Today's Teen vs. Teen 20 years ago

Options

Replies

• portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    DRUMROLL....:smile:

I would have never guessed this, but the "correct" answer according to the radio DJ is "riding a bicycle".

That is utter bull****... I freaking go running while my girlfriends kids go bike riding. What station was that? that is completly uncredible and retarded.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    All the comments here are much better than the "correct" answer.
    And boy, this thread was one big trip down memory lane!

*agreed*

I was going to give an answer that IO knew would be right, but so wrong. And it was buying cigarettes from a vending machine. LOL. That's how I got them if none of my "of age" friends were around to buy them for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Waiting for hours for your favourite song to come on the radio just so you can frantically hit *RECORD* on your ca-ssette tape.

OMG this! I used to get so mad when the radio announcer would talk AFTER the song started... Always ruined my mix tapes!

HAHAHA
    Yup.
    My mix tape had some poison, INXS and a few others, I forget. But it was a GREAT run mix!

I actually still have mine. As annoying as it was to have the DJ talk over the songs, all these years later I like that I have that recorded. It takes me back.
  • shendras
    shendras Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Using a card catalog at the library?
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Leg warmers. Rewinding VHS tapes. Failing at something.

Hate to tell you this, but Leg Warmers are back. Saw them the other day at Justice for Girls. I looked at my husband and said, "Did we not learn the first time?" LOL!

No! No! Say it ain't so! :noway:
    Yup--and now there are arm warmers, too.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    a spanking?
    Having a tv in their room?
    Decent episodes of Saturday Night Live?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    aLjVe.gif
    Lol I loved this movie since I was a break dancer myself in the 80's. That was Van Damme's first ever appearance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rml_16
    Options
    All the comments here are much better than the "correct" answer.
    And boy, this thread was one big trip down memory lane!

*agreed*

I was going to give an answer that IO knew would be right, but so wrong. And it was buying cigarettes from a vending machine. LOL. That's how I got them if none of my "of age" friends were around to buy them for me.

OMG! We were watching Mad Men last week and Don and another guy got cigarettes out of a vending machine, and I said, "I haven't seen one of those in years!"

I never smoked, but I remember those machines EVERYWHERE.
  • sierrajade2012
    Options
    HS graduation?

SO TRUE!!
  • harleydall76
    Options
    Using a card catalog at the library?

^^^^this

I was SO shocked when I walked into my local library - having not been in one for years at the time. They had no card catalog, you have to use the computer to look something up.
  • cdub78
    cdub78 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Encyclopedias and having to go to the library and look for a book using the Dewey decimal system!!

Kids today don't bother to actually absorb anything they learn and never will as long as Google exists! I tease my 13 year old about it all the time. Funny thing is he actually thinks he knows everything so it's always a debate at our house and Google is used often to prove that I am correct. :tongue:
  • Busymomshantell
    Busymomshantell Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    give the answer already, its clear that all these answers are correct.

I would have never guessed this, but the "correct" answer according to the radio DJ is "riding a bicycle".

That is not correct at all. My daughter is 17 and she has ridden a bicycle. All her friends have.

So true! Both my kids have bikes and ride them all the time. :noway:

I was thinking the same thing - but after they revealed they said - "What do almost no "teenagers" do". So, maybe they are talking just specifically about teenagers...they all get cars nowadays. Lots of kids ride bikes, but I don't see a lot of teenagers riding them.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Caller ID boxes,
    CD walkmans,
    land phone lines hehe
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    HS graduation?

Now that is a blanket statement that is wrong. There will always be people who drop out of high school regardless of the generation. People dropped out when I was in HS and way back when my husband was in HS. To say that teens today will NEVER see High School Graduation is ridiculous.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Having to look things up in encyclopedias
    Typing on a typewriter (and using Liquid Paper)!

Yeah, I don't like the "official" answer, either!
  • rml_16
    Options
    give the answer already, its clear that all these answers are correct.

That is not correct at all. My daughter is 17 and she has ridden a bicycle. All her friends have.

So true! Both my kids have bikes and ride them all the time. :noway:

I was thinking the same thing - but after they revealed they said - "What do almost no "teenagers" do". So, maybe they are talking just specifically about teenagers...they all get cars nowadays. Lots of kids ride bikes, but I don't see a lot of teenagers riding them.

I disagree with the DJ.
  • Busymomshantell
    Options
    I enjoyed remembering the things of my younger years with you all - even though don't neccesarily agree with the "correct" answer - I think the answers on here were much more accurate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    A type writer. A BOOK encyclopedia collection. Flip open projection screen TV (remember the ones with the big red, green and yellow lights?), the clothes and styles of the 80's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Busymomshantell
    Options
    Encyclopedias and having to go to the library and look for a book using the Dewey decimal system!!

Kids today don't bother to actually absorb anything they learn and never will as long as Google exists! I tease my 13 year old about it all the time. Funny thing is he actually thinks he knows everything so it's always a debate at our house and Google is used often to prove that I am correct. :tongue:

Love it! My husband and I have both told our daughter that she could do her research the old fashioned way when she was grounded from internet access. Oh how she hated us. She waited till she got to school to do her research on the school library computer.
  • harleydall76
    Options

Sad, but so true. ANYTHING you ask my teen nephew, he just looks up online. We never were able to do that. Also, I have heard of kids being able to bring calculators into math class. We could NEVER do that. The only exception was a rare tiem when we need thos - what are they called? - Texas Instrument ones. Even then, we wre VERY limited as to how far we could use them.

Also, I hear people say their kids text them from school between classes. Even my nephew texted me a few tiems during the school day once. Um, what? Beepers were all the rage when I was in HS and they were banned. You get suspended if you were caught with one in school.