Today's Teen vs. Teen 20 years ago

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Encyclopedias and having to go to the library and look for a book using the Dewey decimal system!!

Kids today don't bother to actually absorb anything they learn and never will as long as Google exists! I tease my 13 year old about it all the time. Funny thing is he actually thinks he knows everything so it's always a debate at our house and Google is used often to prove that I am correct. :tongue:

Love it! My husband and I have both told our daughter that she could do her research the old fashioned way when she was grounded from internet access. Oh how she hated us. She waited till she got to school to do her research on the school library computer.

My daughter gets all her "news" from YouTube. Drives me batty!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Teens 20 years ago knew what the M in Mtv stood for?

"Portable" cell phones the size of a car battery, which later got streamlined to the size of a brick?

A dimebag costing a dime?

Getting excited over the Sears Christmas catalog?
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    Using a card catalog at the library?

This

along with: talking to a librarian or a real person to find out information, BOOKS
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options

^^^^this

I was SO shocked when I walked into my local library - having not been in one for years at the time. They had no card catalog, you have to use the computer to look something up.

What is a card catalog? I've never even heard of that.... Is it just a giant list of all the book in the library?!
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Drinking alcohol at college
    Yeah I don't think that's a thing of the past, sweetie.

True that!

I guess I meant Drinking with impunity was a thing of the past.
    When I was a teen in the 80s, most college students were under age, but most also drank openly in their dorm room.
    Now friends with children at college say police patrol the dorms and underage drinking has to be done on the down low.
  • rml_16
    Options

^^^^this

I was SO shocked when I walked into my local library - having not been in one for years at the time. They had no card catalog, you have to use the computer to look something up.

What is a card catalog? I've never even heard of that.... Is it just a giant list of all the book in the library?!

Poor Dewey and his decimals. :-(

Basically, yes. In alphabetical order and you could cross-reference author and title. The letters and numbers you see on the books' spines are a leftover of that.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Car windows that had to be rolled down (not electric).

Unfortunately, I still have those. And manual locks on my car also...ugh, to be part of the twenty-first century would be nice ;)
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    The best movies ever! I STILL watch
    The breakfast club
    Pretty in pink
    16 candles
    Grease
    Dirty dancing
    .... they were AWESOME. LOL
    And I almost forgot - the REAL Footloose!
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    give the answer already, its clear that all these answers are correct.

I would have never guessed this, but the "correct" answer according to the radio DJ is "riding a bicycle".

That is not correct at all. My daughter is 17 and she has ridden a bicycle. All her friends have.

So true! Both my kids have bikes and ride them all the time. :noway:

I was thinking the same thing - but after they revealed they said - "What do almost no "teenagers" do". So, maybe they are talking just specifically about teenagers...they all get cars nowadays. Lots of kids ride bikes, but I don't see a lot of teenagers riding them.

Hmm...i was a teenager 20 years ago and I think I actually stopped riding my bike when I was about 12. This is probably just isolated to me because I moved to a different town where the streets were much busier. I still played outside a lot, it just changed to basketball, softball, swimming instead of bike riding. And I didn't have a car until I was 18...
  • Onemoodycuss
    Onemoodycuss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A smack / belting / wooden spoon etc

^^^^^^ THIS. TOTALLY.

A good old fashioned *kitten* whupping.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I could see how thats true. I rode allot of bmx when I was a teenager with a buddy when we were in highschool. Pretty sure me and him might have been the only 2 kids at our school that still used pedal power at all @ that age, and that was a almost 10 years ago.
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options

^^^^this

Basically, yes. In alphabetical order and you could cross-reference author and title. The letters and numbers you see on the books' spines are a leftover of that.

I haven't seen a card catalog since the early 90s when I was in elementary school. Even then, it was rarely used because we had a computer catalog for most of the books. Computer catalogs are so much easier so I'm glad for that. However, I'd love to get my hands on a nice looking old card catalog as a neat piece of furniture... all those little drawers. :)

By the time I was in college, I could surf full content on every periodical in the university's physical collection, plus more they only had in digital, by just logging on the library's website from my laptop in my dorm room. I still had to go to the library for books, but I wrote a number of papers using the digital database of academic journals without setting foot in the library.

Even when I did need a book, I didn't always check it out. Sometimes I just used the scan-to-email button on the copy machines to get what I needed on PDF for later, so that I didn't have to carry anything home with me.

Our university didn't use Dewey's decimals. They used the Library of Congress method. Since I was only taught Dewey in school, I would have had a lot of trouble with the university library if it wasn't cataloged online.

The local branch library when I was in high school didn't use Dewey either. They reorganized to match what bookstores use. I loved it when they did that. It made browsing a lot more fun.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Please be kind and REWIND!
  • littlehedgy
    littlehedgy Posts: 192 Member
    Options

^^^^this

OHHHH! okay. I know the (or I used to) Dewey system! I guess I should have known that it would have been on cards or something. My entire library going life has been on computer so that's the only way I know to look for a book
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Sitting in front of the stereo with a blank tape set to record but paused while listening to your favorite radio station waiting for a song to come on that you want to record.

Also, Rico Suave.

I did this when I was a kid.. And I'm only 20 so it's not that old school :)
  • rml_16
    Options
    Sitting in front of the stereo with a blank tape set to record but paused while listening to your favorite radio station waiting for a song to come on that you want to record.

Also, Rico Suave.

I did this when I was a kid.. And I'm only 20 so it's not that old school :)

Of course it's old school! You're just retro. :-)
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Dial up internet and Sony Discman
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Today's teens have never used an encyclopedia.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    A Walkman and probably most haven't ever needed a portable CD player.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Also, Rico Suave.

this!! lol