running - what to do with sore ankles and knees?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kjphotography90
    Kjphotography90 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have a really bad Left knee and ankle. I started taking Triple Flex by Nature's Made and it's made a huge difference. It has Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM to help with joint maintenance and renewal. It's really worked for me. Try it!! =)
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said that you first need to be properly fitted for shoes.

If you are running on sidewalks - stop. It's best to run on a trail or on the streets.

Take glucosamine. I couldn't run if I didn't take it every day.
  • mgalmo
    mgalmo Posts: 4
    Options
    No Look for someplace like 'If the Shoe Fits', call ahead, they should put you on a treadmill or watch you run in order to fit you for the right shoes.

Good luck
  • nadiafox
    nadiafox Posts: 24
    Options
    Get a foam roller - its really good at stretching your ACL which is a common reason for knee pain for running. It helped me when my knee started hurting.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--13796-0,00.html
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda and run on sidewalks by the way.

I understand the logic to avoid both, however in the case of the 2nd, I didn't have an option (that was reasonable being a father of 4 to drive to another location) ... now I have options, but if someone told me I can not run on concrete I would have continued sitting on the couch. Great option? no ... better than sitting on the couch, umm, yes!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Stretch, soak, and get enough rest.

Make sure your shoes aren't the problem (you may not have the right fit even though they're new). I was running in new Pumas that I loved and I couldn't figure out why I was in so much pain when I finished a run... turns out they weren't running shoes, they were "active lifestyle" shoes that were in the running shoe section. I had no idea, they were shaped just like the New Balance I used to run in years ago. It only took a few runs in my new Mizunos to realize how much damage I was doing running 8 miles in the wrong shoes!

I also like using Biofreeze on achey joints and muscles. It's temporary, but it gives you some relief.

And I cannot stress enough the importance of adequate rest. Running, especially long distances, can be very hard on your body. I work off of a 6 day rotation...

Day 1: 5 miles
    Day 2: 3/4/5 mile, sometimes pace, sometimes not
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: 5 miles pace
    Day 5: Long run (10 miles is my max so far)
    Day 6: Rest

In other words, I run about 25 miles every 6 days, but two of those days are rest days.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This early on, it may just be adjusting to the new activity. I had some tenderness around my knees when I started running. I noticed that my knees felt better after I climbed a mountain, and Dr. Google told me that "runner's knee" was caused by weak muscles, so I did lunges and kept climbing mountains. I have no further knee pain.

If the pain persists then you may have to look into shoes that support your gate.
  • rabt6f
    rabt6f Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm thinking I need to try to find a good shoe store first and figure out what type of shoe I need. I'm probably also pushing myself harder than I should at this point (which I usually do), so I need to take a rest day instead of running 6 days a week. I only run for 3 to 6 miles a night, but I'm just begining and new to this. It just feels so great to sweat and get outside! Also, I do run on a concrete pathway. I only have a small amount of time to run between my toddler's supper and bedtime so I don't want to waste 25 minutes of it driving across town. Sometimes I even pack a sack lunch for her and she eats in the stroller while I run. I try to use the time I can find effectivley! So for me, if I'm going to run, concrete is my only option.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm thinking I need to try to find a good shoe store first and figure out what type of shoe I need. I'm probably also pushing myself harder than I should at this point (which I usually do), so I need to take a rest day instead of running 6 days a week. I only run for 3 to 6 miles a night, but I'm just begining and new to this. It just feels so great to sweat and get outside! Also, I do run on a concrete pathway. I only have a small amount of time to run between my toddler's supper and bedtime so I don't want to waste 25 minutes of it driving across town. Sometimes I even pack a sack lunch for her and she eats in the stroller while I run. I try to use the time I can find effectivley! So for me, if I'm going to run, concrete is my only option.

3 to 6 miles a week, on concrete, as a beginner is probably too much. I'd suggest taking a day off between each run to let your body recover. Go easy on those miles too. You are somewhere between 18 and 36 miles a week right now, which is mileage you should take a few months to build up to. Be careful.
  • mwhtmh
    mwhtmh Posts: 14
    Options
    I have a similar problem sore ankles.I also do not know what to do. I had a knee replacement last year so my knees don't hurt but my ankles are killing me. They are not swollen but sore. I am not sure whether it is because I am out of shape, or if I need new shoes ( I wear orthotics - flat feet) or if it is because the track is uneven. I am going to get an ankle brace tomorrow and will see it that helps stabilize me and takes the pressure of my ankles.
  • NyalD
    NyalD Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I suggest slowly transitioning (while you are a new runner it's much easier) to being barefoot and then incorporating minshoes for weather etc. This really helped me.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda and run on sidewalks by the way.

I understand the logic to avoid both, however in the case of the 2nd, I didn't have an option (that was reasonable being a father of 4 to drive to another location) ... now I have options, but if someone told me I can not run on concrete I would have continued sitting on the couch. Great option? no ... better than sitting on the couch, umm, yes!

This made me laugh! For me, the biggest thing that helped me with the pain in my knees & ankles was my form. Don't run with a heel strike, it should be a mid foot strike. Leaning forward slightly helps with the proper form. Not leaning at the waist, but leaning like you're running into a headwind. It took a while before it became natural, but I rarely have pain any more when I run.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    First, if the shoes are not properly fitted by a reputable running store, that could be the problem. Everyone has different bio-mechanics.

It's possible that you are not ready to run that far with the stroller. I would take a few rest days and get rid of the pain. Then start back slowly. Make sure you have some leg strength bu doing lunges, squats, and leg lifts.

I wrote a blog to cover this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/surviving-the-long-run-398961

Please be careful, I have had a number of overuse injuries and it will just set you back. I am no running about 100 miles a month and last year I ran about 500 for all of 2011.

And one more thing - Glucosamine and Chondroitin work for about 33% of the people that take it. Takes about a month to kick in, but it's magic for some of us. GNC is the best brand.