry about getting protein from your milk. You're getting plenty from other sources. The small amounts in your milk source are just icing on the cake :)
    For those who cannot consume cow's milk due to allergy or intolerance, almond milk serves as a safe alternative source of protein, calcium and vitamin D. If you can drink milk but desire an alternative, consider these factors in your comparison. Milk contains cholesterol, a type of lipid that increases your risk for heart disease. Almond milk does not. Milk contains a significant amount of fat, including saturated fat that also contributes to high blood cholesterol levels, depending on the type of milk you choose. Almond milk contains 2.5 g of fat with no saturated fat. Each 8 oz. serving of almond milk contains approximately 60 calories while the same serving size of 2 percent dairy milk contains approximately 140 calories per serving. Although cow's milk contains 10 g of protein per cup, the health advantages of almond milk may outweigh the fact that it contains less protein.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/461857-almond-milk-protein/#ixzz24TSZLwzs
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just wondering why you say as a male to stay away from soy? We have milk allergies and my son prefers soy so I am curious.

I'd be interested in knowing that too.

Soy milk has compounds that mimic estrogen, a female hormone.

Oh geez! This still??? Seriously?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Just for what it's worth, even though there are potentially estrogenic effects of soy, this is still a matter of dosage. I don't think men need to run away from soy for fear that they'll grow boobs.

I probably wouldn't choose it as my main source of protein, but I also don't think it's necessary to avoid it entirely.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    i drink soy milk, but now im urged to try almond milk, so can't really say!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    First of all, there are no dangers to drinking pasteurized organic milk. I agree with the warnings against soy milk in the better safe than sorry sense though, especially since soymilk is gross anyway. Almond milk is pretty tasty. So is hemp seed milk.